Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:49 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times

Advertisements

I heard a news report on radio yesterday that EV committed auto makers are joining together to help finance something like 30,000 new charging stations.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:39 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I heard a news report on radio yesterday that EV committed auto makers are joining together to help finance something like 30,000 new charging stations.
Thank you. I heard that too so I googled and got a hit on CNET. When I stopped at my local public library yesterday I noted two charging stations there for people to use. They've been at one of my supermarkets for at least six years. The automotive industry group is in this together and are going to make it work.

Excerpt:

"There are more than 32,000 DC chargers in North America for the most than 2 million EVs on the road. A group of automakers is looking to almost double that number starting next year. BMW Group, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz Group and Stellantis on Wednesday revealed their plan to build a universal network of 30,000 fast chargers across North America. The joint venture will start later this year, and the first stations are expected to open in the summer of 2024." (NOTE: This is an open source site, no paywall.)

On 04 Jan 2023 the U.S. News and World Reports has this to say:

"ChargePoint is the largest EV charging network in the States by a notable margin. In fact, the company has over 27,000 stations with nearly 50,000 individual charging ports. Tesla, the next closest rival, has roughly 6,000 station locations and about 28,000 charging ports." (NOTE: This is an open source site, no paywall.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:23 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Currently, about 275 million ICE vehicles in the USA are served by about 145,000 fueling stations. If there are roughly 2 million USA EVs, 27,000 charging stations plus the additional 32,000 that will be added in the next few years, plus Tesla's charging network makes up a pretty favorable charging station to electric vehicle ratio. Of course, a big percentage of EV owners that also are home owners will add their own home charging stations, an option generally not available to ICE vehicles except on a rural property.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:44 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Currently, about 275 million ICE vehicles in the USA are served by about 145,000 fueling stations. If there are roughly 2 million USA EVs, 27,000 charging stations plus the additional 32,000 that will be added in the next few years, plus Tesla's charging network makes up a pretty favorable charging station to electric vehicle ratio. Of course, a big percentage of EV owners that also are home owners will add their own home charging stations, an option generally not available to ICE vehicles except on a rural property.
In ten years there will be charging stations all over the place. Not to mention that I expect millions of people to have chargers in their garage and also expect homebuilders will include them in new homes either standard or as an option. There's already a sizable market for the home chargers and Amazon sells many makes and models of these.

I understand some people don't like BEVs, that's okay, ICE cars will be around a long time.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:02 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In ten years there will be charging stations all over the place. Not to mention that I expect millions of people to have chargers in their garage and also expect homebuilders will include them in new homes either standard or as an option. There's already a sizable market for the home chargers and Amazon sells many makes and models of these.

I understand some people don't like BEVs, that's okay, ICE cars will be around a long time.
I just had a level 2 charger installed in my garage. You schedule it to charge at a certain time and to a certain amount. I set mine to charge at 3AM while I am asleep. So, it’s always charged to a specified amount each time I get in it to drive. Most EV drivers will install one if possible.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:45 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Since most electricity will continue to be generated by non-renewables how "green" is this really? Are we pretending to help the environment? Or will the end game be rationing of electricity.

The "Limits of Growth" report by the Club of Rome (link), written in the early 1970's advocates conservation as a conscious effort and ideology. The EV conversion movement may be the "Trojan Horse" of that movement, as well as the WEF.

You can have lots of charging stations but they only help if and when they're supplying juice. They only help the environment if the juice they supply is made by solar and wind.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:52 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
I think there's another aspect that's going to rise in importance as well for this equation. I think fewer Americans are going to own cars, even as maintenance costs on these cars will come down. We already have the beginnings moving forward. Uber shared rides. Not quite working self driving cars. Remote and Hybrid work schedules.

Kids are not as interested in getting their license than they were when I was a kid. I would not at all be surprised to see the family unit move back towards a single family car with ride sharing for overflow. For those with little to no intention to "hit the open road" we could well see a group of EVs that are for short commutes and grocery getting. If a longer ride is wanted, that could be a rental.

If you take all of the overcapacity that comes with the inefficiency of everyone owning their own car, and can readily develop cars on demand....we could really have plenty of materials to build to demand....as demand will be lower....irrespective of whether cars are ICE or EV.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:45 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think there's another aspect that's going to rise in importance as well for this equation. I think fewer Americans are going to own cars, even as maintenance costs on these cars will come down. We already have the beginnings moving forward. Uber shared rides. Not quite working self driving cars. Remote and Hybrid work schedules.

Kids are not as interested in getting their license than they were when I was a kid. I would not at all be surprised to see the family unit move back towards a single family car with ride sharing for overflow. For those with little to no intention to "hit the open road" we could well see a group of EVs that are for short commutes and grocery getting. If a longer ride is wanted, that could be a rental.

If you take all of the overcapacity that comes with the inefficiency of everyone owning their own car, and can readily develop cars on demand....we could really have plenty of materials to build to demand....as demand will be lower....irrespective of whether cars are ICE or EV.
Interesting but that only works if not forced on an unwilling population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, and frankly - there is no real need for 145K gas stations. Many are built in clusters competing for devoted customers that have strong brand preference. With electric stations supplying to all EV users this probably won't be a problem, unless power providers start to compete with each other. If that happens, we will see more charging stations as a result of price wars.
If we don't have price wars what will keep charging costs in check?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-21-2023 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-28-2023, 06:43 AM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Yes, and frankly - there is no real need for 145K gas stations. Many are built in clusters competing for devoted customers that have strong brand preference.
With electric stations supplying to all EV users this probably won't be a problem, unless power providers start to compete with each other. If that happens, we will see more charging stations as a result of price wars.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:42 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
LOL. It's a Corvette engine ;-), slightly detuned and tinkered with. 420hp. Big SUVs drive better than ever, are you nuts?? I don't want a race car for point a to point b driving. I don't like small cars. I respect the beasts but I don't care about Porsches. You can't objectively say big SUVs don't drive well, you just personally don't like them. There is nothing better for cross country comfort and space.

That's your opinion. Trucks are more bad ass than ever. You should see how this Denali drives and feels.
If you're just going straight down a Texas highway you can feel that way. As soon as you start doing corners, you'd realize why high, big, and fat isn't ideal, no matter how many polishes you put on the vehicle. It's just geometry and physics, that simple.

So this effort developing EVs as luxury sport utility vehicles is stupid for many reasons, environmentally as well as performance wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Since most electricity will continue to be generated by non-renewables how "green" is this really? Are we pretending to help the environment? Or will the end game be rationing of electricity.

The "Limits of Growth" report by the Club of Rome (link), written in the early 1970's advocates conservation as a conscious effort and ideology. The EV conversion movement may be the "Trojan Horse" of that movement, as well as the WEF.

You can have lots of charging stations but they only help if and when they're supplying juice. They only help the environment if the juice they supply is made by solar and wind.
Exactly. We're making marginal improvements (at most 50% less carbon intensive say), not magnitude level improvements with this shift - and if we don't address the issue of never ending horsepower and size and mileage increases we are literally treading water or going backwards, where increased use offsets any of the electrification gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

This is a big factor as well. If self driving ever was actually functional this trend would really take off and there would be huge efficiency gains from it, but that's decades out. Currently though the gains are in better urban design and lack of unnecessary commutes, those two things are helping reduce vehicle count needed now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.