Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 08:53 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was thinking of this thread...to each his own. If someone loves to travel...great...they have a window on the world that the stay-at-homers don't have. If someone loves to stay home...that's their choice, too. As I said, to each his own.
Well, that's one of the things that is great about America. The ability to make these kinds of choices is extraordinary. It goes beyond just deciding to travel or not travel though. Let me explain:

Ron is a lawyer that is a colleague of mine and a friend. His law practice has been a stunning success. He confided to me that he routinely brings home an income of as much as 300K per year. He is in his early seventies and shows no sign of slowing down.

While Ron has lots of money what he has is very little time. He is booked out for months at work with client appointments and legal proceedings. His vacations reflect the fact he has little time. When he takes a vacation though it is really an event. He does things I would never consider. He flies first class. He stays in the most expensive hotels in a city. He pays top dollar for seats at professional football and basketball games. He hires a limousine to transport he and his wife around.

I would never consider vacationing the way Ron does. My wife and I like to a lot of traveling, so we have to keep costs down. We do the exact opposite. We always fly economy. We are always looking for deals on hotels. My favorite trip--even overseas--usually involves driving a rental car from destination to destination. I would never pay huge prices to see a professional sports event that I could see on television.

Ron's choices make sense for him because of circumstances. My choices make sense for me because my circumstances are different and I prefer to travel more than he does.

Our system is great and good because it accommodates people who want to make all sorts of choices.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:11 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Well, that's one of the things that is great about America. The ability to make these kinds of choices is extraordinary. It goes beyond just deciding to travel or not travel though. Let me explain:

Ron is a lawyer that is a colleague of mine and a friend. His law practice has been a stunning success. He confided to me that he routinely brings home an income of as much as 300K per year. He is in his early seventies and shows no sign of slowing down.

While Ron has lots of money what he has is very little time. He is booked out for months at work with client appointments and legal proceedings. His vacations reflect the fact he has little time. When he takes a vacation though it is really an event. He does things I would never consider. He flies first class. He stays in the most expensive hotels in a city. He pays top dollar for seats at professional football and basketball games. He hires a limousine to transport he and his wife around.

I would never consider vacationing the way Ron does. My wife and I like to a lot of traveling, so we have to keep costs down. We do the exact opposite. We always fly economy. We are always looking for deals on hotels. My favorite trip--even overseas--usually involves driving a rental car from destination to destination. I would never pay huge prices to see a professional sports event that I could see on television.

Ron's choices make sense for him because of circumstances. My choices make sense for me because my circumstances are different and I prefer to travel more than he does.

Our system is great and good because it accommodates people who want to make all sorts of choices.
While I agree with everything you've said about choice etc., your post seems to imply that such choices are unique to America, which they are not. The same could be said about Australia, the UK, New Zealand and many countries in Europe and - most likely - in other parts of the developed world.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:48 AM

5,354 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:

That's what happens as a place matures in the tourism industry, instead of a few offerings or you go to Colombia for X type of vacation - you're able to to do a lot of different trip types to a lot of different lesser known destinations or premium offerings.

The US is so easy cause it's a huge land area you can travel and book throughout with little hassle or concerns. As time goes on, there will be less hassle and concerns with other parts of the globe as well.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:30 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I thought this was hysterical.
You say you like to travel. Really? Well, here's a road map connecting every town named "Springfield" in the US.
Road Trip!
I find road trips tedious. What I really like are ocean cruises. The sea days are better than port days. On any given cruise, you have passengers from different parts of the world. Certainly much easier to socialize on cruise with people from different countries than when staying in a hotel or AirBnB.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:51 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
The trick is to figure out how to vacation like your friend Ron does without having to work the mind-numbingly crazy hours he does.

It is definitely nice to fly first class and stay in 5-star hotels with your family if you can afford to do so.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:15 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
In my case, I'm pretty happy staying where I am from May to October, but I find it appealing to go somewhere warm between November and March because those months have a lot of overcast 35F days with no snow which gets kind of depressing, and it's easier to travel than to move (especially since in my case, I would have to move to a different country to get away from cold/gloomy winters).

If I do travel, I prefer sightseeing historic towns and going into nature than to sit on a beach all day, although I will still enjoy a little beach time and swimming.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:33 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:

My husband and I are the same way. We traveled throughout Europe for three months back in the summer.. We always flew economy and sometimes took a Flixbus to save money. We stayed in nice hotels, but they weren't 5-star.. we actually stayed in apartments a lot of the time. I guess I don't really understand people that spend thousands and thousands of dollars just to go to Las Vegas or Disney World.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:55 PM

5,354 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
In my case, I'm pretty happy staying where I am from May to October, but I find it appealing to go somewhere warm between November and March because those months have a lot of overcast 35F days with no snow which gets kind of depressing, and it's easier to travel than to move (especially since in my case, I would have to move to a different country to get away from cold/gloomy winters).

If I do travel, I prefer sightseeing historic towns and going into nature than to sit on a beach all day, although I will still enjoy a little beach time and swimming.
I wonder if we'll see more reverse snowbird type of situations of southerners travelling north in July and August to escape and soak in the great summers as the centers of population shift southward?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
My husband and I are the same way. We traveled throughout Europe for three months back in the summer.. We always flew economy and sometimes took a Flixbus to save money. We stayed in nice hotels, but they weren't 5-star.. we actually stayed in apartments a lot of the time. I guess I don't really understand people that spend thousands and thousands of dollars just to go to Las Vegas or Disney World.
Given how hard it is to make money, Ron's way of vacationing is, to put it bluntly, dumb. You spend more time making that money toiling away than you do enjoying it. There's a lot more people who think they are 1%ers like Ron than are. These people also have a tendency to buy big trucks, same disorder.

In the Rockies we always make fun of Texans who come up and blow thousands (usually skiing over Christmas when the snow is still crap), and then have to go home and live in Texas. If you have to drive 12 hours to escape your state and do something fun... well . Most Texans actually do it smart though and take like a whole month off in the fall and really spend enough time to make the trip worth while.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:17 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I guess I don't really understand people that spend thousands and thousands of dollars just to go to Las Vegas or Disney World.
People go to Disney World so their kids enjoy it while they're still young and don't have any regrets later on.

I doubt many adults actually like going to Disney World.

As for going to Las Vegas, people think they're going to win a fortune and don't believe that the house will take all of their money.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I don't get paying thousands for trips when you have credit card debt and your retirement savings aren't on schedule.

Traveling is great though...exploring new cities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.