Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Um...no. But now you got me curious.
Look for it. It is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Funny story...

I am in a cycling club, and one time the club had a morning ride from a friend's house. The plan was for everyone to go out on a 40+ mile ride and be back in time for lunch. Several people brought a wide variety of food - burgers, chicken to grill, even some healthy food. In this club, we have a couple of vegetarians and one vegan. The vegan usually brings his own to ensure that he will have something to eat. To this event, he brought a big bowl of some cold bean concoction (yawn). I brought a smorgasboard of grilled veggies. I mean a lot, consisting of a variety of peppers (red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, annaheim peppers, poblano peppers, green and yellow squash, tomatoes, portabelo mushrooms, onions, cut-up sweet potatoes, and topped with rasberry chipotle simmerd pecans.) It was seasoned with a rosemary garlic seasoning mix with olive oil. I call this "getting your veggie drunk on." Anyhoo, not everyone went on the ride. The few that stayed behind (not the vegan) were getting a little hungry and saw our vegan's bean dish. Thinking it must be an appetizer, they finished it off with some chips - like a bean dip, before the rest of the people returned from the ride. He couldn't believe it. He really had a look of dissapointment on his face - he never expressed any anger, but you know he wasn't happy. However, he was so happy to see me walk into the kitchen with my grilled veggies. He had a huge portion (I had plenty). Those veggies were the hit of the lunch. People couldn't believe how good veggies could be. Certainly better than that bland piece of chicken I had. We were standing around the kitchen talking about the food we had and I was asked how I prepared the veggies. The vegan happend to be standing right next to me while I was telling the group how I prepared it. They asked what was the seasoning. I told them it was a roasted garlic and rosemary blend with some minced onion, blah blah. They said, no no, what was the marinade that made the vegetables so tender, or something to that effect. With the vegan standing right next to me, I said, "oh...bacon grease." Oh he about hurled thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease. Ah good times, good times.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
oh that's hilarious. you ate someone's food and then knowingly let him eat something that he has a moral objection to eating. serves him right for, uh, having a different diet from you? you sure showed him!

i bet you're a real laff riot when you're hanging out with jewish, muslim or hindu people!

edit: oh wait, or was the bacon grease thing not true? if so, i rescind my righteous fury!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh that's hilarious. you ate someone's food and then knowingly let him eat something that he has a moral objection to eating. serves him right for, uh, having a different diet from you? you sure showed him!
Hold on there, I didn't get there until lunch time, with my veggies. I didn't make the ride as I was grilling all morning. And the people did not know that was his food that he had brought. Please read that again, carefully. I made a point that the people thought it was an appetizer that must have been for everyone. As I also made it a point that it was olive oil, I just said it was bacon grease for the vegans sake. It was pretty funny, he laughed as well after he regained his composure.

Quote:

i bet you're a real laff riot when you're hanging out with jewish, muslim or hindu people!
As a matter of fact, I do not descriminate in my humor. I am even a riot with my christian and wiccan friends as well, equal opportunist laff riot. Your remark about my religious friends remind me of a question that I asked my jewish girlfriend about some of the food restrictions she observes for passover. During passover, they cannot eat legumes. I asked if she can't eat legumes, how is it that she can eat peanuts? She responded, well.. "we really like peanuts." Get it? That reminds me I better get over to my jewish girlfriend's house to watch today's stage of the TdF in HD.

Quote:
edit: oh wait, or was the bacon grease thing not true? if so, i rescind my righteous fury!
Yeah, you shouldn't be so quick.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They may have not eaten the quantity of meat that people do in one sitting. The racial stock known for the longest lifespans eat rice predominately, and very little meat--but they DO eat meat.

There's a difference between eating 3-4 ounces of meat at a meal, and eating a 16 ounce steak.
Rice and FISH, lots of different kinds of fish. As or the American Indian tribes they ate lots of meat. It was the staple of their diet. They didn't start having issues with dietary things until they started having to depend on the government to supply them with meat. rancid, nasty agency beef crawling with Brucelosis bacteria. When wild game was off the menu they became unhealthy. This was also due to the contraction of European illnesses, such as small pox, bubonic plauge, influenza etc, which ran rampant because they became sedentary and their new diet sucked.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
To this event, he brought a big bowl of some cold bean concoction (yawn). I brought a smorgasboard of grilled veggies. I mean a lot, consisting of a variety of peppers (red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, annaheim peppers, poblano peppers, green and yellow squash, tomatoes, portabelo mushrooms, onions, cut-up sweet potatoes, and topped with rasberry chipotle simmerd pecans.) It was seasoned with a rosemary garlic seasoning mix with olive oil. I call this "getting your veggie drunk on."
can I halt this lovely debate to ask for a recipe for your dish? raspberry chipotle pecans sound awesome!

there are some vegetarian/vegan dishes that I find very bland. maybe because I'm so used to having a lot of the stuff I eat seasoned w/ chicken flavored bouillon (I swear my mother used that stuff for almost every thing she cook, even scrambled eggs). even worse are some of the vegan raw dishes and baked goods I've had. but there are some vegetarian/vegan stuff that is just awesome. I never thought I'd really like tofu (I'm not a fan of soy products and the one time I had tofu, it was disgusting), but I tried some buffalo tofu at Whole Foods and it was delicious and I ended up buying some.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Rice and FISH, lots of different kinds of fish. As or the American Indian tribes they ate lots of meat. It was the staple of their diet. They didn't start having issues with dietary things until they started having to depend on the government to supply them with meat. rancid, nasty agency beef crawling with Brucelosis bacteria. When wild game was off the menu they became unhealthy. This was also due to the contraction of European illnesses, such as small pox, bubonic plauge, influenza etc, which ran rampant because they became sedentary and their new diet sucked.
You've never heard of Kobe beef? The Japanese eat more than just fish, as far as their meat goes. Same for the rest of the Southeast Asian countries.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ostrich Meat is VERY good.

Ever tried it???
It is also actually great for you as well. Extremely lean.

Bison is great too. It is a little harder to find, but when I lived in Wyoming we had it at the restaurant where I worked....Better than beef any day.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
panterra, i skimmed your post and misunderstood it. i apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates