Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 12:41 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times

Advertisements

People who manage their lives correctly don't need to travel. I am surrounded by the people/things that are important to me. I don't need to be crammed into a steel tube for hours on end to look at a bunch of stuff I can see on the internet.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
People who manage their lives correctly don't need to travel. I am surrounded by the people/things that are important to me. I don't need to be crammed into a steel tube for hours on end to look at a bunch of stuff I can see on the internet.
I don't NEED to travel, but overall I enjoy it, so I do it. I don't much care for the air travel part of it, but overall it's worth it to me.

But you do you, of course. Just don't judge others who don't have the same interests as you. Please!

Old 01-12-2024, 01:46 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
But for people who love to travel, as I do, it is NOT being surrounded by people and things that are normally important that is the attraction. To learn about and enjoy new places, interact with new people and to take part in experiences in a way that is not the least comparable to looking at them on the internet.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Quote:
The experience is totally different to actually be standing in a century’s old church or palace versus viewing it on the internet. Every one of my trips was worth the money.

Mighty queen, while I wouldn’t want to go to Disney yearly I really enjoyed my trips to the one in California and Florida in my 40’s. My husband was laughing at me because I was turning everything on that I could in Minnie’s house. It was great fun.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:59 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
You don't need to travel. Please don't speak for me or the rest of us.

Here's the deal for us. Our kids are grown up. They are busy pursuing their own lives and don't have much need in their twenties and early thirties from their parents. My wife was the youngest child in her family. I was the youngest child in my family. Our parents have died. All my aunts and uncles are gone too. I have one sister that I have a fairly close relationship with. My wife has three brothers that she barely has any relationship with at all.

We enjoy traveling. We get a lot out of it. Its perfect for us because we don't have "heavy-duty family connections " that many people have. There are no family parties or reunions for us to attend. In short, there is little reason why we cannot just get up and go when we want. In addition to that, we like walking and our trips to Europe are perfect for that.

Anyway, appreciate your input, but not everyone has the same life experiences.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:26 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
And for us, we do have family commitments which we work around when planning our travels. My adult kids and their families are off to ski in Canada and Japan this week; there is absolutely no way skiing can be experienced on the internet as it is for real.
We are entitled to still spend time on ourselves as well as helping with grandkids.
Nothing other than being there would compare what we enjoyed in Malta last year; strolling through Valletta at night, seeing the beautiful town built hundreds of years ago, joining the people eating at outside restaurants which slope down the narrow streets. Magic!

Old 01-13-2024, 07:00 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Being in the steel tube miles above the planet is part of the experience. Don't really like"crammed", though. Flew business class last time, and it was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Truth!!! One of my favorites and so happy I was able to back in 2018 as It's not happening again in my lifetime was to actually stand in St Petersburg, view the Winter Palace, visit the cathedral where the Romanovs are entombed, it made all the Russian literature I've read come to life.

While in Nice discovering the little village of Eze that dates back to the Middle Ages! Those examples are the tip of the iceberg and if I'm obsessed with travel , so be it!
Wow, now that sounds fascinating. I have only been to Europe once, and the history was the most exciting part for me.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-13-2024 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 01-13-2024, 07:34 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Most people are not that extreme. I would definitely regret never seeing cities like London, Paris or Rome. They were on the top of my bucket list. But I’ve been to those places enough times that I got my fix.

On the other hand, there are many places I don’t care to see or I went there just to say I’ve been there. Lol. You have to be selective about where you are traveling to. Go where your interest and passion takes you.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The experience is totally different to actually be standing in a century’s old church or palace versus viewing it on the internet. Every one of my trips was worth the money.

Mighty queen, while I wouldn’t want to go to Disney yearly I really enjoyed my trips to the one in California and Florida in my 40’s. My husband was laughing at me because I was turning everything on that I could in Minnie’s house. It was great fun.
Truth!!! One of my favorites and so happy I was able to back in 2018 as It's not happening again in my lifetime was to actually stand in St Petersburg, view the Winter Palace, visit the cathedral where the Romanovs are entombed, it made all the Russian literature I've read come to life.

While in Nice discovering the little village of Eze that dates back to the Middle Ages! Those examples are the tip of the iceberg and if I'm obsessed with travel , so be it!

Old 01-13-2024, 08:56 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Quote:

I remember when I was a teen I had to go to the library and look up places in the encyclopedia. That was the only way to see images of places. Or count on what cable TV gave you.

Now on youtube in 4k images I can see pretty much all the world in seconds if I wanted to. The mystery of places are a bit gone now. Thats not a bad thing but I do recall travel as a much more mysterious journey back than. You had to use your imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.