Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times

Advertisements

Yes, they need to be banned. I'm tired of walking by minding my own business and start heaving suddenly b/c I get a whiff of smoke from a cigarette. I'm tired of walking around, minding my own business, and have the smoke float in my direction. I smell just even a bit of it, and my throat feels scratchy and my allergies (runny nose, sneezing, coughing) start.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That depends on where you work. My girl is severely allergic to Febreze - not like most non-smokers who claim to be "allergic" to smoke just because they don't like it. It actually induces an asthmatic attack and her throat closes up. That didn't stop people from spraying it around her office, though, despite her complaints to management, who didn't care.

You see, she was the only person in the office that smoked, and when she'd come back in from a break, one of her coworkers (a rabid anti-smoker) would whine about the smell and start spraying Febreze around, knowing her allergy to it. She had to go home early several times because of this a-hole idiot, and management couldn't care less because they're also anti-smokers.

Anti-smokers love to claim that smokers are "killing" them with passive smoke. Well, here's a case where the anti-smokers almost did literally and directly kill my girlfriend.

I'm sure you'll find a way to defend them, though. After all, this is a smoking thread and they're on your side...
Sorry to hear that, but something about this story sounds fishy. I have never heard of management being careless in a life and death situation like this. Have the managers been sued?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Sorry to hear that, but something about this story sounds fishy. I have never heard of management being careless in a life and death situation like this. Have the managers been sued?
Of course. I must be lying.

I'm getting sick of that position. Every time (it's always a smoking thread, btw) I say something that somebody on the other side of the debate has a hard time believing, I must be lying. It's not possible that my doctor actually prescribed two cigarettes a day to a patient. It's not possible that nicotine has therapeutic uses. It's not possible that rabid anti-smoking managers were unwilling to reprimand a rabid anti-smoking worker for spraying an air freshener.

And no, she didn't sue, despite my urging her to do so. I can't blame her, really. It's a niche industry and word would have spread, making it quite difficult to find another job when they fired her. No company wants to hire an employee that's sue-happy.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
The perfume comparison is quite ridiculous. If someone is wearing too much perfume at work, you report them to a supervisor, they are talked to and it is a non-issue. Cigarette smoking is a filthy lower class habit. The percentage of people with tattoos who smoke is probably around 80%. There are exceptions to the rule but it is truly a trash habit.
That's not true. We have talked to management...and were told that there is nothing they can do. In other words, deal with it.

Quote:
...one of her coworkers (a rabid anti-smoker) would whine about the smell and start spraying Febreze around
And this is supposedly a mature adult?!?!

Maybe I should start being childish too...when the perfume gets bad I'll walk around wearing a surgical mask, wave my hand under my nose while loudly announcing "PEW THAT STINKS" to everyone around and then ralph in my trash can when the nausea hits (after taking my mask off of course! ).

Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Yes, they need to be banned. I'm tired of walking by minding my own business and start heaving suddenly b/c I get a whiff of smoke from a cigarette. I'm tired of walking around, minding my own business, and have the smoke float in my direction. I smell just even a bit of it, and my throat feels scratchy and my allergies (runny nose, sneezing, coughing) start.
I'm tired of walking around downtown and retching because some janitor didn't bother showering that morning and worked all day, working up a singular stench.

I am tired of walking around, minding my own business, and having some fat broad close my sinuses because she baths in very cheap perfume.

Just as I am expected to "deal with it", so are you.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Just as I am expected to "deal with it", so are you.
At the end of the day majority rules and I am soo glad I am on this side of the fence. The side of the fence that is NOT addicted to this nasty habit! I finally can walk in a mall, a store, a hotel and not have my eyes water, burn and sting. I can even go to a gawd damned BAR and not have to worry about it too!!! You have no flippin idea how happy I am about this!

But the unfortunate truth is, if I was addicted to this disastrous habit, I would feel the same way as you so I have no issues with you. I just like to voice my opinions on CD forums since I am on this other side of the fence!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
At the end of the day majority rules and I am soo glad I am on this side of the fence. The side of the fence that is NOT addicted to this nasty habit! I finally can walk in a mall, a store, a hotel and not have my eyes water, burn and sting. I can even go to a gawd damned BAR and not have to worry about it too!!! You have no flippin idea how happy I am about this!

But the unfortunate truth is, if I was addicted to this disastrous habit, I would feel the same way as you so I have no issues with you. I just like to voice my opinions on CD forums since I am on this other side of the fence!
And the source for the poll suggesting a majority of Americans are FOR banning smoking/cigarettes?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM

258 posts, read 325,161 times
Quote:
That depends on where you work. My girl is severely allergic to Febreze - not like most non-smokers who claim to be "allergic" to smoke just because they don't like it. It actually induces an asthmatic attack and her throat closes up. That didn't stop people from spraying it around her office, though, despite her complaints to management, who didn't care.

You see, she was the only person in the office that smoked, and when she'd come back in from a break, one of her coworkers (a rabid anti-smoker) would whine about the smell and start spraying Febreze around, knowing her allergy to it. She had to go home early several times because of this a-hole idiot, and management couldn't care less because they're also anti-smokers.

Anti-smokers love to claim that smokers are "killing" them with passive smoke. Well, here's a case where the anti-smokers almost did literally and directly kill my girlfriend.

I'm sure you'll find a way to defend them, though. After all, this is a smoking thread and they're on your side...
No, I am on your side, but one has nothing to do with the other, and the perfume issue should make you see just how annoying the smoking is to non-smokers. I am completely against perfume being worn beyond any level where it can be smelt more than six inches from the person for the same reasons; nobody should have to deal with unnecessary odors that can be offensive. For the same reason people shouldn't bring left over fish and reheat it in the office microwave.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
No, I am on your side, but one has nothing to do with the other, and the perfume issue should make you see just how annoying the smoking is to non-smokers. I am completely against perfume being worn beyond any level where it can be smelt more than six inches from the person for the same reasons; nobody should have to deal with unnecessary odors that can be offensive. For the same reason people shouldn't bring left over fish and reheat it in the office microwave.
And most smokers (in my personal experience, including myself) will make every attempt NOT to be offensive.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:

I do not think what her coworkers are doing is right, as it is downright mean, knowing the Febreze could kill her. With that being said, this is still a real easy problem to solve. I am pretty sure if your girlfriend told everyone she was willing to quit smoking at work, if they in turn would quit spraying Febreze, they more than likely would agree to it. Cigarettes are a drug, and no drugs, including cigarettes or alcohol have any business being done at the workplace. This is the reason she is getting no support from her superiors. Is it really that hard to wait to smoke until she gets home from work? Sometimes I do want to drink at work (like right now LOL), but of course I don't give in and do it. If I can show restraint, there is no reason your girlfriend can't do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates