Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 03:13 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,928,549 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1930's, unions were needed. This isn't the 1930's anymore. The numerous/various governmental entities have taken care of the "worker rights" issues to the inth degree.
Unions are simply no longer needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 03:18 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,171,428 times
When I was in the steelworkers union in the early 80's, only union to cross our picket lines were the Teamsters. We picketed over unsafe working conditions. We were working with lead soldier and had to be tested every two weeks and the company stopped paying for the testing, even though it was in our contract.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Back in the 1930's, unions were needed. This isn't the 1930's anymore. The numerous/various governmental entities have taken care of the "worker rights" issues to the inth degree.
Unions are simply no longer needed.
Really? Did you know that if you are a "salaried" employee, you can be made to work for 40 hours or 60 hours for the same weekly check?

Old 01-18-2022, 03:24 PM

8,120 posts, read 7,496,176 times
Unions rely on solidarity. If nobody crosses the picket line then obviously management will lose revenue and has no choice but to concede to the union's demands, whatever those demands are.

I would have to look at the union's demands before I would decide on crossing a picket line or not. I wouldn't go out of my way to cross one out of spite.

I was once a UCFW worker so I may have a pro-union bias.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,739,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Really? Did you know that if you are a "salaried" employee, you can be made to work for 40 hours or 60 hours for the same weekly check?
Yep.

Most high-paying jobs with six figures plus def require putting in 60+ hours per week. So? It's worth it.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:27 PM

705 posts, read 510,972 times
I was a Union member all my working career. I did cross the line when I got the story. The Retail Clerks Union was organizing a small grocery chain. They had their demands. So what the owner of the chain did was go to the employees and ask what they wanted. They told him, he goes, ok. Done. I asked one of the workers stocking vegetables what they wanted, he said everything that the Union wanted. Wage scale, medical insurance for dependents, couple of extra holidays, better match to the 401k. So the owner gave the employees exactly what the Union was demanding except now they didn’t have to pay Union dues, and, the owner could run his business. And ironically the people out front of the store were not even in the Union, they were paid by the Union to walk the line. After a couple weeks they left.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:15 PM

25,641 posts, read 17,379,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Yep.

Most high-paying jobs with six figures plus def require putting in 60+ hours per week. So? It's worth it.
I call it the "hourly mentality". People who have an hourly mentality will never understand those who do not.
I put in lots and lots of long weeks with travel, and I worked jobs with straight commission which required me to travel and pay my own expenses.
I would have had it no other way.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:39 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,636,594 times
I would cross a picket line if the issue was money. I grew up poor, but even as a kid I never understood how or why not working and causing problems for a company should arrive at higher wages, which is the only thing I myself have ever witnessed.

However, I would like to think I'd heed a striking crew that was doing so out of safety concerns that can be dealt with or regulations being thwarted.

If I came to the fish market and saw striking fisherman...
Cross if the only issue is money....nobody is tying you to this employer.
Don't cross if the issue is boats are not being maintained and required safety equipment is missing or not maintained.
Don't cross if the company is forcing employees to do something bad. (Fish with grenades, dump sludge into the water etc.)

Old 01-18-2022, 08:56 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,687,049 times
I really don't understand all the comments from people who seem to think they're entitled to decide what certain employees should be paid. You don't work there, you don't know what the working conditions are, you don't know the workers are treated, whether they're respected or disrespected. You act as though it's easy to quit and get a better job.

Damn right I respect picket lines. I've picketed in support of union workers. I'm not siding with the bosses when the people who actually do the work and make the products or provide the services are saying that they should get more, or have safer working conditions, or whatever it is.

You can always decide whose side to pick, and I conclude that the workers are more worthy of my support than the bosses. I also think we are better off as a society if we can strengthen the power of the workers.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Yep.

Some fast food places like Burger King do the same thing and those are not for big wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates