Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
I dislike both, but I think Whoppers are more harmful.

If everyone stopped eating meat, there would be no starvation on the planet. It takes obscene amounts of grain and water to produce one pound of beef.
We have plenty of food for the world right now as we speak. The reason so many are starving are political and economic reasons. Me eating deer meat has nothing to do with a poor African starving because of some dictator or war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Boxing gloves are not considered to be lethal weapons.

Try again.
A trained boxer's fists, in a court of criminal law, are considered to be lethal weapons. The objective of a boxer in the ring is to repeatedly hit the unprotected head of his opponent with those fists until he loses consciousness. The only difference offered by the boxing gloves is that it takes more blows to the head to render the opponent comatose. Great sport.

Try again.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
What other sports use lethal weapons and produce wounds and lots of blood every time?
Hockey.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:46 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,096 times
Quote:
Boxing gloves are not considered to be lethal weapons.

Try again.
Go ahead and step into the ring with someone like Tyson, then.

Let me know how that works out for ya.

Try again.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I have been a vegetarian for 23 years now, most of the time even vegan

Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have been a vegetarian for 23 years now, most of the time even vegan

I too have been a vegetarian for 16 years and have a mostly vegan home. I do not cook with animal products but will bring home left over pizza...

Anyway...I find that there is a disconnect here.

First, animals eating each other in nature is very pure. They do not have refridgeration and the hunters (lionesses for example) kill food (a Gisele for example) for their entire tribe.

The tribe eats the kill and does not eat again until needed.

All the while, the Gisele herd is free, roaming, eating, loving, enjoying etc. etc.

As for us humans (besides the hunters on this thread) we are generally eating manufactured animals each time we order a burger.

That ground beef patty has hundreds of cows whom from the time of birth were fed chemicals, stood in their own feces, were kept from natural interactions and were then most likely transferred to a slaughterhouse where their slaughtering was inhumane (IMO) and downright dirty (IMO).

One really does not equal the other Lioness Hunting VS Humans getting a fast food burger. So while people can say that humans have been eating meat for centuries, yes this is true however, we have only been factory farming for about 40 or 50 years. Therefore, that is why the spear/roasting over an open fire is not really relevant (IMO) for the argument.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM

481 posts, read 806,972 times
Oh Lord, the old "we're in too deep to ever change" argument. Thank heaven that tired argument didn't prevail when slavery was finally abolished.

I live in the country. One day, a beautiful 10 point buck came stumbling up to our house, staggering, blowing hard, head down, and in great pain - with an ARROW stuck deep in his chest. He died a horrible death due to a hunter missing his "clean shot." Disgusting.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:12 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Oh Lord, the old "we're in too deep to ever change" argument. Thank heaven that tired argument didn't prevail when slavery was finally abolished.

I live in the country. One day, a beautiful 10 point buck came stumbling up to our house, staggering, blowing hard, head down, and in great pain - with an ARROW stuck deep in his chest. He died a horrible death due to a hunter missing his "clean shot." Disgusting.
An arrow is designed to inflict a wound that causes the animal to bleed to death. Thats how it works. Very seldom does a bow hunter drop his animal in it's tracks. It's worked that way since the invention of the bow and arrow. I tend to hunt with firearms, though I have nothing against archers. Ever animal we have taken dropped in it's tracks and never knew what hit them. Patience. Not every hunter is as lucky as we have been, botched shots happen, and have been for thousands of years

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM

481 posts, read 806,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An arrow is designed to inflict a wound that causes the animal to bleed to death. Thats how it works. Very seldom does a bow hunter drop his animal in it's tracks. It's worked that way since the invention of the bow and arrow. I tend to hunt with firearms, though I have nothing against archers. Ever animal we have taken dropped in it's tracks and never knew what hit them. Patience. Not every hunter is as lucky as we have been, botched shots happen, and have been for thousands of years
That is just CRUEL and disgusting!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
That is just CRUEL and disgusting!
The other poster stated a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates