Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Instead of the current system what if there was a "forced savings" for the eventual reality most of us might be unemployed for some time in our lives?

Yeah, that's called having the brains and discipline to save rainy day money yourself. What is everyone so freakin' helpless?
Haven't you even seen a child who realized they just made a very stupid mistake, or by their bad decisions (say not studying) made things so much worse for themselves? The first thing start crying and point at some one else.

This is because if they sat down and looked at the situation and came to realization it was their own fault, they would feel bad and have to change something in their life. If they blame some one else they can continue in their little rut and everything stays comfortable and normal. If it's their responsibility they have to take blame for failures, if it's not they can point to an external party and get sympathy for how that entity failed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

Why don't people just save? It's not that hard to take money and put it in savings accounts, even just automatic savings accounts. It's there in case you need it, and it's yours in case you don't...you can use it however you please and keep the interest. If they would take more out of your paycheck anyways to cover it, better that I have control over it then them.
The younger you are the less you were taught about the importance of saving. At my age (30's), we've been bombarded since birth with advertisements and have been manipulated into becoming the ultimate consumers who are never satisfied with what they have. And the government does everything it can to get people to spend. The recent increase in saving rates is even seen as "bad" for the economy. Of course, the reality is that it's a very flawed system that is ultimately counterproductive.

I can't blame people too much for not saving and overextending themselves because the establishment is built to encourage that type of behavior. That is why it's so hard for everyone to save. Spending is now part of the culture.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And the government does everything it can to get people to spend. Spending is now part of the culture.
Yep.

And you know why the government wants you to spend (and make) as much as possible? Of course you do. We all do if we open our eyes. We are Wealth Generation Devices. And we are defective if our knob isn't set on full speed ahead.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That's ridiculous and you know it.

People work producing products that other people BUY, thus providing an income for the person who is producing the products. It's give and take, the dude "making the lightbulbs" isn't doing it for society, he's doing it for himself.
Exactly my point. Screw society, I'm in this for whatever I can grab for myself. And then squeal like a pig if I have to pay taxes on what I grab. Welcome to America. The Ostrogoths and the Visigoths had a more enlightened society than that.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep.

And you know why the government wants you to spend (and make) as much as possible? Of course you do. We all do if we open our eyes. We are Wealth Generation Devices. And we are defective if our knob isn't set on full speed ahead.

Damnit... You deserve a rep Chris but it won't let me give you one. I couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The younger you are the less you were taught about the importance of saving. At my age (30's), we've been bombarded since birth with advertisements and have been manipulated into becoming the ultimate consumers who are never satisfied with what they have. And the government does everything it can to get people to spend. The recent increase in saving rates is even seen as "bad" for the economy. Of course, the reality is that it's a very flawed system that is ultimately counterproductive.

I can't blame people too much for not saving and overextending themselves because the establishment is built to encourage that type of behavior. That is why it's so hard for everyone to save. Spending is now part of the culture.
What!? I turned 30 in May, I know better...heck I saved 40% of my income last year.

It's just irresponsibility to say advertisements overpower free will, you might as well give up deciding anything then. No one then has any responsibility for any decisions, any actions, any behavior. I consider it part of life to learn from others mistakes, research the best course when I am presented with a choice, and do what's best no matter what those are doing around me. That is my responsibility as a human being.

In that thought I must be the "rebel" just because I can save money, which makes me chuckle.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Exactly my point. Screw society, I'm in this for whatever I can grab for myself. And then squeal like a pig if I have to pay taxes on what I grab. Welcome to America. The Ostrogoths and the Visigoths had a more enlightened society than that.

I'm sorry...it's ridiculous and selfish and unenlightened to expect grown adults to take responsibility for themselves and plan for their own futures?

I'm guessing you're a card carrying liberal...

(No one said we shouldn't help out the downtrodden. But saying it's some crazy extreme selfish idea that people should open savings accounts for emergencies is nuts.)

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sorry...it's ridiculous and selfish and unenlightened to expect grown adults to take responsibility for themselves and plan for their own futures?

I'm guessing you're a card carrying liberal...

(No one said we shouldn't help out the downtrodden. But saying it's some crazy extreme selfish idea that people should open savings accounts for emergencies is nuts.)
See if you can guess why single moms with retail counter jobs and unreliable old cars to drive their kids to day care don't open savings accounts. Of course. She's nuts. And ridiculous. And selfish. And unenlightened.

Liberal's dont carry cards. Conservatives do, with dittohead talking pointa printed on them, so they know what to say in a debate.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The fundamental concept of a society at large is that the society advances in prosperity, through the collective efforts of the society, and each individual's well-being is enhanced accordingly. If a well is dug through community effort, every member of the community is entitled to take the water he needs, without regard to what part he played in the digging. And nobody is entitled to exert personal control over the well, no matter how important he may have been in the creation of the resource.

We have drifted quite far from this viewpoint. Individuals look at society now as a resource they can exploit, rather than a collective that prospers for the good of all.
There is actually a community here in the US that practices EXACTLY that philosophy. I watched a nice documentary on them and they would occasionally get some lazy drug addict come in and expect free meals while doing no work while the rest of them did the cooking, cleaning, planting, harvesting etc. They would kick those people out.

While I appreciate your attitude and truly, if everyone thought like you it would work just fine, problem is that there are enough jerks out there that make such systems....ESPECIALLY those that get to be of any size unworkable.

A blended system of reward and societal safety has generally worked well in those countries. It isn't perfect but it's practical.

Life isn't fair but sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease. I'm surprised this is even being postulated given the litany of utter failures of this type of system.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
What!? I turned 30 in May, I know better...heck I saved 40% of my income last year.

It's just irresponsibility to say advertisements overpower free will, you might as well give up deciding anything then. No one then has any responsibility for any decisions, any actions, any behavior. I consider it part of life to learn from others mistakes, research the best course when I am presented with a choice, and do what's best no matter what those are doing around me. That is my responsibility as a human being.

In that thought I must be the "rebel" just because I can save money, which makes me chuckle.
I'm glad you are so special and never make mistakes. But if someone gives you the wrong directions and you don't get to where you are supposed to to go is it your fault or the guy who gave you the directions? It's the same thing with all the influences of the world turned to getting people to spend like mad.

Unfortunately young people are often gullible and easily taken advantage of. They hold some responsiblity of course and certainly pay the price for poor decisions, but the greater sin is on the people hoodwinking them on purpose to profit from it. Being at least a little empathetic is MY responsiblity as a human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates