Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM

60 posts, read 92,070 times

Advertisements

Well this is the same thing when it comes to religious and political views. When people do not adhere with a 'norm' in any way people tend to look at what's different as inferior. Though the issue of race is still somewhat of a different issues than the former two I've mentioned the mindset to create arrogance, ignorance and excuses are all the same. I also feel all races can contribute to practicing racism as well.

This is a very complicated issue with so many variables that I can't give you a more detailed response in a single posting. In short the answer like I've said above is arrogance and ignorance.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Racism is indeed a behavior that is taught. No one is "born" a racist. It happens because parents teach it. It happens when people fail to see the individual in a person, rather than the group.

As for the prejudice against the poor, I wouldn't argue with that too much. There has been a disdain for the poor for ages. However, one must know how race works within a class system.
I disagree. Not all racism is taught. What about areas in the world where the native people are of one race and culture? There are certain places in the world where the local people are unfamiliar with outsiders. If these natives have brown or yellow skin tones, when they see white people for the first time, they think them pale and unsightly. And when they see black people for the first time, they seem dark and dirty to them. And their first instincts tell them to be cautious around these outsiders. And most likely, their culture and traditions are completely different, which leads to more suspicion. And they certainly don't want to intermingle their genetic material with people who are so different from they are.

When I visited Newfoundland, I was told the story of how there was a shipwreck off their coast in the 1930's (I think). The local people rescued those floundering in the surf. Among the rescued sailors were a few black men. The locals had never seen a black person before. And when they were washing them, they scrubbed these men quite hard thinking that their dark skin was due to being very dirty and stained.

But anyway, one also shouldn't confuse a person's preference to date certain races and not others as being racist. Sometimes, one can find all races equal as human beings, but only find some of them appealing as romantically or sexual partners.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I disagree. Not all racism is taught. What about areas in the world where the native people are of one race and culture? There are certain places in the world where the local people are unfamiliar with outsiders. If these natives have brown or yellow skin tones, when they see white people for the first time, they think them pale and unsightly. And when they see black people for the first time, they seem dark and dirty to them. And their first instincts tell them to be cautious around these outsiders. And most likely, their culture and traditions are completely different, which leads to more suspicion. And they certainly don't want to intermingle their genetic material with people who are so different from they are.

When I visited Newfoundland, I was told the story of how there was a shipwreck off their coast in the 1930's (I think). The local people rescued those floundering in the surf. Among the rescued sailors were a few black men. The locals had never seen a black person before. And when they were washing them, they scrubbed these men quite hard thinking that their dark skin was due to being very dirty and stained.

But anyway, one also shouldn't confuse a person's preference to date certain races and not others as being racist. Sometimes, one can find all races equal as human beings, but only find some of them appealing as romantically or sexual partners.
Well, no one is born racist. It's a learned behavior. And furthermore, it can be learned through ignorance, as in the case of the sailors in Newfoundland.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Well, no one is born racist. It's a learned behavior. And furthermore, it can be learned through ignorance, as in the case of the sailors in Newfoundland.
No. I believe that it's human nature and natural to be more comfortable and trust in others that look similar to yourself and family. People that look markedly different are naturally viewed with great suspicion and dislike. And secondly, ones comfort level is influenced by factors of similar cultural and spiritual values.

In Africa, where the native people are tribal by culture and history, their first allegiance is to others of their same family and tribe. They are racist against those of opposing and warring tribes and will even commit genocide to wipe out the enemy tribes... and with the enemy tribes having the same skin colour of black.

And even in Africa, there is a prejudice and dislike for those that are darker skinned blacks, and skin lightening cremes are popular cosmetic products. And in India and other Asian countries, there is the same prejudice against those of the same race having darker skin tones. This is not taught. It's just seems to an aesthetic preference that crosses many races and cultures. And the Chinese and Japanese have felt this way for hundreds and even thousands of years before seeing their first white skinned Westerner.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And even in Africa, there is a prejudice and dislike for those that are darker skinned blacks, and skin lightening cremes are popular cosmetic products. And in India and other Asian countries, there is the same prejudice against those of the same race having darker skin tones. This is not taught. It's just seems to an aesthetic preference that crosses many races and cultures. And the Chinese and Japanese have felt this way for hundreds and even thousands of years before seeing their first white skinned Westerner.
Regarding the light skin preference in many cultures, the usual explanation is that darker skin (within a a race) is culturally associated with those who work outside, labouring in the fields versus those who are of high status/wealthy enough to not have to and can stay in leisure out of the sun, indoors.

It was a trend only recently reversed even for light skinned white Americans (where light skin preference switched over to tanning when now it became associated with leisurely vacations, rather than office work).

Though another aspect is that lighter skin is associated with women (because on average, a woman of the same race is actually somewhat lighter than a man of the same race; this survives through phrases like "fair lady" or "tall, dark and handsome" although variation between both genders of many races has led this to be less noticeable now in multi-racial societies like the US).

That said, cultural pressure plays a big role that should not be underestimated (otherwise the tanning craze for those with light skin, which would be perplexing to European peasants of the past, couldn't have happened).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
I think there's racism because what we call 'civilization' is not (and has never been) anything more than a thin veneer. Just below the surface is all the hatred, fear, superstition and outright panic anyone can handle--and then some.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?

Ignorance!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think there's racism because what we call 'civilization' is not (and has never been) anything more than a thin veneer. Just below the surface is all the hatred, fear, superstition and outright panic anyone can handle--and then some.
This sounds like a good explanation. Alot of people hide their hatred and do horrible things in the name of "civilization".

Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Ignorance!
Not just ignorance, but a failure to take people as individuals instead of "the group".

Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
I always find it amazing and amusing that it is okay for White people to tan themselves a deep brown; but if one is born deep brown it is undesirable. It is funny and pathetic at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates