Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,523,771 times

Advertisements

My bullied son's last day on Earth - CNN.com

sad story the parents complained 7-8 times.

The kids responsible should be lined up and beaten to a pulp in front of their parents.

The administrators if guilty should be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
My opinion has two sides to it.

First of all, there is no excuse for bullying. Period.

That said, the unfortunate reality is that bullying has been around for as long as there have been people. The majority of us got bullied at some point when we were growing up - though obviously not to the point this boy was.

But I'm pretty sure there's more to this story than is initially being reported. There's more to this boy's home life than we're seeing.

Also, when I was that boy's age (obviously, MANY years ago), I don't think I had even heard of suicide. So that part is just odd to me as well.

But mostly, I'll repeat that there's no excuse for bullying.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
The article cites the school's 'exemplary' anti-bullying program. I wonder about the program - did the district simply buy an anti-bullying curriculum, do a couple of activities from it and call it a day? For such a program to work, the school has to take it seriously, really understand it, and respond when needed. If it is true that there were multiple complaints filed on behalf of this little boy, then it speaks very poorly of the district's implementation of their policy, and makes you wonder if they only bought the curriculum as a CYA maneuver.

I'll agree that there may be more to the story than we are hearing here, but there are so few taboos in our world that it is not all surprising for an 11 year old to know about suicide.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'll agree that there may be more to the story than we are hearing here, but there are so few taboos in our world that it is not all surprising for an 11 year old to know about suicide.
Yeah, that's true. I guess I didn't spend much time sitting in front of the TV, and when I did it wasn't very satisfying anyway - stupid black & white TV with horizontal lines jiggling through it.

By the way, the title of this thread is slightly incorrect. It's DeKalb County Georgia, not Illinois.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
My bullied son's last day on Earth - CNN.com

sad story the parents complained 7-8 times.

The kids responsible should be lined up and beaten to a pulp in front of their parents.

The administrators if guilty should be fired.
It's sad some kid thought he had to kill himself over this. It's sad his mother didn't do something to help him. Complaining a few times isn't enough if you know your kid is being bullied. You have to go in and make a huge nuisance of yourself and if that doesn't do anything, then you put your kid in another school.

As far as the administrators being fired, do you expect schools to put an adult on each child and listen to every word they say every day? It's impossible. It's a fact of life that kids are mean to each other, and harrass and bully each other. It's an unhappy part of growing up and learning how to cope with adversity, and learning where your place is in the social order. Most kids figure out how to deal with it without killing themselves.

This is a sad time for his family, but there's culpability on all sides.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
What am I to draw from this? That bullying is OK until somebody gets killed, but that's going too far?

If deaths from bullying are so rare, that they are covered by CNN, Im led to believe that the risk of death is not a factor in the public attitude toward bullying. So throw that out immediately. The child was much much more likely to have been struck by lightning or falling aircraft parts, and if bullying had been abolished as vigororously and absolutely as cannibalism, it would have saved one life.

Why, oh why, are social aberrations allowed to continue for centuries, only to be addressed when there is a singular tragedy that can be associated with the practice?

Yes, ocean, I agree with you. Beating a child to a pulp would be a lot of fun. But I doubt if they will let you do it, even if it hurt you more than it hurt the child. Somebody might get the wrong idea and think you are a bully, just on the flimsy premise that you think children ought to be beaten to a pulp.

And every administrator of every school ought to be fired the minute there is suicide among their pupils. That would be about 3,000 school administators per year being summarily fired.

Here's an idea that will put a stop to this behavior forever, guaranteed. Chance the name of the Virgin Islands to the Dude Islands. Leaving the name as it is is an open invitation to bullies to force children to hang themselves.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among children 5-14. They were all called names, at least, and probably even taunted. Some might have even had fingers pointed at them. I will not rest until every single child who has ever taunted a kid is beaten to a pulp. Pre-emptive action. Don 't wait for the victim to hang himself.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-24-2009 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,307 times
The Death of One is a Tragedy....

According To UNICEF:
Over 25,000 children die every day around the world.
That is equivalent to:
  • 1 child dying every 3.5 seconds
  • 17-18 children dying every minute
  • A 2004 Asian Tsunami occurring almost every 1.5 weeks
  • An Iraq-scale death toll every 16–38 days
  • Over 9 million children dying every year
  • Some 70 million children dying between 2000 and 2007
The silent killers are poverty, hunger, easily preventable diseases and illnesses, and other related causes. In spite of the scale of this daily/ongoing catastrophe, it rarely manages to achieve, much less sustain, prime-time, headline coverage.

The Death of 25,000 is just a statistic...

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
The Death of One is a Tragedy....

According To UNICEF:
Over 25,000 children die every day around the world.
That is equivalent to:
  • 1 child dying every 3.5 seconds
  • 17-18 children dying every minute
  • A 2004 Asian Tsunami occurring almost every 1.5 weeks
  • An Iraq-scale death toll every 16–38 days
  • Over 9 million children dying every year
  • Some 70 million children dying between 2000 and 2007
The silent killers are poverty, hunger, easily preventable diseases and illnesses, and other related causes. In spite of the scale of this daily/ongoing catastrophe, it rarely manages to achieve, much less sustain, prime-time, headline coverage.

The Death of 25,000 is just a statistic...
So what are you saying? ********** kid? That in the greater scheme of things this kids life was meaningless?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 AM

677 posts, read 1,539,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
It's sad some kid thought he had to kill himself over this. It's sad his mother didn't do something to help him. Complaining a few times isn't enough if you know your kid is being bullied. You have to go in and make a huge nuisance of yourself and if that doesn't do anything, then you put your kid in another school.

As far as the administrators being fired, do you expect schools to put an adult on each child and listen to every word they say every day? It's impossible. It's a fact of life that kids are mean to each other, and harrass and bully each other. It's an unhappy part of growing up and learning how to cope with adversity, and learning where your place is in the social order. Most kids figure out how to deal with it without killing themselves.

This is a sad time for his family, but there's culpability on all sides.
BBM

Where your place is in the social order? What, whether you're a bully or a target of a bully?
Maybe if the bullies had been taught to treat others the way they want to be treated, this little boy would not have been forced to *deal with it.*

Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
BBM

Where your place is in the social order? What, whether you're a bully or a target of a bully?
Maybe if the bullies had been taught to treat others the way they want to be treated, this little boy would not have been forced to *deal with it.*
Oh, good solution. Start teaching children the Golden Rule. Let's teach them all to be surgeons, too, which is the simple solution to social welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates