Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 08:36 AM

25,733 posts, read 17,496,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Well then that's just too bad isn't it?
We need a smaller pyramid with fewer people generally as our need for workers declines by the hour.
^^I'll rephrase that:
Our grandchildren need a smaller pyramid with fewer people generally.
Tighten your belt. Give them a decent shot at a successful life.
The pyramid of a declining population is inverted.
It looks like Detroit. In Detroit metro there are 2,516 homes and 80% of them are for sale. Median listing price of $53 per square foot.

However, your grandchildren who live in America will probably not see a declining population - at least not in most parts. North America will do very well for a very long time because of the number of immigrants.
Canada has set a goal of tripling it's population to 100M by 2100.
What your grandchildren will see is a general shortage of almost everything, caused by a disrupted supply chain of items and ingredients made overseas by countries who truly are declining. Similar to what we are seeing now, but worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:51 PM

11,170 posts, read 6,753,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Perhaps there will come a day - and it is beginning to look like this - most of humanity will live in North America and Europe, where the climate is temperate.
Curious about this. What does a temperate climate have to do with it? Many of the hottest climates have the most kids: Africa, the Middle East....even if Asia is going down.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307

Perhaps there will come a day - and it is beginning to look like this - most of humanity will live in North America and Europe, where the climate is temperate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Curious about this. What does a temperate climate have to do with it? Many of the hottest climates have the most kids: Africa, the Middle East....even if Asia is going down.
Migration is regional, with Africans and middle Easterners going to Europe and South Americans & Central Americans going to North America.
Asia does not welcome foreigners and no one sees that changing. Ditto for many Eastern European nations.

Most people are aware that the African countries have the highest fertility rate, but that, too, is declining. From 2000 to 2020 it went from 5.25 to 4.33 and is expected to decline in line with fertility rates everywhere.
I don't think anyone has tried to forecast African population in 100 years with any certainty, but a fertility rate of 1.0 like South Korea has would send Africa population into a spiral because of Africa's infant mortality rate (about 43 per 1000) and life expectancy (63 years).

Old 10-27-2021, 08:57 PM

The National Interest had some interesting thoughts, particularly about the collapse of China.

China’s population will shrink fast. If its (Total Fertility Rate) TFR stabilizes at 1.2—1.2 would represent a big increase—China will have a population of only 480 million by the end of the century.
If the TFR does not increase from where it is now, the country by then could end up around the 400 million mark.

The article goes on to discuss the fact that once the TFR slips below 1.5 the country falls into a trap pf low fertility and will not recover at all.

China is interesting to discuss simply because of its size. It allows demographers to plot out what will happen in the rest of the world as TFR continues to decline everywhere. Politicians can lie, mathematics does not.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature...e-china-180960

Old 12-01-2021, 02:10 PM

158 posts, read 158,308 times
Depopulation is the main focus of the Club Of Rome.

"In search for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of
global warming, water shortages, famine and the like, would fit the bill"

"The First Global Revolution; A Report By The Council Of The Club Of Rome"
1st Edition, Chapter "The Vacuum", Page 104
Alexander King, Bertrand Schneider
Pantheon Books, New York, 1991
ISBN 0-679-73825-8
Attached Thumbnails
The Shrinking Global population..-first-global-revolution-book.jpg  

Old 12-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiecd View Post
Depopulation is the main focus of the Club Of Rome.

"In search for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of
global warming, water shortages, famine and the like, would fit the bill"............
If their aim was to unite the world, it looks to me like they have failed completely. Because the world is not united against a single one of their "enemies".

I hope they are not giving themselves credit for reducing world population. Almost none of the many millions of young women choosing to have no or one child, have ever heard of their club. Women choose to not have babies because it is better for them, and I don't see that changing.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:49 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,461,299 times
According to this article a couple days ago, America will see a population collapse. I think it could happen, because homegrown young people are losing interest in children for various reasons. Also, a portion of population in the US is not interested in seeing very much legal immigration, as indicted by the low quotas. In addition to this, many potential immigrants are not very interested in moving to the US. Sure we have millions from south of the border that interested in the opportunity here, but those are the people that looked down upon by a portion of the American populace. Europeans aren't lining up to get here like they were in other times, life is too good where they already are!

America is looking down the barrel of population collapse

The long decline in the U.S. birthrate continues. 2020 saw the fewest babies born relative to the population of women between 15 and 44 of any year in American history. A recent Pew poll found the fraction of non-parents between 18 and 49 saying they were "very likely" to have kids fell from 32 percent in 2018 to 26 percent this year, while the fraction saying they were "not too likely" or "not at all likely" increased from 37 percent to 44 percent.

There are strong reasons to think these trends will only escalate. Absent major changes, in the next decade or two, the American population is likely going to start falling fast.....

https://news.yahoo.com/america-looki...105514944.html

Old 12-01-2021, 07:00 PM

158 posts, read 158,308 times
Quote:
If their aim was to unite the world, it looks to me like they have failed completely. Because the world is not united against a single one of their "enemies"
I don't think they mean that. The book is about how to control the minds of the world's population, to get them to accept losses of liberties, by scaring them. The book is saying that climate change etc was created from scratch (i.e., faked) to scare the public, so the public would unite and do what they are told.

Accepting, and even wanting, less people on the planet is one of the things they are being told.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiecd View Post
I don't think they mean that. The book is about how to control the minds of the world's population, to get them to accept losses of liberties, by scaring them. The book is saying that climate change etc was created from scratch (i.e., faked) to scare the public, so the public would unite and do what they are told.

Accepting, and even wanting, less people on the planet is one of the things they are being told.
My bad. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the group recognized those threats and sought to unite mankind to combat real threats.
The idea that that group of threats was created out of thin air makes the book worth reading. I'll put it on my list.
Thanks!

Many people have spoken up, wanting fewer people on earth. My view is, it doesn't much matter what we as individuals want, because what we're going to get is a decidedly less populated planet. And with it comes a host of problems as well as some solutions to today's problems.
South Korea is one country leading the charge downward and it seems like they have accepted it. Mathematically, we are told the last South Korean will die in 2800, but the country itself will cease to function long before that.
South Korea will not be alone. Many countries will cease to function in the future - almost all countries that we call Eastern European will lose 20% of their population by 2050. But that's because of out migration as well as low fertility rates.
Land in Bulgaria will be very cheap.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:52 AM

34,205 posts, read 83,398,116 times
Quote:
The idea that that group of threats was created out of thin air makes the book worth reading.
I'll put it on my list.
This issue warrants a thread or ten of it's own.

The question is which of the cra-cra end of the spectrum forums should host them.
I don't think CD qualifies ...at least not beyond the cesspool of P&OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates