Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,357,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It might be disturbing, but it is not surprising. An awful lot of people don't really have any mechanical sense, and don't understand very well what kinds of things happen with the physical laws of the universe are set into play. Most of these people are women, which is why they are so often baffled by the concept of checking the air in their tires.

It never surprises me when a person is unable to predict a mechanical event. This woman does not need parenting classes, she needs high school physics.
I never took high school physics and I understand the concept.

And this situation does surprise me.

However, it's not only education.

While visiting friends once, we went on a day trip somewhere, and the wife took the baby out of the car seat to nurse the baby while her husband was driving.

These are not people who did not take high school physics, as the husband is an EMERGENCY ROOM MD.
And obviously neither one of them had a problem with the baby not being restrained for the time she was nursing her.

Me, I was worried that going 80 mph on the highway wasn't safe for me and my kids that were properly buckled into their car seats....Their baby being out of it's car seat was just adding to my already high stress level.

You jsut have to wonder what the hell people are thinking!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
So, if this woman, while facing stiff fines and jail time, is actually considering doing this again, I don't think that a warning would suffice.

OK, give her a ticket if she reoffends, but not if she doesn't. Deterrent without rancor. But wouldn't you slow down right after getting a warning ticket?

I agree that putting the woman in jail or such a fine if it would put a major hardship on the family's budget wouldn't be the best punishment in this case.

Generating haters--well we can't ignore situations so we won't generate another "hater".
Nobody said ignore it. I said don't use police tactic that are certain to generate antagonism, when a more cooperative response has a good chance of working.

Seriously, I don't know anyone who would argue that they should be allowed to breastfeed and drive at the same time.
Neither do I.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM

742 posts, read 1,231,378 times
sure after a ticket people slow down, then they do it again and again. speeders are usually repeat offenders, how many times does her kid almost die for it to be arrestable?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
sure after a ticket people slow down, then they do it again and again. speeders are usually repeat offenders, how many times does her kid almost die for it to be arrestable?
So far, her kid hasn't "almost died" even once yet. Unless big brave cop pulled his gun on him and yelled "Freeze, M-f!" But maybe you have a really weird idea of what it is to "almost die", like the thousands of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck when I was a kid.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM

i wouldn't compare riding in the back of a pickup to being a baby in the front seat of a car with a distracted mother.

and yes we got it you hate the police, can you put that aside for one minute and see how stupidly this women acted?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i wouldn't compare riding in the back of a pickup to being a baby in the front seat of a car with a distracted mother.

and yes we got it you hate the police, can you put that aside for one minute and see how stupidly this women acted?
And yes, we got it, you love the brutality of out of conrol cops on power trips, can you put that aside for one minute and see that she takes care of her child 24/7 and no harm has come to it yet.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,357,870 times
Quote:
So far, her kid hasn't "almost died" even once yet. Unless big brave cop pulled his gun on him and yelled "Freeze, M-f!" But maybe you have a really weird idea of what it is to "almost die", like the thousands of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck when I was a kid.
So what if the kid actually does die the next time she's breastfeeding it while driving, talking on the phone and eating a Big Mac (hey, Mom's got to eat in order to feed the baby)?

I know saying the kid "almost died" is dramatic, but in reality, we have no idea how close that kid has ever been to dying. I'd assume there was no near miss as of yet or the mother wouldn't be saying she'll do it again.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, we are all REALLY, REALLY safe in a vehicle here in the USA. This conclusion I've come to after a visit to Egypt. But still, there are laws to obey.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
And yes, we got it, you love the brutality of out of conrol cops on power trips, can you put that aside for one minute and see that she takes care of her child 24/7 and no harm has come to it yet.
key word- "yet"

Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

I know saying the kid "almost died" is dramatic, but in reality, we have no idea how close that kid has ever been to dying. I'd assume there was no near miss as of yet or the mother wouldn't be saying she'll do it again.
We don't have a lot to go on, but she strikes me as quite a nice and personable and tolerably well-spoken lady with a healthy love of life. She said nothing offensive or unpleasant, she has raised three other kids protectively without any traumatic catastrophes that we know about. She cares about getting her kids to school on time, she cares about getting her child fed, she cares about the general benefits of breast feeding and loves being a mother. She likes to tink for herself, instead of just baaaing along with the sheep, even though she's not always right. And I bet she can't just sit down and write a check for a $1,950 fine without creating a significant hardship on her family, who probably endure enough hardships as it is.

Top hell with you all. From what I can see, I'm on her side.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-11-2009 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
We don't have a lot to go on, but she strikes me as quite a nice and personable and tolerably well-spoken lady with a healthy love of life.
doesn't mean she isn't an idiot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates