Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

436 posts, read 907,905 times

Advertisements

I enjoy my stock Tahoe, big safe and not flashy , built like a tank, and will run for ever, unlike many exotic cars I see costing a fortune in repair bills. My neighbors Land rover is always in the shop. My Tahoe only goes to the dealer for oil changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
You heard the whole program, while most of us did not, but how in the world did you get from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
She said, "Toyota is a fine car. But what if you bought the Toyota yesterday and got a call from the Mercedes dealership saying your credit was straight and you could get the Mercedes?"
to this:

Quote:
[Y]ou should get a Mercedes if you are blessed enough to afford it
to THIS?

Quote:
I'm thinking so i'm sinning if i can afford to pay for a Mercedes but choose to stick with my 01 honda accord and use the money i would have to pay for the mercedes for other things such as charity or helping my family or friends out if they fall on hard times.
That reasoning doesn't even make any sense. The woman you quoted was apparently asking a question ("Would you buy a Mercedes if you could?" or possibly, "Is it wrong to buy a Mercedes if you can afford one?"), which you interpreted as, "You should buy a Mercedes" and then as, "You're a sinner if you don't buy a Mercedes."

Again, you heard the whole show and I did not, but I really don't understand how or why you interpret that question the way you did. You're a sinner if you don't buy a Mercedes?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Only nitwits consider a new upscale car a measure of success.

We real car guys know it's an OLDER upscale car in the garage - Superbird, Shelby, Yenko, Gullwing, dare I say M3 (real, E30 M3) that spells S-U-C-C-E-S-S!

A car that's going UP in value, not not one where the value is dropping like an anvil in a Bugs Bunny cartoon...

Asi es.

I drove by the local upscale used car lot the other day and noticed I could get a 5 year old Porsche 911 carrera for under 30K, Just because its a Merz or BMW doesn't mean the driver is rich, just indebted. But you've arrived when you pull up to the drive up window in a '62 Shelby cobra.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Because :

Some are phallic shaped and "go fast." Being female, I will take a Smart Car in the slower lane and a big bank account.
Be careful: I have seen, with my own two eyes, 2 "smartcars" laying on their sides - off the road - after high winds blew them OFF that road.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
buying a new expensive car is the most impractical and wasteful thing you can do with several thousand dollars, so to do it shows you are doing well.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Being seen in an expensive car is showing the rest of the MAMMON worshipers that you have been CHOSEN by MAMMON as worthy of SUCESS.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 AM

25,706 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Be careful: I have seen, with my own two eyes, 2 "smartcars" laying on their sides - off the road - after high winds blew them OFF that road.

Thanks, but no thanks.
I have seen semi trucks blown off the road. I have seen lots of cars off the road, both large and small, for various reasons.

Personally, I wouldn't take a mid-life-crisis-mobile like a Lexus, Mercedes, etc if you gave it to me. I certainly would take a smartcar or yaris if you gave that to me. My car gets 35 - 40 mpg; I trust that the smartcar or Yaris can top those numbers. That would be the only reason I would take them (assuming they are reliable and in good condition). For me, a car is a way to get from point A to point B. Nothing more. I'd rather not even have a car at all, but that's impractical in our modern times where I live.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I certainly would take a smartcar or yaris if you gave that to me. My car gets 35 - 40 mpg; I trust that the smartcar or Yaris can top those numbers. That would be the only reason I would take them (assuming they are reliable and in good condition). For me, a car is a way to get from point A to point B. Nothing more. I'd rather not even have a car at all, but that's impractical in our modern times where I live.
Eek, I wouldn't. Not only am I six feet tall, with a 6'4" husband and three tall children, meaning those cars are too dinky for us, but I would worry too much about being hit by a Navigator or Escalade. I agree that a car exists to get from A to B, but it should also help you get there in one piece.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Being seen in an expensive car is showing the rest of the MAMMON worshipers that you have been CHOSEN by MAMMON as worthy of SUCESS.
Speaking ill of Mammon will land you on the sacraficial altar, infidel.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The bottom line is, it's transportation. As long as it's dependable and gets decent gas mileage, that's all that matters to me. I couldn't car less how it looks. If I didn't have to travel so far to work, I wouldn't even bother having one. They do have a lot of 'headache' associated with them--maintenance, insurance, gas, stressful driving, risk, etc. It's just that the bus service around here is not so great... so I'm stuck with a car.

So that's why I'm not really impressed with someone's ride. It's a hunk of metal used to get our butts where we want to go. As long as it does its job, what else matters?
Not all of us have this view on cars ; I have a small SUV for my daily driver, and I happen to own a 2006 Corvette which i bought new in 2006 , and i got it because Ive always had a liking for Sports Cars and now im in my 50's...I could finally afford one. I worked very hard and long to buy this car, and I dont use it to show off or to get the applause of people . I enjoy all aspects of the car including getting me from point A. to point B . I was in a local Corvette Club where I made new friends ,we shared the same passion , and we used our high priced Toy for fun, trips, as well as raise money for charity by holding Car Shows to the public charging a nominal fee for admission. I give God the praise for this car which i saved up and paid cash for.

Not everyone you see driving a nice car is pretenious ; I just wanted to make this post and caution some not to apply a stereotype to ALL people . Regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates