Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 01:48 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Put me in the group of seniors who has no real desire to take big trips anymore, just one big hassle and a source of stress. With that said I am extremely thankful that I traveled so much when I was young. I tell young people all the time, hoping they listen, that now is the time to make memories. When you get to be my age you will be so glad you did. So get out of the house and travel wherever you can afford to go is what I always say.
That's what I did when young. Instead of saving for retirement, lol. I remember having a clear, distinct thought when I was 38: I better do this adventure NOW while I still can. I figured my 40s would be my "last good years" physically. That turned out to be true.

So I'm glad I did all I could then. The memories are so precious, especially as we age and can't do as much.

We "did" Europe 3 times before/during Covid and I suspect we may not return there, just the way the world situation is now. So I'm glad we did it then. Now, we're packing for 2 months in SoCal and that's daunting enough. Dreading the whole airport experience that I used to look forward to. Being forced to sit apart unless you pay a fee, anticipating the luggage rip-offs, no screens on American....don't get me started!

Old 09-23-2023, 06:11 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,063,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
no screens on American....
Are you referring to the seat back screens? If so, that sounds like a plus to me. I just wanted to read a book on the last flight I took (United) and for the life of me I couldn't find a way to turn off my screen, which was just running an array of ads/promotions. I was able to angle the emergency instruction card to block most of it, but seeing the constant flickering of everyone else's screens beside me was pretty irritating.

It would be nice if there could be pull-down privacy shades between seats. Probably not allowed for safety reasons.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,561,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Sure - it started as a reflection on critiques that my generation gives to boomers, that they have too many possessions / too much crap. Reflecting on millenials / gen Z - where do they go overboard? Travel was my answer. The experiences vs possession was a good vein to go down - but my generation seemed to overly bucketize experiences as travel. What I'm saying is that too much travel actually limits your experiences, you spend too much time prepping and in a seat transiting locations while missing out on other events, relationships, and experiences you could have had instead of sitting at an airport.
It is a matter of perspective. To you too much travel limits experiences. A balanced life takes care of it. I spent 32 years in the Army and me and the family travelled a lot as much as possible in Europe and Asia. We still had a great relationships in life with friends and family when we were away. When we went back to the US we shared with them movies and photos of what we saw out there in other parts of the world. So, it depends on how someone handles his or her life regarding relationships.
Also, if someone loves to cook, do you think he or she cares how much time he or she spend getting ready to cook a meal? I do not think so. We spent time scheduling a trip and saving money for it. Example: When I was stationed in Germany, I told my wife I wanted to go to Italy before we had to go back to the States. We eventually booked a one-week trip. We went to Assisi, Sorrento, Venice, Island of Capri, Rome, and Pompeii. We were travelling a lot and stayed at different hotels. It was tiring but even our young daughter loved the trip despite the arduous schedule. We finally got back home in Heidelberg, I made a comment, "This the most enjoyable $6,000 trip I have ever made. The whole family agreed. So, again, it is a matter of perspective and attitude. If to you it is not worth it, your attitude and your perspective and I respect that.

Today, our three daughters are constantly travelling and seeing places like our middle one went with her family to Mount Rushmore. She called us and over the phone she gave us a live tour of the area to share with us. That moment was a great relationship and bonding time.
You have a great day,

elamigo

Old 09-26-2023, 12:32 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,412,414 times
I've been living in Germany for 2 1/2 out of the past 3 years. In all the time I've been here, I have only spent one night in a place other than my apartment in Chemnitz. It doesn't mean I don't travel anywhere, I just don't like going places where I need to stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants for an extended time. You would be stunned at the number of places I've visited that are within day trip range of Chemnitz by train. I was never bored with staying mostly within a 100 or so mile radius of here. Then I could return home and eat a home cooked meal and sleep in a quiet, comfortable apartment.

I am returning to the USA in a few days, so will end up staying in a hotel one night on the way back. My goal will be to find a new place to live as fast as possible. I have my new home base region narrowed down to southern Ohio or central Kentucky (Lexington region).

My style of travel is to go to a new place and set up a home base, for a month or maybe longer. Get to know the ins and outs of that local area really well as opposed to running all over a country to see all the famous sights.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:58 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Sure - it started as a reflection on critiques that my generation gives to boomers, that they have too many possessions / too much crap. Reflecting on millennials / gen Z - where do they go overboard? Travel was my answer.
I agree with this point. "Keeping up with the Joneses" used to mean things like driving a nicer car or wearing pricier clothes or getting a swimming pool in your backyard because your neighbors and friends did those things.

But now it also means traveling to a whole lot of places and posting your pictures on Facebook and Instagram.

As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:16 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,187,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Well, a person that insulated from the world cannot be a bit empathetic toward people not like themselves...and there's a whole world out there of people not like themsevles. You can't have an intelligent opinion about policies regarding race if you don't know any Black or Latino people because your view is based on false narratives. You can't have an intelligent approach about why California or Texas politics is good or bad if you haven't experienced anything personally about California or Texas. And the bigger problem is that people who are so sheltered in their lives often don't even know how 'dumb' they are about 'stuff'.

This X a million. I've lived in both states, and when I hear people who've never even been to either talk about them based on whatever slanted story they read/see, I just shake my head.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:52 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It is a matter of perspective. To you too much travel limits experiences. A balanced life takes care of it. I spent 32 years in the Army and me and the family travelled a lot as much as possible in Europe and Asia. We still had a great relationships in life with friends and family when we were away. When we went back to the US we shared with them movies and photos of what we saw out there in other parts of the world. So, it depends on how someone handles his or her life regarding relationships.
Also, if someone loves to cook, do you think he or she cares how much time he or she spend getting ready to cook a meal? I do not think so. We spent time scheduling a trip and saving money for it. Example: When I was stationed in Germany, I told my wife I wanted to go to Italy before we had to go back to the States. We eventually booked a one-week trip. We went to Assisi, Sorrento, Venice, Island of Capri, Rome, and Pompeii. We were travelling a lot and stayed at different hotels. It was tiring but even our young daughter loved the trip despite the arduous schedule. We finally got back home in Heidelberg, I made a comment, "This the most enjoyable $6,000 trip I have ever made. The whole family agreed. So, again, it is a matter of perspective and attitude. If to you it is not worth it, your attitude and your perspective and I respect that.

Today, our three daughters are constantly travelling and seeing places like our middle one went with her family to Mount Rushmore. She called us and over the phone she gave us a live tour of the area to share with us. That moment was a great relationship and bonding time.
You have a great day,

elamigo

Travelling around Europe is mainly short-haul type air travel or via train or ferry, rather than long haul flights and in this respect it's more akin to travelling within the US.

I think there should be a distinction between different types and duration of travel in this respect.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
This X a million. I've lived in both states, and when I hear people who've never even been to either talk about them based on whatever slanted story they read/see, I just shake my head.
I shake my head when people who live in cities and urban locations believe they understand the environment when the most mud they ever had on them was in in the beauty parlor getting spa treatment.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:21 AM

25,930 posts, read 12,951,218 times
61% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, so how much are they traveling?

Yes, too many of the other 39% are overdoing travel imho, & I am amongst them.

I'm a climate traveler who leaves Florida's summer heat a few weeks/yr to enjoy the great outoors in cooler climates.

My wife is a sightseeing traveler who travels abroad.

We don't travel together often. We have disposable income, so $'s not an issue.

We are the prime age for travel 50-70 so want to travel while we are still in good enough shape to keep up.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,561,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've been living in Germany for 2 1/2 out of the past 3 years. In all the time I've been here, I have only spent one night in a place other than my apartment in Chemnitz. It doesn't mean I don't travel anywhere, I just don't like going places where I need to stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants for an extended time. You would be stunned at the number of places I've visited that are within day trip range of Chemnitz by train. I was never bored with staying mostly within a 100 or so mile radius of here. Then I could return home and eat a home cooked meal and sleep in a quiet, comfortable apartment.

I am returning to the USA in a few days, so will end up staying in a hotel one night on the way back. My goal will be to find a new place to live as fast as possible. I have my new home base region narrowed down to southern Ohio or central Kentucky (Lexington region).

My style of travel is to go to a new place and set up a home base, for a month or maybe longer. Get to know the ins and outs of that local area really well as opposed to running all over a country to see all the famous sights.
You reminded me of one strategy we used when we were in Germany. My wife bought a book entitled "One day trips in Germany." We used it quite often to visit nearby areas and still be back at home the same day. That approach led to a lot of fun visiting places.
You have a great day,
elamigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates