Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what people think of jobs that are Union. Are they better? What are the advantages or disadvantages of being Union.

What do you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM

314 posts, read 935,804 times
I know at my last job we had no union and got treated like crap but after we voted to have a union it got much better. It was a new company in ca but the main headquarters were in Texas and the they were violating all kinds of state laws. I ran into a former employee of the company recently and they said the plant manager had gotten fired. I guess he was costing the company too much money. There were even instances when they were putting productivity above employees safety and even had a couple of law suits that they settled.

Last edited by whydoucare?; 07-03-2009 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: left something out

Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
It depends. Many years ago the coal companies in WPA paid close to union scale so the UMW wouldn't come in and organize, so that was a benefit for the non-union workers. On the other hand the UMW seemed to always be on strike so those guys suffered. I worked then in a union manufacturing job and so there were work rules, job bidding procedures, etc. which were a benefit. I now belong to the Teacher's Association (in MD in can't be called a union) solely for the liability insurance and legal representation provided. Our local Association is pretty lame, most of the officers move into system HQ once their term of office is up, so it does make one wonder. It's been known to turn down contract offers and then settle for less later.
If the non-union company has good employee work rules and discipline procedures non-union probably is just as good.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The chief issue I have with unions, is that I believe a person ought to have a right to work, without regard to whether he is in a union or not. In some states they are, and in some states they are not.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The chief issue I have with unions, is that I believe a person ought to have a right to work, without regard to whether he is in a union or not. In some states they are, and in some states they are not.
Yes, it's a tough one alright, do you want a say in your work life? Our freedom here in the US, ends at the door of business, it's their ball, you don't like it? Go home. Calling that a choice is displaying a lack of understanding the worker mentality, fear, is always part and parcel of the workers perception of fair play, he/she knows the boss favors a non union shop and so they get on the boss's side to please.

For the record....Nobody is compelled to pay dues to the unions, if it violates their notion of fairness they may pay an "agency" fee to an organization of their choice. Of course the Unions must still provide representation for these folk's. Unions are not a bad deal for workers, considering the era when you had no, "right", not to work.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:41 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Unions are a fraud. I worked for a healthcare union for awhile and thought they were looking out for me. Then a contract came due. The hospital offered 3% a year for three years. The union said no way we're holding out. So after a month of picketting, marching all sorts of other ra-ra BS we settled for what the hospital offered to begin with. Then about a month later the union comes out and says "since we fought so hard for your raises we need to raise your union dues". Guess how much, THREE PERCENT!!!! So the "raise" that the hospital was going to give us anyway went straight into the unions pocket, for what? Nothing. Unions protect the lazy and stupid. Period. Since I've stopped working for unions my pay has gone up and I don't have to pay some shmo to lie to me. They also pressure you into voting for people. I was told by my union rep that I HAD to vote for Gore or I'd lose my job.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Unions are a fraud. I worked for a healthcare union for awhile and thought they were looking out for me. Then a contract came due. The hospital offered 3% a year for three years. The union said no way we're holding out. So after a month of picketting, marching all sorts of other ra-ra BS we settled for what the hospital offered to begin with. Then about a month later the union comes out and says "since we fought so hard for your raises we need to raise your union dues". Guess how much, THREE PERCENT!!!! So the "raise" that the hospital was going to give us anyway went straight into the unions pocket, for what? Nothing. Unions protect the lazy and stupid. Period. Since I've stopped working for unions my pay has gone up and I don't have to pay some shmo to lie to me. They also pressure you into voting for people. I was told by my union rep that I HAD to vote for Gore or I'd lose my job.
This often happens when the members are not very actively involved in the day to day operation of the union. Unions are no better than the members insist that it be. Graft and corruption always go hand in hand with anything that is not watched closely by the owners (members) plus only the bums and thieves in the membership will run for union offices when all other members are "to busy" to run.

As to union or not just remember it's better to have the legal protection of a union than to be an "employee at will" any day.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM

All you need to know about unions can be found by googling "rubber rooms" and "NYC" you find alot of very unsavory items. The insane wasting of taxpayer dollars.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Thankfully, I am working in a Union workplace. It has been the only job in the last few years that did not discriminate for age and/or over-qualification, and gives great benefits. Somebody can NOT let you go or drastically cut your hours at whim just because they'd rather have a 20 year old with nose piercings working for them and sucking up to them.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM

In NYS even if you don't have a union you can't just be fired for nothing like the union people tell you. There are labor laws, do your job and 90% of the time you're in the clear. And don't let them tell you, you won't be laid off because you will. I've seen it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates