Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Good point, TK. Of course, vegetables feel pain. Why does a flower turn to face the sun? The same reason an animal eats. It is painful not to. The flower eats the suns rays, and turns toward the sun to avoid the pain of that hunger. That's how life works. Organisms that survive have evolved a system of pain, that encourages them to stop the pain by doing what has survival value. Why do you think plants are any different? The reflexes of plants are too slow for stupid humans to recognize their reactions to painful stimuli, and they don't have any vocal mechanism to cry out. But plants still are aware of adverse events and try to defend themselves from it.
Speaking seriously for a moment, in many cases, either the plant dies when you harvest it for eating, or you are taking the vehicle for it to grow anew--the seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

78 posts, read 227,834 times
Why does there always have to be a right and wrong way? Who says that good health, meat and/or no meat are mutually exclusive in either case? I can respect individual choices either way on the matter, but blanket statements about what's healthier - not so fast. We can all find isolated essays or studies to back what we want to believe but look at the long-term evidence of the longest living cultures (in aggregate) with the healthiest, highest quality of life and you'll find that the majority do not eliminate meat or animal products from their diet. It's typically a combination of an inclusive, whole and natural diet along with more physical lifestyles that are inculcated into the culture. In fact you probably don't see many of these people needing to go to the gym to work out either, because their lifestyles are naturally active. That said, there are vegetarian cultures that have also been shown to have equally long, healthy lives.

I think this is the wrong debate if it's coming from a health perspective. For other reason such as environmental or moral, then that may be something else. Purely from a health standpoint, as we debate "to meat or not to meat", learn more about "dangerous food groups" eliminate whole food groups completely (animal proteins = evil! - no, carbs = evil! - no, fats = evil!), build and pay for more gyms, flood the market with diet products, increase the number of weight loss surgeries, dole out more prescriptions for high cholesterol, diabetes and blood pressure, Americans are getting fatter sooner, developing chronic conditions at a younger age, while many cultures around the world don't obsess, enjoy food from a variety of sources and live a good quality of life - until the fast food chains move into town....

Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene09 View Post
... Americans are getting fatter sooner, developing chronic conditions at a younger age, while many cultures around the world don't obsess, enjoy food from a variety of sources and live a good quality of life - until the fast food chains move into town....
You're right, people seem to obsess about food too much, for whatever reason. The typical American lifestyle involves sitting at a desk, sitting in front of a computer, sitting in front of a TV, and sitting in a car. You can't over eat and sit around all the time, which is why we see the health issues. The Native Americans had a very active lifestyle over 100 years ago, but today they have the same problems as average Americans now because they were forced to live on reservations and couldn't life the same way as before.

Michael Phelps can consume 12,000 calories, basically eating whatever he wants, but at least he burns it all, whereas a common sedentary person doing the same would become the next guy that can't get out of bed because he weighs too much. So if a person eats something, they must be active enough for the body to consume it completely, and that's what doesn't happen.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you're eating a balanced, properly portioned, biologically appropriate diet (which includes several grams of animal protein per day), you will not be overweight, cancer prone, at risk of heart disease, have beef rotting in your colon, nor will you have any need for dietary supplements.

The problem that most Americans have is a complete inability to control portions, they eat way too much processed food, do not drink enough water, have basically homogenous diets and have grossly insufficient fiber intake.

Meat does not make people fat, cancerous, diabetic and unhealthy. Undisciplined, uninformed lifestyles make people fat, cancerous, diabetic and unhealthy.
There are numerous studies showing that (mostly with red-meat) there is a definite increased risk of cancer and heart-related issues even with normal-sized portions of meat. Also, I won't even get into the thousands of Americans that are getting sick from contaminated meat each year.

Let's look at your example of the "undisciplined" person whom cannot control their quantities. If you eat over-consume meat, odds are that you will get unhealthy and fat. On the contrary, if you "over-consume" fruits and vegetables, if anything, you are probably just making yourself much healthier.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
There are numerous studies showing that (mostly with red-meat) there is a definite increased risk of cancer and heart-related issues even with normal-sized portions of meat. Also, I won't even get into the thousands of Americans that are getting sick from contaminated meat each year.

Let's look at your example of the "undisciplined" person whom cannot control their quantities. If you eat over-consume meat, odds are that you will get unhealthy and fat. On the contrary, if you "over-consume" fruits and vegetables, if anything, you are probably just making yourself much healthier.
Can you link to a few of those studies? It would help to post your sources.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post

LMAO, OK so, go eat a whole bushel of fresh apples( that would qualify as over consumption..yes) and let me know how you feel. When you get out of the bathroom that is. You may be tied up for a while. Or wait, 'tied up' would probably be just the opposite of what you would be..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO, OK so, go eat a whole bushel of fresh apples( that would qualify as over consumption..yes) and let me know how you feel. When you get out of the bathroom that is. You may be tied up for a while. Or wait, 'tied up' would probably be just the opposite of what you would be..
Wouldn't be nearly as bad as eating a bushel of ground beef patties. When applies can be picked right off the tree in the fall, it is not unusual for me to eat a couple of pounds in a day. I'd sure never eat a two-pound steak, or eight quarter-pounders in a day.

By "overconsumption", he meant a supersized meal or a buffet spread, not a bushel. Let us know when you get back to this planet.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't be nearly as bad as eating a bushel of ground beef patties. When applies can be picked right off the tree in the fall, it is not unusual for me to eat a couple of pounds in a day. I'd sure never eat a two-pound steak, or eight quarter-pounders in a day.

By "overconsumption", he meant a supersized meal or a buffet spread, not a bushel. Let us know when you get back to this planet.
Could YOU quote some studies to back up your opinions on the negative effects of meat? So far the 'pro vegetarian' crowd has thrown a lot of facts around but has not substantiated any of them with sources. I am not saying you are wrong, but you can't expect anyone to take your claims seriously unless you back up what you are saying, right?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Could YOU quote some studies to back up your opinions on the negative effects of meat? So far the 'pro vegetarian' crowd has thrown a lot of facts around but has not substantiated any of them with sources. I am not saying you are wrong, but you can't expect anyone to take your claims seriously unless you back up what you are saying, right?
You got me. I cannot post an objective link to a peer-reviewed study that shows that a person might be adversely affected from eating a bushel of ground-beef patties in one day. My bad..

By the way, I'm not the "pro-vegetarian crowd". But I am in the "anti eating a whole bushel of anything in one day crowd".

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You got me. I cannot post an objective link to a peer-reviewed study that shows that a person might be adversely affected from eating a bushel of ground-beef patties in one day. My bad..

By the way, I'm not the "pro-vegetarian crowd". But I am in the "anti eating a whole bushel of anything in one day crowd".
How about a study showing us eating meat has a negative effect on your health?

And let's leave the sarcasm at home and try to have a reasoned debate. If you can handle that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates