Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think you can make that leap. Our genus evolved from something, it did not just magically appear out of thin air, full equipped as modern man. In every organism, the mechanism for feeding is paramount in its development, obviously predating any later structures including prehensile hands, which in any case, evolved according to the survival value of just transporting prey to the mouth. The most primitive living things are reproductive organs with mouths. Everything else came later, to supplement and fine tune the basics.
After re-reading, I'm not sure that I properly addressed your points with my first post.

Homo Habilis is considered by some (not all) to be the earliest species included in the Homo genus. Their fossil remains are typically found with primitive stone tools. The idea is that these guys used stone flakes to butcher scavenged meat, opening the door to a very big world full of protein. They certainly would not have been accomplished hunters and probably were not very sophisticated, but it isn't a stretch to see how a scavenging ancestor could give rise to hunting progeny. The problem with that idea is that there seems to be some evidence that Homo Erectus (a real hunter) co-existed with Habilis. So rather than being direct decendants of Habilis, its more likely that there is another common ancestor in the primate family that gave rise to bipedal, toolmaking hunters with sophisticated brains.

Whatever the driving forces for the primate hands was, I think it was something totally different that led to the toolmaking brain in concert with opposable thumbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Humans are not the only primates that use tools to assist with getting food.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Heck, even birds and squirrels can use "tools" to get what they're wanting. Or maybe that was coons.

I've definitely heard of birds adding rocks to get water to rise high enough to drink.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Heck, even birds and squirrels can use "tools" to get what they're wanting. Or maybe that was coons.

I've definitely heard of birds adding rocks to get water to rise high enough to drink.
I've heard of that as well. It was in Aesop's fables.

There was a confirmed case of a crow bending a copper wire into a hook and using it to fish a piece of meat out of an empty bottle. What was interesting was the crow learned the trick simply by watching a human do it.

I think there is a qualitative difference, however, between using elemental tools, like twigs and sticks, to extract termites and weaver ants from their mounds and fashioning a cutting instrument from a rock. It takes a quantum leap to be able to "see" a blade in a rock.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I suspect that when man first developed the prehensile hand, the first tool he made was the back-scratcher.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I suspect that when man first developed the prehensile hand, the first tool he made was the back-scratcher.
What's really sad is that all that human toolmaking prowess has culminated in... "The Fleshlight"

We should probably get back on topic at this point.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
You mean the back-scratcher was not on topic?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
You mean the back-scratcher was not on topic?
It apparently led me into a very bad digression.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

481 posts, read 806,751 times
I have been vegetarian for 20 years, ever since I learned about the awful concentration camp conditions of factory animals. Sickening.

Plus, meat is filled with hormones and is very fattening. Beef raises your chance of getting cancer!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
I have been vegetarian for 20 years, ever since I learned about the awful concentration camp conditions of factory animals. Sickening.

Plus, meat is filled with hormones and is very fattening. Beef raises your chance of getting cancer!
That's more like it.

What would you say to someone who has not consumed any store bought meat in over a year? My freezer stays stocked with game meats. Deer harvested off the hoof is extremely lean, has free-grazed its entire life, has never been subject to a hormone treatment and is not fattening in proper portions.

Wild dove, duck and quail are in the freezer as well. Its amazing how different the meat of a wild, migratory bird is from a farm raised chicken. Dark, flavorful, lean. Almost more like red meat.

At any rate, the most organic beef available off of any shelf can't hold a candle to wild venison. And no concentration camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates