Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Language has been evolving since day one. English is no different.
)
That is, of course, true. However, when a language "evolves" so rapidly that one generation can no longer communicate intelligibly with another, that is not the normal evolution of language, but a superimposition of an new artificial language upon another. It is not so much a linguistic phenomenon, but rather a social one, in which one generation chooses to set itself apart from another, partly for the purpose of showing contempt for and superiority over the culture of the people speaking the old language. Not only does the newer generation refuse to speak or even understand the language of the older generation, but increasingly refuses to communicate with them at all, or even make eye-contact with them in public places.

Paradoxically, just as formal English seems poised to become the universal language of humankind, the Americans are on the brink of abandoning it. We will be non-compliant in both language and weights and measures.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-30-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 PM

515 posts, read 716,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post

As far as I am concerned, language changes all the time. Nothing stays the same. All that matters is being well educated, as long as everybody understands each other I do not see a problem.
Agreed, but therein lies the problem; it seems to be changing too quickly; rapidly becoming incomprehensible by many and is relentlessly depersonalizing..."that" is frequently used instead of "who", for example.

Maybe it's just me who is having scary visions of an Orwellian world.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Stuff that makes me groan:

"Caregiver". Suddenly, we realized we can't "take" "care" of someone or something...we must give care to it.

"Went missing". What happened to the word "disappeared"?

"Chair" of a committee, etc. Now, we must become a stick of furniture rather than refer to someone as a chairman. I'm sure Chair Mao is rolling in his grave.

Lastly...."Green" I am so sick of this word there are no words to describe the ill feeling it gives me to read or hear it. It is ruined forever.
Me too. My favorite color is green, but I'm really sick of the "Go Green" crap.

Another term that drives me nuts is using the word "space" for a room. People say, "Oh, I just love what you did with the "space". Aaaargh, just say you like the damned living room!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
"Went missing". What happened to the word "disappeared"?
I don't generally get worked up over dialects or 'strange new terms' for things... but I must admit this one makes me want to punch someone when I hear it on the news. Went missing? I went to the store. I went to bed. I went outside. Where the hell is missing? Is that a place you go? Is that the same place your socks go when you can't find them in the drier?

Makes about as much sense as the double negative ir-regard-less. Just use this: regardful. It sounds just about as silly. So--I'm regardful of your opinion, but I'm still not going to use the quasi-word irregardless. That's right, Antinondisirregardless of what you think, pal!

Oh well.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-30-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 07:11 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Paradoxically, just as formal English seems poised to become the universal language of humankind, the Americans are on the brink of abandoning it. We will be non-compliant in both language and weights and measures.
Yes, and I shudder to think of what that language might become in light of the abomination that we use for a measurement system...

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
All languages evolve.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Language is changing, it does throughout time. Nothing wrong with just changes. However, it doesn't mean you have to be speaking in the slang in the office. You speak or write the most formal and proper when in business, no matter what it might be at the time...if you talk slang at work don't expect to stay long. Different language for different arenas.

I know I have seen applicants that have opened their mouths and got themselves disqualified using either terrible English or (once) offensive swearing.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
People keep saying 'language changes', but part of the problem is sporscasters who are hired without regard to their ability to speak well. So many stupid sportsfans (males) learn how to speak by watching ESPN. They end up copying and validating the common errors that are constantly repeated, like:
Jason Kidd can't miss anything; he's unconscious!

The Suns need to trade for a player like a Kobe Bryant.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,626 times
When I was in high school in the 80's some kids (usually low income kids) would address the teachers as "Miss". Not Mrs. Jones, but "Miss". That was really tacky. I never knew why they thought it was cool.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
There has always been slang used in our language, but it does seem out of bounds today. There is a LOT of that 'hip hop' speak in almost ALL young peoples speech today. Yo, dawg, wat da 411 etc. Lol, and I thought that use of the word 'dude' was bad. To my upbringing a 'dude' was a non riding, non shootin' dandy from back east. Thus the term "Dude Ranch' that caters to city folks that want to learn about horses and ranch life. I guess I'm a paleontological piece of work as far as language. My teachers from my school years (most of them are long gone) would be apalled at the language young folks use today. LMAO, we used to get scathing reprimands for using 'ain't'. Now , ain't that sumpin........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates