Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm thinking so i'm sinning if i can afford to pay for a Mercedes but choose to stick with my 01 honda accord
Yes, you are sinning by owning a Honda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I blame it on consumerism; from birth we are conditioned to consume products we don’t even truly need.
Through commercials we’re conditioned to believe that we need certain products to ‘feel’ successful.

The fact that people are herd-animals also plays a big role.
How about this TD, and, I understand it might be difficult for YOU to understand but, cars can actually be fun to drive. Oh, to be sure, they fulfill a basic need / requirement of getting from point A to point B but, it also be a pleasurable experience getting from A to B as well.

And, while there are many makes and models, at various price ranges, it is factual that performance and handling - some of what makes driving fun, are greatly enhanced in some of the more pricey automobiles.

Then, there is the issue of comfort - something we Americans put a lot of stock it - I understand you can't understand this concept but, it is also a fact nonetheless.

And, it is a fact that some of the larger cars, my Lincoln Towncar as an example, are some of the most comfortable rides on the road today. And, when someone does a lot of driving each year (we do somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 miles of driving each year), we prefer to do it in comfort.

Again - I can't expect that a person like you would understand the above - it is after all, an American thing.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeyes View Post
He who dies with the most toys....IS DEAD !
That, too.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think you are VERY WISE.

There is one type of car that ranks above all other models . . .

One that is paid for.

AMEN! I have a 96 jeep laredo that is free and clear and dearly love that
vehicle. No payment each month.....basic upkeep is it.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That sounds like a personal problem. You can't blame others for your feelings

You can't argue there is legitimate pressure brought to bear in this country (heck just look at our current financial crisis....we need to loosen credit) to use credit, spend money we don't have, to buy things we can't afford. His feelings are just that. He is permitted both to have and express them.

What makes you think that there are monthly payments?

For a large proportion of the population, there are montly payments associated with their autos, regardless of the make/model. That is what makes him/her think there are monthly payments...It's the American Way after all!

Zero. Zip. Nada.

There are always costs associated with maintenance. You, perhaps, paid for yours in the cost of your vehicle up front. But you did pay it.

You heard wrong.

Pay attention....he is having difficulty affording the car he has....so why would he go further into debt to buy something he cannot afford.....And OK...the car does not cost thousands per year to maintain.

Ummm..... Because they liked the car. Because it is well-built. Because it has an outstanding reputation. Because it drives well. Because it is enjoyable to drive. Shall I go on?

Because it's a chick magnet, because my friends will envy me, because its a mercedes, or a bmw, or whatever, because it's a status symbol...let's face it. There are folks who drive cars because they make a statement. Just because YOU may not, does not mean no one does. I agree with what you state above as well but there are status reasons as well. The OP is right too.

No one I know has ever bought one for any of those reasons. In fact, the only people that ever think that is the case are the ones that don't own one and want to cast aspirsions on those that do. In other words, ironically, it is the non-owners who are looking down their noses at the owners of luxury cars, not the other way around.
Now who is casting aspersions....I , in fact , now people who could not afford to eat because they drive these cars. Go into the inner city supermarkets where folks are using food stamps...now go into the parking lot and see what kinds of cars are out there. Then tell me why they are driving those vehicles??!! For status alone. They cannot afford them. They have debt on them. They ruin their lives for them. Let's not be snooty now because you can afford one. OK...

I think folks who can afford them, should drive whatever they like! But hey, lets be a little honest here, especially you guys, your cars say something about you, don't they??

Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 PM

47 posts, read 97,354 times
I'm exactly 3 years out of college and have lived in NoVa pretty much since I graduated. I drive a 91 Mercedes SEL.. and while I've loved those old mercedes since I was a kid, it does suck driving the oldest car on the road by 10 years in most cases. I enjoy not having car payments, and the car is truely a great car, however everytime I earn a little more money, I try and convince myself to buy a newer one. I think a lot of it has to do with living in a place with so much money. Most of the teenagers around here drive cars 10 times nicer than mine.. and in all honesty I think it's just a bit of jealousy that gets to me.

Around NoVa, everyone seems to ooze success, even if it's image only. Keep in mind that many of the people driving those 100K cars are likely underwater on their mortgage, and perhaps even leveraged their house to have the latest and greatest cars every 3 years.

Also, many people find having a nice car more important than housing situations. Many of my peers will lease expensive cars while living with a couple of roomates. As much as I enjoy a nice German car, I value the privacy of living by myself much more.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
My new vehicle criteria:

1. It's reliable meaning the car has been on the market for a few years and everyone knows it's reliable. I would never again buy a car model in it's first year.

2. It's safe. Not driving any of those new lightweight toy cars coming out on the market.

3. It's easy to get in and out of. I'm short. Would never drive an SUV or truck. Too hard to get into them with short legs and a bad knee.

4. My butt has to like it. That's right, if the butt doesn't like it, I don't buy the car.

5. It can't be a pain in the ass to get fuel for it meaning no specialty fuel and I'm not charging up any electric car every hundred miles, lugging any battery anywhere, hanging around waiting for a battery to charge.

I don't care what anyone thinks of me and my boring unflashy mid-sized sedan...and neither does my butt. I'm not trying to be a green person patting myself on the back for being so enlightened with my car choice and I'm not trying to impress the "keeping up with the Joneses" neighbors with an expensive car.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Does it really matter why someone buys the car they do? Because you can afford it, because it drives nice, because you look good in it, because it's fast? Who cares just as long as you are happy. Some people might measure success with a car but they were too easy to get for the longest time. Unless I see someone with a car they paid over 100k for (and own outright) I am not impressed.

If we all throw out what we really don't need in life we would ride bikes to work, wear hand made clothes that you grandmother made, grow your own food, and skip rocks for entertainment

I drive the car I do because it gets good mileage, is fast, looks good and rides nice.

I can be practical though I think anyone driving an SUV that does not haul or tow something is a little bit of a stretch. But hey, its their money and it helps my job

Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't believe in "success". I don't believe in "ambition". If you're feeding yourself, and have a roof over your head, that's all that's necessary.
Is your life only measured by survival?

What makes you happy? Simply surviving? If so - you are probably set for life.

But "achievement" of something is probably important to many, including me. I would not be happy if I hadn't achieved or made a difference somehow. It isn't measure by a car though. Simply surviving would not be enough.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
To the original question.....are cars any different than clothes, watches, jewelry, or homes? I would never spend $1000 on something like a purse or shoes, yet women do this all the time.

Cars can merely be transportation or they can be something to enjoy.

I happen to like cars. I like driving them, working on them, looking at them, etc. But I don't choose my vehicles to show people how successful I am. Certainly many people do and I don't care. Some seem to to think a blinged-out Escalade is the sign of success. Not for me and I may laugh at one when I see it.

But I sure do like my 1997 NSX. It is paid for and I am happy when I drive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates