Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have Volvo XC90's and a new Ford F-150 P/U (plus other vehicles). We are trading off vehicles every year - For the most part, our vehicles are not more than 2 years old. There are a few exceptions including our Motorcycles, a beat up Dodge P/U we use for the property, and the motorhome.

Gas mileage is not high on my list of "needs" or "wants". First thing for us is comfort and styling. Next is the vehicles ability to fulfill our demands - and so on. I think the only way I knew what the MPG on the new Ford was - it was on the sticker.
Well, yes, and that's why so many different cars and trucks are made. Nowadays, my number one priority is mileage (well, right behind having the thing be dependable).

Back right out of high school, mileage wasn't a priority at all. I had a 57 Chevy with a hot-rodded 327 motor that had so high a compression ratio that I ran a mixture of aviation fuel in it. Hey, it was fast. It had a tunnel ram manifold sticking out of the hood with a holley double pumper carb. It was shiny black. The chicks liked it. It did quite well dragging the quarter mile outside of town. It got around 4 mpg if I remember correctly. Then I got a 70 Camaro and put a 396 in it. The 50's on the back needed to be replaced quite often.

But... looking back on that now, I just don't get it. What was in my brain at the time? I look at a 57 Chevy or a 70 Camaro now and just sort of shrug my shoulders. Cars just don't do much for me anymore. I must admit though, I love seeing cars from the 20's and 30's, like a Model T or a 34 Ford. I wouldn't mind have one just to look at and to collect dust. I don’t know what I’d actually do with it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I was listening to he Yolanda Adams morning show today while i was running errands. I heard Yolanda say something that got me thinking. She said, "Toyota is a fine car. But what if you bought the Toyota yesterday and got a call from the Mercedes dealership saying your credit was straight and you could get the Mercedes?" That made me think; here was a christian speaker basically saying that you should get a Mercedes if you are blessed enough to afford it. I'm thinking so i'm sinning if i can afford to pay for a Mercedes but choose to stick with my 01 honda accord and use the money i would have to pay for the mercedes for other things such as charity or helping my family or friends out if they fall on hard times?

This aint the only instance where i feel pressure of getting a new car if i have success. My mother and I were having a conversation of what i would do after college. She suggests i buy a new car after graduation. I say i probably own so i can concentrate on paying off college debt. Mom says sometimes its good to reward yourself. I say cant I reward myself by paying off my college debts a couple of years early?

Whenever i see a nice new expensive car i think of a few of things, debt, upkeep, the condition of that person, and security.

- Debt. Whenever i see a Mercedes or BMW, i think how much are the payments running per month? How much is it to insure?

- Upkeep. How much does that car cost to maintain? I've heard of European cars like BMW and Mercedes costing thousands a year to maintain. Its hard enough for me as a college student keeping a 01 Honda accord matained. How is someone making $30k a year gonna maintain a Mercedes?

- Condition of the person. Why did that person buy a BMW or Mercedes? Is it to show off? Is it regional pressure? Is it to give an impression that you've done something great?

- Security. In my neighborhood, upscale cars are vandalized and broken into all the time. Just last week a Lexus SUV got its entire front body stolen off it inside my parking garage. Why would you buying an expensive car if you live in a questionable or bad neighborhood?

I guess it is the materialistic nature of the US. Success is measured in posessions instead of the impact you leave on other people's lives. I think its sad that people will think i'm broke and unsuccessful because i'll see no reason to part with my (hopefully running) 01 honda accord after my college graduation.
Some people do buy cars for status as others do for convenience and other for certain comforts. What is yours? That is the bottom line. You stated the pressure on you to buy another car. It is up to you to feel that pressure or not. I now have two fairly new cars after I had to finally get rid of the previous that were 13 and 17 year old one, expensive to maintain at this point. However, whenever people asked when I was going to buy a new one my usual response was when they give me the money to do so. I do not measuere success on material things. Sure in some ways I am materially successful but as a person that does not mean a thing to me. I have had not shame to live in my van when I had to and also have not problem living in hard economic times after having a better life before. In the end it is my family to keep safe and happy as best as I can. Those things come and go as far as I am concerned.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Well, some of us drive a lot! 30K miles a year is not uncommon.

And, I love to drive. My vehicles are part of the fun of driving. They are not merely to get from A to B. They are to make the day more enjoyable.

And, they do.
Darn right ; theres nothing more therapuetic than going thru a few gears in the '06 Vette if ive had a bad day !

Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM

429 posts, read 684,787 times
New cars are an immature idea..who wants to pay 5 or more years for something that will eventually be traded in for something else? Buy used and when that car gives up remember that autos can be donated to a charity and written off on taxes.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
New cars are an immature idea..who wants to pay 5 or more years for something that will eventually be traded in for something else? Buy used and when that car gives up remember that autos can be donated to a charity and written off on taxes.
I buy new for the fact of the warranties. I have not paid for a repair to most of my vehicles (except the old truck and motorcycle) for decades. And the new ones even include regular servicing.

The ONLY thing I have paid for, besides gas, is new tires (and even those get pro-rated) and windshield wiper blades.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
How about SAVE UP to buy an almost new car so someone else takes the hit on depreciation from driving it off the Dealer Lot ?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 PM

436 posts, read 908,036 times
Quote:
Be careful: I have seen, with my own two eyes, 2 "smartcars" laying on their sides - off the road - after high winds blew them OFF that road.

Thanks, but no thanks.
That's funny! I had one of thoes stupid cars pull up behind my Tahoe and it disappeared, I couldn't even see the law attachments!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good post.

I went car-free for years after graduating college and paid off all my debt, paid for my wedding and downpayment on first house as a result.

I was 27 when I bought my first new car and it was a Taurus station wagon and our sole vehicle.

At age 30, following a relocation I had to get a second car so I got a new bare bones Corrolla for 12k. (I have a very good job and could have squeezed into a low-end mercedes etc. but I didn't want to be tapped out.)

As luck would have it a couple years later my wife got cancer and co-pays, out of pocket costs etc. tapped a lot of our disposable income but thankfully we had that flexibility in our budget.

At age 38, as a treat to myself after the passing of my wife and with mechanical problems cropping up in my station wagon I purchased two new cars replacing the others that had a combined 20years on them.

I splurged getting a new highlander and a Z06 corvette (although getting incredible deals thats still close to 100k with taxes added in). I paid cash and have my house almost paid off and kids completely set for college so again, not doing anything stupid.

I will have those cars for 10+ years.

My sportscar I drive ALL the time and it has been a really enjoyable treat after a lot of tough years.
A Corvette is a car you buy and keep.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Smart car people could do better if you add up features and options, there are better equipment cars for the money that you would have enough room to actually carry something.
i just don't think the smart car is all that smart, it is just a fancy golf cart.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Smart car people could do better if you add up features and options, there are better equipment cars for the money that you would have enough room to actually carry something.
i just don't think the smart car is all that smart, it is just a fancy golf cart.
And for many applications, a golf cart works just fine. There are several actual golf carts licensed for the streets in my town. I see them driving around once in a while for short trips in town. What's the problem with that? If all I need is to move my own butt from where I live to the post office a couple miles away, what is wrong with a golf cart sized car? Why the hell do I need a Ford F-13,567,000 Cummins locomotive diesel seats 16 pickup truck to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates