Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Not to get off subject here but animal urine is used in cosmetics, clothing and hormone replacement???? Are you serious?
YES...the person was serious...and accurate : Is animal urine used in cosmetics ? - Bing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You'd be surprised what finds its way into such things. A lot of the animal glands I accumulate while trapping have a market for perfumes and such. Otherwise they'd largely go to waste (only need so much for new lures...).

Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
Quote:
Not to get off subject here but animal urine is used in cosmetics, clothing and hormone replacement???? Are you serious?
that's the problem with people making wild generalizations about things. While the statement is true, that animal urine, gland derivatives, etc are used in these things, it is also a misleading statement. There are many alternatives available, and if you do a little bit of research you will be able to find all of those items made entirely without animal products. Sorry, folks, it's just not that hard ~

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,096 times
Urine has been used in cosmetics, and on its own as a skin treatment for centuries. It is generally considered to be good for the skin.

It sounds gross, but when you remember that healthy urine is sterile, it isn't so bad.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
that's the problem with people making wild generalizations about things. While the statement is true, that animal urine, gland derivatives, etc are used in these things, it is also a misleading statement. There are many alternatives available, and if you do a little bit of research you will be able to find all of those items made entirely without animal products. Sorry, folks, it's just not that hard ~
Yeah ... I guess I will need to look for alternatives then. Call me ignorant but why on earth would animal urine need to be used in the making of these products? What benefits could be served?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
Quote:
Yeah ... I guess I will need to look for alternatives then. Call me ignorant but why on earth would animal urine need to be used in the making of these products? What benefits could be served?
No, it's not ignorant of you at all. Fact is, urine or animal products do not 'need' to be used in any of these products. No benefits are served, other than economic. And companies certainly don't list things like "pure urine!" on ingredient labels on cosmetics, etc. Rather, they deliberately hide what's in their products (not just limited to animal products either; I'm talking about petroleum, soy discard, fish scales/innards, pulverized bone, etc.) Blecch~~~ Use whatever you wish, but for me it's "no thanks!"

Like I said, it's not a 'need' and there are plenty of other things available.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
No, it's not ignorant of you at all. Fact is, urine or animal products do not 'need' to be used in any of these products. No benefits are served, other than economic. And companies certainly don't list things like "pure urine!" on ingredient labels on cosmetics, etc. Rather, they deliberately hide what's in their products (not just limited to animal products either; I'm talking about petroleum, soy discard, fish scales/innards, pulverized bone, etc.) Blecch~~~ Use whatever you wish, but for me it's "no thanks!"

Like I said, it's not a 'need' and there are plenty of other things available.
But what economical benefits would companies have for using these gross substances in cosmetics, etc?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Do keep in mind that generally it's not the same as rubbing urine (or whatever) on your skin because of the chemical reactions from mixing the ignredients and making the final product...take the other ingredients that don't sound as icky as animal urine or whatever and you still wouldn't like them alone (some may even be toxic on their own before any reactions with other ingredients).

Hexane (and many other solvents) is used to extract soy oil. Trace amounts (or more, a recent study found some issues with this) are often found in many soy products.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I once had a job in which I handled cheap porous paper a lot, and in winter it was drying out and chapping my hands. Someone suggested a hand cream that contained Urea, so I thought, I'll just pee on them. It worked great, and the price was right. Peeing in the shower is also a sure fire treatment for athletes foot.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I once had a job in which I handled cheap porous paper a lot, and in winter it was drying out and chapping my hands. Someone suggested a hand cream that contained Urea, so I thought, I'll just pee on them. It worked great, and the price was right. Peeing in the shower is also a sure fire treatment for athletes foot.
Uh... Thank so much for sharing ... That's really good to knooowww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates