Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM

38 posts, read 57,590 times

Advertisements

I do not trust the law. They are suppose to protect us, but I was told if some one wants to hurt you bad enough they will and can and their is nothing the police can do about it. I have an ex so I am always aware of my surroundings and how I can protect myself at all times.

Do I trust the police absolutely not!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:57 PM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan Shadow View Post
I do not trust the law. They are suppose to protect us, but I was told if some one wants to hurt you bad enough they will and can and their is nothing the police can do about it. I have an ex so I am always aware of my surroundings and how I can protect myself at all times.

Yeah. You need police protection 24/7 or just one or two cops on call that can read your ex's mind and act before he/she does should he/she decide to do "whatever" you think he/she may do. This argument has gotten so much more clear to me. I wouldn't trust the police either based on their inability to provide 24/7 protection or read peoples minds. I have officially changed my view because of this highly thought out argument.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Just like anywhere, there are some you can trust, some you can't. Personally, I've never had reason not to.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Yeah. You need police protection 24/7 or just one or two cops on call that can read your ex's mind and act before he/she does should he/she decide to do "whatever" you think he/she may do. This argument has gotten so much more clear to me. I wouldn't trust the police either based on their inability to provide 24/7 protection or read peoples minds. I have officially changed my view because of this highly thought out argument.
She is from Canada, where she cannot depend on the police to arbitrarily kill people pre-emptivey.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
She is from Canada, where she cannot depend on the police to arbitrarily kill people pre-emptivey.
And I thought the initial comment was stupid.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan Shadow View Post
I do not trust the law. They are suppose to protect us

There is absolutely NO WAY the Police can protect you 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week. They would have to have an officer at your front door, and at your back door. And an officer inside of your home. Is this what you expect from the Police.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
Yes I do trust them...I think they have one of the hardest jobs in the world. I could not do some of the things these officers must face day in and day out...My uncle is a Police chaplan, my aunt works for child services, and my cousin is a parole officer...they each carry pink had cuffs and threaten uncoopetative men that if they dont stop fussing they will bring them into the cell with pink hand cuffs.

I do not think all police officers are honest but I also do not think all people are honest...but most are in both categories..

Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Do I "trust the police"? That's a pretty broad subject. WHICH police? Trust them to do WHAT? It's like saying "do you trust Jewish people"? or "what's your opinion of Southern whites"?. Not a question that can be answered in one simple sentence.

Do I think the police are always "nice, polite, and professional" on the job? Certainly not...in my very LIMITED contact with them, I've seen some real 'fine gentlemen with a tough job', and I've seen several people who are OBVIOUSLY little more than "bullies with a badge".

Should this surprise us? I don't see why. We pick these people, (largely from working-class backgrounds), send them out into society to confront, on an hourly basis, the very worst that society offers..the drunkest, the most abusive, the 'craziest', the filthiest, and the very 'dregs' of society.....and we expect these 'cops' to handle their job with cool professional detachment, with NO regard for their own personal feelings, and we demand they be courteous and respectful to everyone they encounter. It's not going to happen, and I think we'd be foolish to expect it. The police are society's "guard dogs", not its 'pets'.....and if you want your guard dog to do his job, you stay OUT of his way and let him work....or risk getting 'bitten' yourself. It's an ugly world out there, and some of those on OUR side can get pretty 'ugly' too....hopefully it's a temporary condition.

Do I "trust the police"? No, not completely...but I trust them a little more than I trust the 'crooks'...the rapists, gang-bangers, child abusers, and violent drunks. And when these groups "clash head on", I NORMALLY side with the cops, unless there's evidence to prove they were out of line. When they DO get out of line, I would hope they get disciplined. This may not ALWAYS happen, but I think the police department 'disciplines' violent cops at least a LITTLE better than the gangs discipline THEIR out-of-control members.

Would I want to BE a policeman? Not for any amount of money. Since this is so, and since I ask THEM to do a job I MYSELF wouldn't do, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, when that is possible.
Wow- I couldn't of said it better.

Being a midnight desk clerk at a hotel (one with no security guards-I'ma female and I'm completely alone), I've had to call the area's local police more than once to assist me-from drunken parties to people fighting and brandishing weapons to a large group of guys threatening to do very very bad things to me-and there was one occassion the officer was unhelpful and rude to me. All of the other times the officers were polite, courteous, and quickly and effectively diffussed the situation for me. No way would I want that job.

All said, I'll admit that as a whole I don't trust the police-but I don't distrust them anymore than I distrust any other stranger in the general public.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is absolutely NO WAY the Police can protect you 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week. They would have to have an officer at your front door, and at your back door. And an officer inside of your home. Is this what you expect from the Police.
Absolutely right! Seriously, is this what you all expect? The role of the police is to "Serve and protect", but only when there is obvious danger. In other words, do you think a cop will stand outside of your house 24/7 and protect you from nothing while there is murders, robberies, drug deals right down the street? You all can't be serious. -mmccul

Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
For the most part, yep, I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates