Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

on winning.
you can never change anyones mind, its comes from within them.
. you will not always win, 2 go in 1 comes out.
next time it wlll be you that gets the black cloud
eat slow and enjoy the meal

Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Calling your opponent a 'moron' doesn't qualify for a 'legitimate rebuttal', it only shows your own weakness. Calling your opponent names in frustration is usually the last resort. So, in my books, you lost, buddy.

By bullying people with your statements you are not buying yourself any respect as a debater, unless you are enjoying the 'ride' as a troll would do.

If you are not 'trolling', then you are simply delusional. And rude.
exactly, perhaps if Eeeee can admit to either being a troll, delusional or rude I would change my views now that is "profound"

Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM

90 posts, read 286,020 times
This thread is interesting, it keeps popping up, so, I was tempted to read it. I guess Eeeee is a celebrity of sorts. I am new to Great Debates and I am mostly a reader and not a poster. Eeeee, you definitely stand out in the last two threads I've posted on, unfortunately not in a good way. Your self-aggrandizing manner of argument actually alienates even people who happen to share your opinion. Whereas I absolutely agree with you that an embryo is a human being in its earliest stage of development, I couldn't help being annoyed with the way you state your opinion. You don't simply try to put yourself above all your opponents you also put yourself superior to those who have the same opinion. You just seem to be someone who has giant superinflated ego problems, unless you are a joker of sorts.

Did you mean to use this thread to attract more attention to yourself? I don't know if the intention was to discuss the topic since everyone seems to comment on their opinions about your debate skills.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Recently, I have launched two threads. I stated an irrefutable position, ended up winning both debates, but may have failed to change minds because of the irresistable urge to gloat a bit.

Did I miss an opportunity to change opinion by falling to this temptation? Or will most people see beyond defeat and recognize the truth?

It has been said Larry Summers and John Roberts have both suffered from "the smartest person in the room syndrome" where they tend to beat people over the head with their intellect. Roberts has done a good job pulling back on that. As a result, he has been able to persuade people, he says, over to his side where he once might have alienated them.

I dunno. Maybe I should hold back, too. Thoughts on that topic?
I like to exchange view and opinions with anybody. Why? To learn from others. I love to see different approaches to ideas.

I also like to exchange views with people that clearly have an opposing view. Not so much to prove anybody wrong but to put my own views to the test. It is more appealing to me to exchange views than a boring thread where everybody agrees on a topic. It is more like bashing the opposing side.

If I see a thread that most of the majority are just agreeing I may try to play lawyer (devil's advocate) against my own views if necessary to challenge my own views and to see how people explain their views.

I have in my office a saying by a Buddhist master, Seng Ts'an.

He wrote:
The true path is only difficult for those who make distinctions.
Do not like, do not dislike.
Then everything will become clear.

I follow that advice in life when exchanging views with anybody. It makes a lot of sense to me and has helped me learn a lot more from others and has helped me keep an open mind on others views.

In my own words if I keep emotions out of the subject, I become more objective by not making distinctions. That makes me not like or dislike what others have to say. To me what it means everything becomes clear does not mean I will agree. I will understand that individual much better by seeing where he is coming from even though I may not agree with his point. It is more clear to me why he believes that way.
I am convinced I have learned a lot more following that advice.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
This thread is interesting, it keeps popping up, so, I was tempted to read it. I guess Eeeee is a celebrity of sorts. I am new to Great Debates and I am mostly a reader and not a poster. Eeeee, you definitely stand out in the last two threads I've posted on, unfortunately not in a good way. Your self-aggrandizing manner of argument actually alienates even people who happen to share your opinion. Whereas I absolutely agree with you that an embryo is a human being in its earliest stage of development, I couldn't help being annoyed with the way you state your opinion. You don't simply try to put yourself above all your opponents you also put yourself superior to those who have the same opinion. You just seem to be someone who has giant superinflated ego problems, unless you are a joker of sorts.

Did you mean to use this thread to attract more attention to yourself? I don't know if the intention was to discuss the topic since everyone seems to comment on their opinions about your debate skills.
I guess I didn't count on all the pro-abortioners I pummeled in the two other threads (comprising 500 posts between them) to flood the room with trolling comments. I, like you, prefer to remain dispassionate in debate. All I asked for is someone to disprove my ironclad definition of human life. None of them could do it. I have no idea what my demeanor or anything else has to do with the facts of my position. I don't care what people think of me. I am a presenter of ideas and logic. All the other folks are the ones getting personal. They do that because they have no rebuttal to my argument, yet they are so invested in their pro-abortion agenda, all they can do is what all liberals do when their ideas are challenged; they lash out at the person, and try to discredit him. (Thus the troll bit).

All I'm asking is for somebody to discredit my definition. If you can do it, do it. If not, just admit it and move on.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Eeeeee, I agree 1,000% that an embryo is a person and that abortion should not be permitted. But, if anything, your posts make me want to switch from pro-life to pro-choice just so I cannot be lumped in with you on this forum.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Eeeeee, I agree 1,000% that an embryo is a person and that abortion should not be permitted. But, if anything, your posts make me want to switch from pro-life to pro-choice just so I cannot be lumped in with you on this forum.
Afoig, I'm sorry. I thought you said you were moderate on this issue, where you thought abortion was fine for other people. But if that's not the case, why should someone else's personality have any influence whatsoever on your core beliefs? That makes no sense.

"I don't like his personality, so I hereby change one of my most foundational beliefs".

Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Afoig, I'm sorry. I thought you said you were moderate on this issue, where you thought abortion was fine for other people. But if that's not the case, why should someone else's personality have any influence whatsoever on your core beliefs? That makes no sense.

"I don't like his personality, so I hereby change one of my most foundational beliefs".
No. I was literally trying to hold in some of the curse words in my comments against the women who were calling me "anti-choice" (refusing to use the term "pro-life") and who were saying "if you don't like abortions, don't have one." I just loved (sarcasm) the comments like "you have a penis, so you are not allowed an opinion." Yeah...well I have an opinion and I have a right to one even if I am a man.

I did not allow your personality to have any influence over my core beliefs. I was simply suggesting that I didn't want any other posters to associate us merely because our beliefs on the issue are the same.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:

Well, people will see who they are associated with in their views and it may scare them into switching sides.

Like if you were against interracial marriages and then realized that the KKK was also against them and you didn't want to associate yourself with such a horrible organzation.

Well, with you, you make him not want to associate with you because you make anyone who shares your view sound arrogant, rude and not all that bright. That's not the case, as there are some legitimate reasons to be against abortion, but since you never "debate" you just repeat the same comment over and over again and you don't use anything other than your warped opinions to argue your points, you force people to reconsider their position for fear of being lumped with you.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
I guess I didn't count on all the pro-abortioners I pummeled in the two other threads (comprising 500 posts between them) to flood the room with trolling comments. I, like you, prefer to remain dispassionate in debate. All I asked for is someone to disprove my ironclad definition of human life. None of them could do it. I have no idea what my demeanor or anything else has to do with the facts of my position. I don't care what people think of me. I am a presenter of ideas and logic. All the other folks are the ones getting personal. They do that because they have no rebuttal to my argument, yet they are so invested in their pro-abortion agenda, all they can do is what all liberals do when their ideas are challenged; they lash out at the person, and try to discredit him. (Thus the troll bit).

All I'm asking is for somebody to discredit my definition. If you can do it, do it. If not, just admit it and move on.

...but you're doing the exact same thing to 'lefty pro abortion zealots'. You're resorting to name calling while lambasting the opposite spectrum with... you guessed it.. NAME CALLING.

And no, your definitely is not iron clad and was disproven numerous times, all of which you either ignored or simply gloated about how you were 'right'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates