Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times

Advertisements

No, I don't give them money. Most people who panhandle do it for drugs, and I'm not into enabling anyone's drug habit. I donate to charities that supply food pantries, soup kitchens and job training. The real poor usually go to them anyway- they don't stand on a corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
it seems we don't know what to make of these folk's who can't fit the expectant requirements of employment, decent behavior, etc. The fact of this growth is enough to make some people question what the hell is really going on in America.
Some people really can't, what do you do with them?

I know several like that, not on drugs or truly mentally ill, but their people and work skills are all negative...and they don't care. One stays at a job for a few weeks, then starts an arugement with his boss and usually assaults them. Another goes into interviews and during it tells them how completely stupid they are and they only way to do it right is to hire her, usually going on to calling the people there offensive things. Another was a car salesman for awhile, then everywhere he was hired he would wreck the cars they gave him to drive till they fired him. Point out their problems and they won't change, they just have a tantrum.

It's their own choice to not open their eyes and change, and if they never see it they will end up on the streets with no one to blame but themselves.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:58 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
When we see people who seem to be an ill fit for living in society we should ask why. Why can't they fit in? Why do they not want to work? Why are they this way? It should be obvious that only a very small segment of the populace acts in this manner, Why? When we dismiss these apparent ner-do-wells we also fail to give their plight the full consideration thinking folk's are supposed to be capable of.

It isn't very thoughtfull nor worthy of a truly great debate, to wave these souls off with a lecture on responsibilty, or the fact that many are them are recalcitrant druggies, why? it's in the asking that we truly demonstrate the ability to dissect the information at hand and sort it in such a way to advance the notion that we are in posession of something "they" don't have, and lastly, to ask why.

Digging deep is part of the learning process, these forums shouldn't slide into mediocraty, it's a debate, not a whipping post.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to share your story to explain your point further. That said, it made it real hard for me to get past the assumptions you made about my life, presuming to know where I come from.

Woah! That was not my intention. I actually thought it was witty. Luckily, I have not quit my day job. It was not a you-you but a general you. So, in the morning I will try to redo it again.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
it seems we don't know what to make of these folk's who can't fit the expectant requirements of employment, decent behavior, etc. The fact of this growth is enough to make some people question what the hell is really going on in America.
THIS is what makes you wonder what the hell is going in
America? Where have you been?

Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
When we see people who seem to be an ill fit for living in society we should ask why. Why can't they fit in? Why do they not want to work? Why are they this way? It should be obvious that only a very small segment of the populace acts in this manner, Why? When we dismiss these apparent ner-do-wells we also fail to give their plight the full consideration thinking folk's are supposed to be capable of.

It isn't very thoughtfull nor worthy of a truly great debate, to wave these souls off with a lecture on responsibilty, or the fact that many are them are recalcitrant druggies, why? it's in the asking that we truly demonstrate the ability to dissect the information at hand and sort it in such a way to advance the notion that we are in posession of something "they" don't have, and lastly, to ask why.

Digging deep is part of the learning process, these forums shouldn't slide into mediocraty, it's a debate, not a whipping post.
You haven't dealt with many (any?) panhandlers and transients, have you?

If you had, you'd know the answer to all these points you raise.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
I consider panhandling a job. They are out there everyday, for at least 8 hours. They are selling 'compassion'. The people who give them money want to feel compassionate. They give them money and feel happy that they helped someone less fortunate than themselves. It's the same principle behind going to a fancy charity event. You eat cr@ppy food, so it's not like you're spending thousands for the meal! It's to feel 'compassionate'.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 AM

481 posts, read 943,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
[/u]

Woah! That was not my intention. I actually thought it was witty. Luckily, I have not quit my day job. It was not a you-you but a general you. So, in the morning I will try to redo it again.
Ah ha, you know I can see now that the you was a general you. No worries, I get what you were tryign to say. My bad

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM

304 posts, read 904,469 times
That scares me to think you are approached while washing your car for a handout. Your keys, purse and cell phone are probably sitting in your unlocked car and it would be easy for someone to jump in and drive off. I would drive thru an automated carwash or wash the car at home if that's the case.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I consider panhandling a job. They are out there everyday, for at least 8 hours. They are selling 'compassion'. The people who give them money want to feel compassionate. '.
I feel the same way about Nigerian internet scammers. Making a living in Nigeria must be pretty hard, and these are working stiffs doing a job, the same as the rest of us. What they are doing is not illegal (in Nigeria), and in my opinion, is no more immoral than telemarketing time-shares or selling Oxyclean on late-night TV n the USA. The entire global economy is based on the principle that there's one born every minute. Which is why that hutch has an actual retail value of $895. Come on down, we're waiting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates