Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 02:54 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
How long did it take for the gas powered car to topple the Horse after it was invented? That’s about how long it will take for EVs to take over. It’s going to take a looong time, just like it always has.

There seems to be this rabid fixation or need for this take over to occur RIGHT NOW… by those who like EVs.
Where I live in Calvert County, Maryland there were farmers into the 1970s who still used oxen and/or mules to plow. They weren't Amish.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:43 PM

265 posts, read 150,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Lol, spin it all people want but there are so many EVs sitting on lots currently with huge price cuts...even Teslas.

When the 'gubment interferes with a free market it usually backfires! I could have told anyone that.

There is a humungous percentage of the USA population who wouldn't touch an electric car. Mainly because people are ICE enthusiasts, and the TV and liberals are trying to tell them they should be buying EVs.
Don’t worry, eventually big government, in their infinite wisdom in knowing what is good for us, will make gas vehicles so cost prohibitive to produce or purchase that people will have no other practical choice.

Last edited by amattaro; 10-28-2023 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2023, 07:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Lol, spin it all people want but there are so many EVs sitting on lots currently with huge price cuts...even Teslas.

When the 'gubment interferes with a free market it usually backfires! I could have told anyone that.

There is a humungous percentage of the USA population who wouldn't touch an electric car. Mainly because people are ICE enthusiasts, and the TV and liberals are trying to tell them they should be buying EVs.
The government’s been interfering in the gas and oil market for almost a century. With taxpayer’s money, they currently subsidize big oil at the rate of 20 BILLION dollars ever year. So yes, they now subsidize EVs. Seems like a good idea, especially the subsidizes for manufacturing/assembling EVs in the US even though they’re getting 1/10th of what will be given to the oil and gas industry.

Don’t forget in the 70s lots of people in the US laughed at Japanese cars and said they’d never own one. Then the gas crisis happened and since Japan was turning out smaller more fuel efficient cars, US customers couldn’t buy them fast enough. US car makers were WAY behind the curve and it cost them dearly. Failing to move into the EV market will end up the same. Investment now will keep US manufacturing jobs in the future.

The humongous percent of Americans who say they’ll never buy an EV are over 65. Guess what, they aren’t the car buyers the EV manufacturers are interested in. At all.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The government’s been interfering in the gas and oil market for almost a century. With taxpayer’s money, they currently subsidize big oil at the rate of 20 BILLION dollars ever year. So yes, they now subsidize EVs. Seems like a good idea, especially the subsidizes for manufacturing/assembling EVs in the US even though they’re getting 1/10th of what will be given to the oil and gas industry.

Don’t forget in the 70s lots of people in the US laughed at Japanese cars and said they’d never own one. Then the gas crisis happened and since Japan was turning out smaller more fuel efficient cars, US customers couldn’t buy them fast enough. US car makers were WAY behind the curve and it cost them dearly. Failing to move into the EV market will end up the same. Investment now will keep US manufacturing jobs in the future.

The humongous percent of Americans who say they’ll never buy an EV are over 65. Guess what, they aren’t the car buyers the EV manufacturers are interested in. At all.
Interestingly, despite being the most against them, data shows that the boomers are currently the generation owning the most greener vehicles. Perhaps it corelates with income?

https://inspireadvancedtransportatio...20are%20white.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:13 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Interestingly, despite being the most against them, data shows that the boomers are currently the generation owning the most greener vehicles. Perhaps it corelates with income?

https://inspireadvancedtransportatio...20are%20white.
Yes, I’m sure that’s true. But, since younger folks have a much better opinion of owning an EV, when they have the money more will buy an EV than older people who do so now. And better infrastructure/availability of chargers will also sway more toward EVs.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:24 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
I've had a terrible time looking for an available charging spot thoroughout the town. Every time there's a free spot, it gets taken and I can't charge my EV. There's not enough done to alleviate public charging infrastructure. I doubt other people are as informed as I am using multiple apps to look for available spots. And the public should not have to do that in order to get their EV charged.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:07 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
The trend for EV adoption is steadily upward. In my morning EV newsletter from Bloomberg they tell me this:

Quote:
EVs are headed for over 14 million sales this year. That’s up 35% over last year’s total — yet another record for the industry. ... China is driving the increase. The nation is firmly in the mass-market phase of adoption, with battery-powered vehicles making up 38% and 32% of passenger-car sales in August and September, respectively. ... Europe has been surprisingly resilient. Sales in the region are on track to climb by a fifth this year, to around 3.3 million ... US sales crossed the 1-million mark for the first time this year and are on pace to climb more than 40% from 2022 levels. ... Tesla’s Model Y to become the world’s best-selling vehicle of any type this year after breaking into the top five in 2022. Tesla and BYD combined will account for around 6% of the global vehicle market this year. ...
It's good that China is leading the way as they have to import most or all of the petroleum it takes to run its vehicle fleet. Only about 10% of China's 307M vehicle fleet is an EV at this time, but that's growing rapidly. As EVs grow in sales it will put downward pressure on crude oil prices which benefits all oil consuming nations. I look forward to the day that the USA can live within the 10M BBL of oil it produces daily; right now we use ~18M BBL/day, with ~8M BBL being imported.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-30-2023 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 11:12 AM

Among nations that are buying EVs, Bloomberg tells me this today:

Quote:
The UK is Fourth in EV Sales

Although the UK is only the world's eighth-largest car market, it's behind only China, the USA and Germany with it comes to the number of EVs sold.

The UK advantage also applies to other carmakers, including Cupra (Born), MG (MG4 EV, MG5 EV, ZS EV) and Skoda (Enyaq iV). Continental drivers can choose an electric version of BMW’s iX3 SUV that has yet to cross the Atlantic. The same goes for the Mercedes C-Class sedan. And while Americans have only one electric Volkswagen to choose from — the ID.4 — UK drivers have four of them, including the larger ID.5, the pint-sized ID.3 and the battery-powered rebirth of VW’s storied van, the ID.Buzz.

Of all 72 cars on the UK list, almost two-thirds are made by European carmakers and just 4% come from US companies (one Ford and a couple of Teslas). Roughly 30% are from brands based in Asia, including four models out of China.

That makes the UK somewhat unique among major EV markets: In China, the No. 1 market for electric cars, US- and European-made models account for a small minority of sales. In the US, the No. 2 market, electric cars made in China aren’t available at all.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:18 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Among nations that are buying EVs, Bloomberg tells me this today:
And what %tage of those countries' power comes from renewables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Renault is trying to produce an EV for Europe that retails for about $22K. From today's Bloomberg Hyperdrive column:

With gasoline prices in Europe running about $8/gallon, I'm sure there's a thirst for EVs to get the monkey of high gas prices off their backs . . . as well as kissing goodbye to Russian and OPEC petroleum.
Assuming they have renewable generating capacity. But they don't. They've also largely abolished nuclear.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-21-2023 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 11-16-2023, 10:52 AM

Renault is trying to produce an EV for Europe that retails for about $22K. From today's Bloomberg Hyperdrive column:

Quote:
Renault started with a daring wager. On Christmas Eve in 1898, a young mechanic named Louis Renault bet that the small automobile he’d built would beat the cars of the time up the steepest road in Paris. The stunt was so successful, he secured orders for his voiturette that night.

The French carmaker is now embarking on another big gamble 125 years later, reckoning it can achieve something that’s largely eluded the industry: build affordable electric vehicles and make money on them.

On Wednesday, Renault unveiled a battery-powered Twingo it says will cost less than €20,000 ($21,700). The redesigned city car borrows elements from the popular model introduced in the 1990s and will be positioned to compete with similar offerings from Stellantis, Volkswagen and the Chinese carmakers expanding in a region hit by a cost-of-living crisis.

“This will be a game-changer, once again, like it was 30 years ago,” Renault CEO Luca de Meo said of the Twingo, which will go on sale in 2026. “We want to make EVs accessible and profitable in this part of the world.”
With gasoline prices in Europe running about $8/gallon, I'm sure there's a thirst for EVs to get the monkey of high gas prices off their backs . . . as well as kissing goodbye to Russian and OPEC petroleum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.