Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 01:52 PM

572 posts, read 281,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Self-Defense firearm usage happens nearly every week. Most media outlets refuse to report on it though.

There is a publication called 'The Armed Citizen' that every week publishes news articles about these self-defense shootings.

I mentioned it one time in a group and one of my friends [a respected lawyer] stopped me and made the claim that a self-defense shooting has NEVER happened in her lifetime. As a result of her saying that, I started the personal habit of every Tuesday I send to her a link to each weeks' 'The Armed Citizen' article.

www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen/
The two examples provided involved armed citizens opposing people whom it wasn't claimed were armed. That's a different issue to the one I posited.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:02 PM

In 2018 Rand corp initiated an ongoing study of gun policy, that to date has made surprisingly few conclusions one way or the other.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-po...N000007cs06QAA

It's harmful to link mental health issues to gun violence. Most people with MH issues never commit gun violence.

https://www.health.com/news/mental-i...N00000dFvFTQA0

Old 05-26-2022, 02:20 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
... No one hunts for subsistence anymore. It's purely sport.
I must disagree with you.

The township I live in is fairly rural [<10 people per square-mile], about one-third of the properties in our township have access to paved road and/or grid power, and every home has firearms.

We have one storefront retail business in our township and he is the gunsmith.

I do not subsistence hunt, mostly because I am a pig breeder. I have four chest freezers filled with retail pork, USDA inspected and legal for retail. As far as I am aware every household in this township either raises livestock or else hunts for meat.

Every winter there are usually a couple bears that over-winter / hibernate on my land. I do not hunt them though, these are black bears roughly half the size of a pig. They do not bother me or my pigs, so I dont bother them.

Most of my shooting is coyotes. Bears will wake-up in early Spring and they may be very hungry but when they see pigs 2 or 3 times bigger than they are, bears will wander off in a different direction. They have no desire to mess with adult pigs. Coyotes on the other hand as a social group seem to enjoy harassing pigs. Last year I got a new Thermal-imaging riflescope on my .50 rifle. It makes shooting coyotes a lot easier.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:29 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
The two examples provided involved armed citizens opposing people whom it wasn't claimed were armed. That's a different issue to the one I posited.
A previous poster said:
Quote:
... With 400M guns in the US, how many times has an armed member of the public used a firearm to prevent or end a tragedy?
To which I responded that firearms are used for self-defense weekly.

There is a publication that shares the news articles documenting this, and I shared a link to that publication.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:37 PM

Gun ownership is in long term decline (perhaps like the NRA). It's mostly white males these days.

Quote:
OVERALL HOUSEHOLD GUN OWNERSHIP
n From 1977 to 2018, the percentage of American households that reported having any guns in the home dropped by 32 percent.

n During this period household gun ownership hit its peak in 1977, when more than half (50.4 percent) of American households reported having any guns. By 2018, 34.3 of American households reported having any guns in the home, a drop of 16 percentage points.
n In 2018, just over a third of American households reported having a gun in the home.
n In 2014, household gun ownership hit its lowest level ever recorded by the GSS (30.8 percent). And while this percentage increased slightly in both 2016 (31.0 percent) and 2018 (34.3 percent), it is not statistically significant.

Quote:
Key factors contributing to the continuing decline in household and personal gun ownership in America include the following.
n The aging of the current-gun owning population, primarily white males, and a lack of interest in guns by youth.
n The end of military conscription.
n The decreasing popularity of hunting.
n Land-use issues that limit hunting and other shooting activities.
n Environmental and zoning issues that force shooting ranges to close and limit new range construction.
n The increase in single-parent homes headed by women.

https://vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf

Old 05-26-2022, 02:50 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Gun ownership is in long term decline (perhaps like the NRA). It's mostly white males these days.

https://vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf
You might need a deeper dive into the numbers:

https://freerangeamerican.azurewebsi...un-sales-2021/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...020-2021-study

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/26/98969...mass-shootings

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/29/u...-pandemic.html

Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,252,522 times
The RIGHT to bear arms cannot be subject to a tax.
But the PRIVILEGE to bear arms certainly should be taxed.
The question is : When did YOU cease to be one of the people with endowed rights, and consented to be a subject citizen with only government privileges?
Was fraud used to get that consent?
Ask your friendly public servant to explain how that came about.

Remember, pursuant to the republican form of government, all men have Creator endowed rights that governments were instituted to secure - not tax, regulate nor trespass.
TWO exceptions :
[] In pursuit of justice on behalf of an injured party
[] By consent of the governed

Old 05-26-2022, 02:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,754,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post

Point is having an armed civilian population will not discourage nor protect from a hostile government (foreign or domestic). You just can't match the fire power, training, or actual warrior spirit.
If that is true, how did the Taliban sent the Red Soviets and our very own US Army back home ? They are a bunch of goat herders with AK 47s. What about Fidel Castro's peasants beating the Cuban army of Fulgencio Batista?

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-26-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 PM

Apples v. oranges. In any case 5M is only 1.5% of the population. About 3.5M die every year, so just normal turnover.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:26 PM

460 posts, read 312,217 times
Quote:
Apples v. oranges. In any case 5M is only 1.5% of the population. About 3.5M die every year, so just normal turnover.
LAST YEAR, ONE YEAR, not the last decade, not the last century, IN THE LAST YEAR 5.5 MILLION people bought firearms for the FIRST time. That doesn't count the firearms sold to people that already have them.

From the NPR article:

In January, more than 4 million background checks were processed, compared with the previous January's 2.7 million. And in February 2021, 3.4 million checks were reported; in February 2020, 2.8 million were completed.

During the entire month of March 2021, the FBI completed nearly 4.7 million background checks compared with the same month the year before when the agency reported 3.7 million checks.

And it isn't "old white guys" buying them either.

Again, from the NPR article:

First-time gun owners, young and old from across the country, are helping to push record levels of gun sales for what looks like the second year in a row.

"My gun store has had a run like I've never seen before," said Todd Cotta, the owner of Kings Gun Center in Hanford, Calif., in the state's agriculturally rich Central Valley. "It was just an avalanche of new gun buyers for the first time."

These buyers are white, Black, Asian and Latino and come from all political beliefs. And they're being driven by uncertainty, fear and a need to feel safe.

Your arguments completely fall to pieces in the face of fact. The only thing slowing gun sales is inventory.
NPR:
Despite the demand, gun shops aren't recording a massive financial windfall.

The problem?

Lack of inventory, said Cotta, owner of Kings Gun Center.

"If I would've had a supply of guns and ammunition throughout this last year, it could've been a big boon for me," Cotta said. "But I'm running on 10% of the inventory I used to run with and I can't restock it even today."

That's due, in part, to pandemic-induced inventory issues, such as shipping delays, and continued demand. Manufacturers have focused on pushing out just the most popular gun types to fulfill orders, Cotta said.

The most popular tend to be semi-automatic 9 mm pistols and other handguns, Cotta said.
[/i]

Give it up. Most firearms owners have been fighting for their rights for a long time against false flags, inaccurate and blatently false information and personal attacks for a long time now and are used to countering the outright lies perpetuated against legal firearm ownership.
You're not going to win.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-26-2022 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Edited out unnecessary comment. Tone down the snark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates