Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You might wish to go back and read the OP again. It looked to me like it was about extracting money from the citizenry to pay for the collective costs of government and social policy. And my example was not only direct to the point, but the most dramatic event in our nation's history that was to that point.

And, yes, automobiles are property too, and in some states (like Kansas) they are taxed as such.

Furthermore, I agree with you that sales tax is fairer than income tax. Tax people on what they consume, not what they produce.
I have read it, thank you though. All I am saying is you find a way to turn many threads into rants against Iraq. In the context of this thread, that is off topic. Just my opinion. Obviously you will disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
The topic is property tax, not income tax, which does fund our war efforts, or sales tax which doesn't.

None are IMO justifiable in the degree that they are levied. Sales tax is perhaps the least repugnant but its still a penalty for being able to buy things. Penalizing just because you can is simply wrong. Taxation based on individuals cost to society is the only fair way to do it.
A family of 4 costs X ammount, whether you are on the street corner or in a Hollywood high rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates