Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2023, 05:07 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,156,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Last year I had to visit Tallahassee FL for a friend's daughter's graduation, and had a full day on my own to kill beforehand - so I just drove randomly to Alabama and Georgia, since I had never technically been to either. Ended up in a town called Cottonwood (AL), then hit up the closest GA towns on my way back. When someone asked what I saw out there, my response was "a lot of churches and Dollar Stores." lol

Literally, though. That's basically all you see! But I actually had a great time, especially walking around Cottonwood and seeing what life is like in a small southern town. Hardly a tourism hotspot, so it was a very unique experience. It's just all the stuff in between that became quite repetitive and "Generica" in nature. It was one of my more memorable trips, however, and I've been all over the world.

Here are some of my photos from Cottonwood (it was pouring rain!): https://imgur.com/a/cGP3oGZ
See!! You get it! It's not necessarily aesthetics, it's the ability to mind travel and picture yourself in an alternate reality. It's all the little moments you captured. That being said, I really wish this part of the country had more life and visitation, it's a bummer the Florida beach sucks it all up and these places aren't a little more energized.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:50 AM

25,609 posts, read 17,351,439 times
I've never been to New Zealand. Been to Grand Canyon. Victoria, BC up in Canada. Japan. Kwajalien Atoll. Greece. Argentina. Lots of places I guess.

Gizmo wrote about the pleasures of seeing life close up, especially a life that was not very familiar to him. Speaking as a kid who grew up in Loachapoka, AL, I can relate to that.

Many people do not consider they have traveled unless they used their passport. But I stood on the wall at Ft Gaines on Dauphin Island (Mobile Bay) and looked across the water at Ft Morgan. I tried to imagine the pure audacity of Adm David Farrugat (Damn the torpedoes!) as he shot through the gap and came away with new understanding of the word "balls".
That same week, on that same island I sat silently in a nature preserve and watched as a small alligator surfaced very slowly so he could get a better look at me. We watched each other a while and then, very slowly he submerged as was gone. He made me smile.

There is lots and lots to see, everywhere in the world. But I wouldn't trade my alligator encounter for a trip to New Zealand. Just because I don't like to travel much does not mean I am not watching. And learning.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:27 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Gizmo wrote about the pleasures of seeing life close up, especially a life that was not very familiar to him. Speaking as a kid who grew up in Loachapoka, AL, I can relate to that.
Not that it matters, but just fyi I'm a woman.

And yes, that's what was interesting about it! Even within our own country, it's amazing how different the cultures can be. I think I stood out, too, being that it was such a small town... must have Californian written all over me. When I walked into the general store/cafe, it was like one of those movie scenes where you hear the record scratch. Then a woman popped up from behind the counter all "Can ahhhh heeeeelp yoooooou?" lol

Old 09-03-2023, 09:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,686,668 times
I would have loved to travel the world at a time when global regions and their cultures were vastly different from each other. Today I have little interest in seeing the world of Coca Cola drinkers who are mostly watching TV in their spare time or on their phones. The homogenization of modern consumerism has truly taken the place of unique cultures, instead of celebrating their differences it seems most of the planet's inhabitants want to emulate the American/western culture. I'm thinking of a tale told by a man who went a long way up the Amazon river only to stumble on some native people sitting around a generator driven VHS player watching an old segment of Dallas. Can't say for sure if this westernization is a good or bad thing but it certainly does diminish my own need for travel lol.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Not a bad thought, that.
But here's an interesting slant to it: Why not work hard on diet, exercise and finances so that when you're 90 you can still go?! To me, there is something pitiful about an 80 year-old who has destroyed himself and can no longer enjoy his life. So I have worked to prevent it. I'm 78 and not much interested in travel. My sister, who is 81, feels differently about travel and will leave for Turkey in a few weeks.
Most people here who are ninety do not travel overseas partly because the cost of travel insurance is prohibitive. My friend is off next week to Europe and she is 92 but prepared to take the risk.

Sorry, but many people work hard on diet exercise and finance but the genetic lottery does not work out.
None of us live forever and there are many contributions to how long, a lot out of our control.
My beautiful, thin and previously healthy cousin died of early onset dementia at 67.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,845,590 times
Traveling abroad to unfamiliar destinations without exploring and knowing our own location/country is equal to traveling into the cosmos while knowing less about what's under our own oceans.

We must explore our surroundings then move outwardly. Our explorations do not have to be forensic, but when we go abroad, it's fun to share our world with people/those places we visit. We learn, we share and our worlds become closer. Geography shines the light of knowledge prior, while our travels make it come alive.

We are more alike then we are different.

PS... just got back from Alaska and Canada.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:49 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,686,668 times
Actually, in my younger years, I did quite a bit of travel both foreign and US. My posted thoughts are a reflection of the fact of a greatly changed world coupled with my own observations on what I see as a homogenization of cultures. The world and it"s varied cultures have changed, and the iconic destinations seem a bit touristy today when compared to an earlier time when we were mostly separated by the fact of limited travel opportunity.

We were asked to debate the notion that we've become "obsessed" with travel, so I'll admit that I wandered a bit with my own thoughts on travelling in general, but I will note that my grandchildren seem obsessed with the idea that they must travel in order to "keep up" with their peer group. I personally don't think travel in and of itself gives one a greater insight to life's usual quandaries.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-04-2023 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Removed quoted material that was deleted.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:37 AM

10,581 posts, read 7,800,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

There is this FOMO to travel while young, but why?..
More free time and physical abilities. Less obligations holding them back.

Obsessed is probably too strong of a term. Possibly "enamored"?

I know of only one person who would fall under the category of obsessed, but then travel is her profession.

Among her listed achievements at age 31 are: "Traveled to over 105 countries 330+ days traveling each year, Private pilot"

Old 09-05-2023, 09:58 AM

15,878 posts, read 6,580,182 times
Travel is a great way to broaden your understanding of the World, and to view it from other perspectives. It's watching travel through a TV program that channels your viewpoint. That being said, I stopped travelling because of the cramped, cattle car nature of modern air transport. It's become wholly unpleasant.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:51 AM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Travel is a great way to broaden your understanding of the World, and to view it from other perspectives. It's watching travel through a TV program that channels your viewpoint. That being said, I stopped travelling because of the cramped, cattle car nature of modern air transport. It's become wholly unpleasant.
You got that right!

I can't say I ever enjoyed travel, but after 22 trips to SE Asia in my earlier years, all but one in business class, the last one returning here simply turned me off to any air travel that was not a necessity. Rude personnel from start to finish. After that, any trips I have taken have been by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates