Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

306 posts, read 477,247 times

Advertisements

The selection of Sarah Palin for their VP confirmed it. The Republican party, which once used to be filled with David Brooks and other intellectuals, is now almost purely the closed minded religious right. Abortion, War, and Gay rights issues are their only concerns. As a pro-life Democrat, I say the party is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 18,946,695 times
Doesn't bother me. Next in the crosshairs should be the dems. Removing one brain tumor out of two isn’t enough. For true healing, ALL the cancer has to be purged.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,562,947 times
To a certain degree, I agree. However, there's new blood in the party and this is all cyclical. I recall when the dems were thrown out of both houses during the Clinton years. The largest shift of power in US history. They were written off then, but came back strong. As will the relublicans. Since neither party can effectively govern, this cycle will continue on and on.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
The selection of Sarah Palin for their VP confirmed it. The Republican party, which once used to be filled with David Brooks and other intellectuals, is now almost purely the closed minded religious right. Abortion, War, and Gay rights issues are their only concerns. As a pro-life Democrat, I say the party is over.
I don't think this is any more true than saying the democratic party is the party that supports rights of pediphiles, yada yada yada. You have the extremist on both sides and yours is in office curently. Your party could be accused of being only concerned about gay rights, abortion etc.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,390,701 times
I'm a republican and grew up in a very republican household that was no where close to being a "religious right". With that said, I've noticed more of a dichotomy within the party, but that's probably because the "religious right" faction seems to be more vocal and get more media coverage lately.

I can't be the only atheistic republican that is fiscally conservative and socially "depends on the issue", can I?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,235,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post

I think they bit off way more than they could chew with Palin.

Looking back, now, I think that this could be a purging of elements of sorts. The Religious Right has felt betrayed by the Republican party for some time. Further, they want more bang for their buck so to speak. Palin was very uneducated.

Well, if anything this could show that they aren't going to get anywhere following that road. They have to rebuild and hopefully stop pandering to the fringe element.

If they are going to rebuild then they are going to have to stop relying on tactics that are not working anymore. They have to go further then appealing to the Faux News crowd. They can't do that unless people start asking better questions.

Part of this responsibility is on those who are Republicans. They have to ask better questions. They have to become more educated on the constitution. They have to be willing, and a good portion do as it is, see beyond the rhetoric`and demand better responses, better quality.

Yeah, I agree that there is a dichotomy.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
IThe Religious Right has felt betrayed by the Republican party for some time.
This is an interesting quote.

I think that Obama made a tremendous political gamble pay off when he wooed the supposedly Religous Right and found there were many non godly people willing to switch and vote for him. Granted, this was most likely due to him being black, but nonetheless I feel he fractured that element of the republican party.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,390,781 times
Like GM, the Republican Party thought they were too big to fail. Well, George Jr. sure changed that attitude. I'd always voted Republican, even twice for Jr., but since then I'll never vote Republican again. What a bunch of self-serving bigoted dinosaurs. I say, bury the dead, or they'll stink up the place.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,235,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
This is an interesting quote.

I think that Obama made a tremendous political gamble pay off when he wooed the supposedly Religous Right and found there were many non godly people willing to switch and vote for him. Granted, this was most likely due to him being black, but nonetheless I feel he fractured that element of the republican party.
And how did he woo them?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And how did he woo them?

He spoke of his faith, admitted that while they may not share fully the same values that he was the candidate to lead us out of unemployment, cut the federal deficit, leave Iraq & Afgahnistan within 12 months, health care for all...

Obama is one of the 3 or 4 most eloquent speakers as a President in out history and he's both shrewd and tough. Not many policitcians that are so liberal to the marrow of their bones can make it work for them as he has. I admire him for many of his qualities, even if I disagree with most of his stances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates