Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 10:37 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,949,905 times

Advertisements

The U.S. could solve its declining birth rate by fostering a safer, more prosperous economy. People tend to have more children in times of stability and optimism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 11:23 AM

1,651 posts, read 872,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nonsense.
Population decline was never applied to China in the 60's. The one-child policy wasn't instituted until the 70's and as late as the early 2000's China was touted as one of the great growth stories in the world.
Allow me to clarify. There have been articles predicting the collapse of Communist China since the 70s. The reasons have always varied. At first it was "China has too many people" and now "China will not have enough people." Mix in criticisms of their economic model, social structure, etc. and you get the picture. China is still going and has ironically gotten stronger. I never buy too much into these theories and see many as pure wishful thinking. Not say China isn’t without its challenges, that is the nature of the world. Every nation faces challenges. The hallmark of a good government is being adaptive.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The U.S. could solve its declining birth rate by fostering a safer, more prosperous economy. People tend to have more children in times of stability and optimism.
In theory this makes since, but it doesn't hold up so well in developed countries. Ironically the most prosperous countries tend to have the fewest children. I know a lot of people who can afford children but still choose not to have them. I think it's more cultural than anything else. To obtain a high degree of material possessions and reach one's full potential, many people mistakenly feel or believe they must sacrifice family. I found out when I had my first, children add far more purpose, value, and joy to your life then a career. Not saying it's wrong or right to have children, just observations.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:01 PM

572 posts, read 280,817 times
A graph that can shed some light on the causes of the problem.
In 1967 82.7% of 25-34 year olds were living with their spouse. In 2021 that had dropped to 37.5%.
There's more at the link.

https://snippet.finance/living-arrangements/

Old 05-12-2022, 06:00 PM

25,599 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
A graph that can shed some light on the causes of the problem.
In 1967 82.7% of 25-34 year olds were living with their spouse. In 2021 that had dropped to 37.5%.
There's more at the link.

https://snippet.finance/living-arrangements/
Pretty revealing graph!
Even though that graph only applies to the US, I would imagine it applies equally well to other developed countries.
In the opinion of some demographers, the US will continue to grow in population, but only due to immigration. No one can see past 75 or 100 years, but by the 2100 the numbers show a US with a population of 500M, China with 700M and Russia with 70M.

Most interesting to me is the opinion of Peter Zeihan, who wrote The Accidental Superpower. In 2014 he predicted the Russian turmoil that we are seeing now, as well as the rise of Turkey, which we are also seeing.
He feels America will be the only superpower left and it will lose interest in running the rest of the world, the way it is done now. At that point - coming pretty soon - America will turn more inward than ever before and pay less attention to foreign wars than ever before.
The result, he opines, will be a more turbulent world with a more peaceful America. And it is all due to our marvelous climate and geography, which allows us to provide for our own energy and food needs more than any other country on earth. The fact that we can live free from worry of invasion helps a lot.

For me, as an American, that whole thought seems refreshing.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:22 PM

I'm just not seeing how the U.S. population will grow to 500 million by year 2100. The tide in this country has become very anti-immigrant as in most Western nations. Gone are the days of allowing mass immigrants from poorer Latin American nations. Just look at the recent numbers. Allowing high skilled Asians whom themselves have no more than 2 kids per household isn't going to move the needle. Even the poorer Latin American immigrants don't have as many children thanks to widespread easy access to contraceptives. I would bet on the population increasing slightly to moderately. Course year 2100 is a long time out, so who knows.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...he-nation.html

Interesting article with data from the Census. Not going to hit 500 million with these numbers.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:41 PM

25,599 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I'm just not seeing how the U.S. population will grow to 500 million by year 2100. The tide in this country has become very anti-immigrant as in most Western nations. Gone are the days of allowing mass immigrants from poorer Latin American nations. Just look at the recent numbers. Allowing high skilled Asians whom themselves have no more than 2 kids per household isn't going to move the needle. Even the poorer Latin American immigrants don't have as many children thanks to widespread easy access to contraceptives. I would bet on the population increasing slightly to moderately. Course year 2100 is a long time out, so who knows.

Interesting article with data from the Census. Not going to hit 500 million with these numbers.
True.
But with The Wall gone and people tumbling across in numbers too high to really count, it just might make it.
It takes an increase of .52% per year to get from 331M to 500M in 80 years (I worked out the math). So by the time our natural birth rate adds a few and a few more come across the border, we might be closer than you'd think. Depends on who is in power, what they think, and what action they take more than anything.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:59 AM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post

There are numbers and there are numbers. Or as the old joke goes, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

With Xoe letting between two and five million per year across our border, the outlook for the USA and in fact all of Western Civilization is pretty grim. Hordes of gangsters, fentanyl, assorted thugs, uneducated people from every nation on earth including our most deadly enemies, all of them getting propped up on the government aka OUR dime, therefore no incentive to work. We could easily have 20+ million invaders inside our borders by January 20, 2025.

That is akin to some European nations allowing hordes of Muslim immigrants, who are hostile to Christianity and Western Civ in general.
None of this looks good for the West. Unless you're just talking raw numbers with no thought to the culture, language, and borders.

No border no nation.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:30 PM

572 posts, read 280,817 times
TFR in India has fallen below replacement rate to 2.0. Some states are less, and I believe just four of the 36 states are above the national average. That said, the absolute population will continue to increase for some time because the 10-25 y.o. cohort currently represents 30% of the population.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...751803433.html

Old 05-22-2022, 05:51 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
TFR in India has fallen below replacement rate to 2.0. Some states are less, and I believe just four of the 36 states are above the national average. That said, the absolute population will continue to increase for some time because the 10-25 y.o. cohort currently represents 30% of the population.

Exactly. I think people misunderstand rate and absolute numbers.

Regardless, there are billions of people living in ghastly poverty on all levels. If the number of those who live better increases, resources use and destruction will increase (who wouldn't want an air conditioner or motorbike?) Declining numbers are our only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates