Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,658,437 times

Advertisements

Alright I wanted to make this thread since there have been so many threads lately on this topic. Alright I was bullied for most of grade school, but it got very bad in my 7th grade year, name calling and even had someone slap me in the face for no reason. Now after that I didn't get bullied, because I moved. But I still lived/live with the emotional scars of it everyday. So I went to school for 8th grade, went to 9th grade(missed over 40 days of school though because I didn't feel like going), dropped out in 10th grade, went back for 11th grade(only there about 40% of the time though, than I dropped out and got a GED. Now Im not gonna completly blame the bullys of my past for me dropping out, but what was hurt through all of the bullying was my self confidence. And even right now(Im 18 now), I still have serious self confidence problems, that have also caused me to get addicted to a certain drug. So everything basically went down hill for me after 7th grade. So my questions are, have you been bullied? To what degree? How has it effected your life? And what should happen to the bullys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
In his thread "America could take a lesson here", the OP is of the opinion that the Russian system works, so it could be applied to school bullying, as well:

"Russian police and security forces have long been accused of seizing people suspected of aiding militants. Some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."

Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
You missed 40 days of school because you "didn't feel like going?" Reading through your post, one gets the distinct idea that you've used the fact that you were bullied as an excuse more than once in your life. I'm afraid I don't understand how being bullied "caused" you to get addicted to a certain drug. More likely, you turned to that drug as a means to escape a world you didn't particularly enjoy living in.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 AM

548 posts, read 1,252,175 times
You get over it and fight back. These kids are whiny nowadays.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You missed 40 days of school because you "didn't feel like going?" Reading through your post, one gets the distinct idea that you've used the fact that you were bullied as an excuse more than once in your life. I'm afraid I don't understand how being bullied "caused" you to get addicted to a certain drug. More likely, you turned to that drug as a means to escape a world you didn't particularly enjoy living in.
I agree. (Surprise, Fred!) No one has valid excuses for abusing drugs. You chose to... period. Stop yer whining! I got bullied too, a lot, and it only stopped when I decided to pop some guy back in the nose and make *him* bleed for a change.

On the bully question, I think anyone found to be bullying, on a third instance (think 'three-strikes-you're-out!') should be turned over to juvenile authorities and placed in a separate facility, have a record as such, and deal with the consequences of being a low-life.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In his thread "America could take a lesson here", the OP is of the opinion that the Russian system works, so it could be applied to school bullying, as well:

"Russian police and security forces have long been accused of seizing people suspected of aiding militants. Some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."
Jtur, as long as the subject of drug abuse came up, I have you ask... Are You On Crack??

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
You get over it and fight back. These kids are whiny nowadays.
Teen Commits Suicide Due to Bullying: Parents Sue School for Son's Death - ABC News

Bullying -> Bullycide: a suicide caused from bullying and depression

You look at those faces then go tell their parents "Your kids should have gotten over it".

What a trite and insensitive statement, why don't you do some research on the effects of bullying before you decide to be so damn flippant.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,937 times
this is the universe we live in. it's predatorial and nasty. that's why degenerates always outnumber those who are not. those who are good are more rare then those who are mediocre or evil. it's why evil people gain. it's why some throughout history have pondered the problem of evil etc.

as for school officials or teachers, it's very disturbing what you find out. it's very primordial as often they are the same way-bullies. i've seen teachers enjoy watching someone bullied probably because they have the same nature. people assume or even convince themselves that adults are supposedly mature or more moral. of course, the reality has nothing to do with any of our pretencious beliefs about ourselves that we are this civilized and nonanimalistic higher beings. humans have an ego about themselves, that in many ways is undeserved.

not all humans are actually "human." most are subhuman in mind or soul.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,052 times
I was lucky enough to never be bullied myself but coming from a small high school I did see it happen almost everyday. I also do research in this area and can attest to the psychologically damaging effects that chronic harassment can have on its victims. Damaged identity, low self-esteem, social anxiety, depression, and poor attitudes about school are just some of the problems that can result. I think that chronic bullies should be placed in some sort of intervention program to stabilize their behavior. Counseling within the school for both the bully and the victim would also be a good thing, to find out why the bully behaves the way they do, and to hopefully mitigate some of the effects that the behaviors have had on the victim.
Good Luck.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
This subject is the result of a the feminization of a country. Instead of retaliating todays children choose to hang themselves in their closet. While this is a travesty it is also cowardly. Children need to stand up for themselves even when it means being beat up or taking verbal slurs. It is far better that a child fight a good fight and lose than to end his or her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates