Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:18 PM

14 posts, read 7,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
They also liked to drop drywall screws and roofing nails on the pavement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
If they had gone on strike, I would have quit my job as I could not in good conscience not gone in to work but I wasn't willing to risk having a flat tire as nurses who crossed the picket line did.
Good to see that if you don't fully support communism in the workplace that your car will get vandalized as a result. Unions should all be abolished. They are a completely self-serving "us v. them" mentality that has far outlived its purpose, and causes far more harm to society than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 03:19 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCorsair View Post
Good to see that if you don't fully support communism in the workplace that your car will get vandalized as a result. Unions should all be abolished. They are a completely self-serving "us v. them" mentality that has far outlived its purpose, and causes far more harm to society than good.
One's car being vandalized, as opposed to the insane bloody brutality brought upon striking workers by management, not exactly a war between milquetoasts but certainly lopsided when considering the history of organized labor in America..It's really a very simple thing, one's interests are best served by contractual agreements, especially in this overly litigious nation of ours. Convincing management of the fact that their interests are most definitely served by having a labor contract isn't always easy.

Once more---The American labor movement toward unionism was a RESPONSE to a careless greed demonstrated by all of our major industries, so, when greed is a thing of the past, unions may well follow. Until that time, unions will grow, again, as a response to unmitigated greed.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
That applies to "scabs," or the people hired to replace the striking workers. The strikers can't force customers and the rest of society to strike with them. If you need to buy things go in to the store.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:10 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
It's an effective organization tactic against the original perpetrators of class warfare (the wealthy). People like to glorify the military for fighting for our freedom, but let's not forget those who fought, struck, and died/got murdered for our worker's rights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

We'd all be working 100 hours a week at age 10 if people crossed picket lines. It is the equivalent of making a sealed container, only to poke a hole in it. Wouldn't you be upset if you poked a hole in your bucket (a bucket that puts food on the family table for many)?

Crossing a picket line is your choice. So is siding with billionaires instead of your own peers, you just can't be surprised when people view you as a class traitor. That's their choice, as well.
Well said. I had an opportunity to work as an internal "scab" when I worked in the office of an oil company as a geologist and could work as a refinery operator during a strike in another city. Many of my coworkers did because of doubled wages. I grew up in a union steel company community to a whole family of steel workers and refused. It just wasn't right. I find out the scabs got regularly harassed or beaten up at the local bars and restaurants and ended up having to live inside the refinery at its health clinic like they were in prison. Served them right!

Old 06-05-2022, 11:13 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Back in the 1930's, unions were needed. This isn't the 1930's anymore. The numerous/various governmental entities have taken care of the "worker rights" issues to the inth degree.
Unions are simply no longer needed.
They are needed now more than ever. I do agree that a few individual unions have some problems either being too pro-management and incestuously linked to provide service to union members and also some with corruption and embezzlement problems, although this was mainly in the 60s and 70s. Unions are much more transparent today.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-05-2022 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Deleted profanity. Please, no profanity in Great Debates -- not even abbreviations of it. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:32 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
How do people feel when there's no "line"? Like Amazon. How would you even know warehouse employees are trying to organize? If you did know that a warehouse was trying to organize, how do you know which Amazon warehouse services your address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates