Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
He spoke of his faith, admitted that while they may not share fully the same values that he was the candidate to lead us out of unemployment, cut the federal deficit, leave Iraq & Afgahnistan within 12 months, health care for all...

Obama is one of the 3 or 4 most eloquent speakers as a President in out history and he's both shrewd and tough. Not many policitcians that are so liberal to the marrow of their bones can make it work for them as he has. I admire him for many of his qualities, even if I disagree with most of his stances.
Obama isn't liberal, he's a moderate about a hair different from McCain in the political spectrum. Granted he TALKS a good talk but his actions and policies are another story.

Consider Bill Clinton, to this day I think it's funny how many dems love him and Hillary when they didn't do anything on healthcare, hurt the unions and blue collar workers with NAFTA, welfare reform, policies towards gays no different than the Bush admin...basically Clinton was a republican.

Don't take my word for it...but watch ACTIONS...not warm fuzzy statements. The justice departments anti-gay marriage blast this week was pretty funny, it's a good thing for the dems those people won't consider going 3rd party and can be taken for granted.

No plans to leave Iraq.
Guantanamo still open.
No real movement on healthcare reform.
No higher gas tax to fight global warming etc.
No gun law changes (despite fearmongering by people selling guns and ammo )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
He spoke of his faith, admitted that while they may not share fully the same values that he was the candidate to lead us out of unemployment, cut the federal deficit, leave Iraq & Afgahnistan within 12 months, health care for all...

Obama is one of the 3 or 4 most eloquent speakers as a President in out history and he's both shrewd and tough. Not many policitcians that are so liberal to the marrow of their bones can make it work for them as he has. I admire him for many of his qualities, even if I disagree with most of his stances.
Admittedly, I am surprised by your response because he spoke of funding for faith based organizations that would have gone beyond the big three.

I also believe that there were an awful lot of republicans upset with the Bush administration.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:45 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Admittedly, I am surprised by your response because he spoke of funding for faith based organizations that would have gone beyond the big three.

I also believe that there were an awful lot of republicans upset with the Bush administration.

I agree that moderate republicans were upset with Bush. In my opinion, he was a goon man who acted out of conviction, but was woefully unprepared for the office and never really understood it.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
I agree that moderate republicans were upset with Bush. In my opinion, he was a goon man who acted out of conviction, but was woefully unprepared for the office and never really understood it.
I have to rep both of you for your comments.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik the OP needs to look at the hisdtory of how a VP running mate is picked. It is by their satture in the party ;just a clue.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I find it amusing that "the mass" just assumes that ALL Republicans are religious zealots. Hell, I know some very religious people that are die-hard Democrats!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Oh my God you have a short memory.
In January 2004 the Democrat Party was being lead by a screamer and was literally rudderless.

The question that is asked right before any candidate decides to run for office is never "can I win?", but rather "can the incumbent be defeated?". In other words it has nothing to do with who the Republican Party puts up against Obama in '12 but rather how much will America be screaming for his exit in '12.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
The selection of Sarah Palin for their VP confirmed it. The Republican party, which once used to be filled with David Brooks and other intellectuals, is now almost purely the closed minded religious right. Abortion, War, and Gay rights issues are their only concerns. As a pro-life Democrat, I say the party is over.
If the United States doesn't go in the right direction on these issues, nothing else really matters. We won't be a country any decent person wants to live in if the Democrats get their way on these issues.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Obama isn't liberal, he's a moderate about a hair different from McCain in the political spectrum. Granted he TALKS a good talk but his actions and policies are another story.

Consider Bill Clinton, to this day I think it's funny how many dems love him and Hillary when they didn't do anything on healthcare, hurt the unions and blue collar workers with NAFTA, welfare reform, policies towards gays no different than the Bush admin...basically Clinton was a republican.

Don't take my word for it...but watch ACTIONS...not warm fuzzy statements. The justice departments anti-gay marriage blast this week was pretty funny, it's a good thing for the dems those people won't consider going 3rd party and can be taken for granted.

No plans to leave Iraq.
Guantanamo still open.
No real movement on healthcare reform.
No higher gas tax to fight global warming etc.
No gun law changes (despite fearmongering by people selling guns and ammo )
1) Mathguy, I think you are judging an awful lot based on five months of a presidency.

2) TomD, very astute observation.

3) Back to the OP's suggestion that Palin's candidacy reveals the fading away of the Republican party: Seems to me you could take a trip back 24 years earlier and see basically the same situation in reverse with the VP candidacy of Geraldine Ferraro. In each case, you had a party whose presidential candidate had basically no hope of winning. In each case, given this nothing-to-lose situation, the party honchos made the bold, if last-ditch, gamble to wow the electorate with a VP candidate who stood out both for being a woman and for being an outspoken proponent of opinions leaning toward the extreme of her party's spectrum of views. Aside from residing toward the opposite end of the political spectrum, Ferraro was just the Democrats' version of Palin, 24 years earlier. Apparently a move like this does not indicate that the party which makes the move is done. More than two decades since Ferraro, the Democrats do still seem to be hanging around the last time I looked. It will be the same with the Republicans as they figure out the need for, and the method, of moving into a post-neocon era.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
The selection of Sarah Palin for their VP confirmed it. The Republican party, which once used to be filled with David Brooks and other intellectuals, is now almost purely the closed minded religious right. Abortion, War, and Gay rights issues are their only concerns. As a pro-life Democrat, I say the party is over.
Hmmm, in one sentence you condemn the Republicans for what you view as their closed minded religous issues, then in the next you validate yourself by stating your stance on abortion.

Personally I find all of those subjects of little importance to us as a nation.
Not sure what party is over but I'm pretty sure the Republicans will be back.
Just as your party loses its way ocasionally but finds its way back to liberalism the Republican party I think will move beyond the liberal bush & McCain views & get back to its conservative roots. Theres alot to be gained by sticking to principles & doing the right thing.
Ask any black person if they are glad that a Republican President started the civil war or if theyre glad that the southern democrats kept segregation alive well into the 20th century.

Its naive to only look at one recent administration & make a sweeping statement based on it. By & large Conservative administrations have done much more good for the US than liberal ones did, be they Democrat Conservatives or Republican ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates