Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I could care less about your opinion, or this city data poll since it does not represent the whole USA. The fact is the government is attacking smokers way more than alcoholics, in which they should. You are in the minority.
Well then - if you could "care less" about the op opinion, it should suffice to say that I, and many others could "care less" about YOUR opinion.

That is only fair

Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Agreed, you have respect, but these smokers do not. Smokers are even responsible for 4 times the deaths annually that drunk drivers do. They smoke in public and slowly kill innocent victims with no remorse.

What a bunch pure tripe - go cry me a river

Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,339 times
Question A far greater percentage of my fellow employees smoke at my current job

Quote:
I answered the booze question already, 2 out of 3 people drink, while only 1 out of 5 smoke. Smokers are the minority, so the prohibition on cigarettes would actually work.
I am currently working as a telemarketer, and it appears that over half of my colleagues smoke. Why do so many of my fellow employees smoke at my current job?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well then - if you could "care less" about the op opinion, it should suffice to say that I, and many others could "care less" about YOUR opinion.

That is only fair
The fact is smoking in public is being cracked down on everywhere, even here in Vegas. Public drinking is not. Do you you remember what just recently happened here in Vegas?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What a bunch pure tripe - go cry me a river
The truth hurts, doesn't it.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I am currently working as a telemarketer, and it appears that over half of my colleagues smoke. Why do so many of my fellow employees smoke at my current job?
We have a call center in my office building where I work. I kid you not, the facility manager of the building calls the employees there the "dregs of society." In other words, call center employees do not represent the general population.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 AM

252 posts, read 661,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I just knew someone would say what you did. You must smoke!
You can't bear to think there are nonsmokers who would protect an unhealthy habit. I don't smoke. Not even an ex-smoker. My mother smokes. My father smoked two packs a day for half of his life. My room mates smoke (I make them use the balcony, even in winter). I actually have chemical allergies and some cigarette brands' smoke and ashes set off those allergies (but i'm not "allergic to cigarettes" because only some brands do it!). They respect my allergies by not smoking around me, and I'm not a fool that throws herself into smoky areas. My lungs are lusciously pink, as my surgery records have noted. Am I lucky or is this because both sides are responsible? You decide. However, I claim responsibility. If their habit is not hurting me because they are respectful of where they do it, why should I demonize them as though they are murderers?

Here is another crazy concept for you: I am not against others' having the right to smoke, but I refuse so strongly to put money into that system myself that I personally boycott any company that is owned by Altria Foods, a subsidiary of Phillip Morris. You try not buying Kraft, Nabisco, Post, or Oscar Mayer products. Any money put into those products goes into the same deep pockets of big bad tobacco companies.

Quote:
Of course there are a lot of other things out there that can and will hurt me! I drive a Twin Turbo car and I am sure the exhaust it emits is not good for my pink lungs! I am sure it is pretty bad if I had to breath it in all the time! Atleast my car is doing something productive!
I could argue that if you really cared, instead of getting a twin turbo, you would go for a "green" car or at least a non-turbo. Turbos are reknown for turning tiny cars into gas-guzzlers, which means more exhaust for everyone to breathe. But that's for another argument.

Quote:
It just amazes me how people love to go tit for tat with this. "Well you eat fast food, you drive a car, you do this you do that..." There is just not comparison and justification to doing this habit. It is the World's #1 preventable disease and it affects everyone even more so than alcohol.
Actually, (unlike 2nd and 3rd hand smoke) clinical studies have been done on the effects of high-fructose corn syrups on a person's body. It triggers much higher doses of insulin, wearing out the pancreas early in life (hello diabetes, another top killer!!!), causes the body to store fat more willingly, and the body develops a physical addiction to the highs and lows caused by the super-doses of simple sugars. Try not to eat ANY sugar for 3 days and you'll feel what it feels like to have nicotine cravings. I did it and my family thought it was a riot as I paced the house irritably. Many European countries have banned the industrial use and sale of corn syrup because its so unhealthy. America hasn't because its incredibly cheap to use, but look at your foods' ingredient listings. Its in everything from salad dressings to bread to frozen beef patties. You want to talk about unhealthy habits being forced on a person? I'll make a new thread about corn syrup.

Quote:
I could drink a glass or two of wine EVERY SINGLE DAY with my dinner and how is that the same as smoking several cigarettes or more every single day like an dope feign? Which is worse? You do the research and get back to me!!!
It has been found to be healthy to have *a* glass of wine a day. However, the same benefit was found from, well, eating grapes. The alcohol does nothing for you. Sadly, no studies have been shown on whether or not smoking a single cigarette a day would be good for you or not. No recent studies have been done, but doctors 70 years ago said that smoking helped clear phlegm from the respiratory system. That was before people smoked multiple chemical-soaked cigarettes a day. If pure tobacco smoke was found healthy in very small doses, would you take it up?

Also, El Amigo, it was a blatant fallacy. I knew it was a blatant fallacy. I did it on purpose for a simple point: if you're going to obsess about possibly dying in a certain way, why not obsess more about ways that are even more possible?

And NO ONE got the red ryder reference? Come on people! Its the best xmas movie ever!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Agreed, you have respect, but these smokers do not. Smokers are even responsible for 4 times the deaths annually that drunk drivers do. They smoke in public and slowly kill innocent victims with no remorse.
The Facts about second hand smoke - Home

I think you should read this about the FACTS of second hand smoking.

The 1993 EPA warning sent out about second hand smoke has been shown numerous times to have been doctored and changed to get the results that they wanted.

I don't understand how people can hate the government so much, but bite the wormy apple when its something they care about.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Hey swagger, you are the chimp. Why don't you dispute my post instead.
Which one?

And I thought you weren't going to engage me any further in this thread...

Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
The fact is smoking in public is being cracked down on everywhere, even here in Vegas. Public drinking is not.
Going Against the Trend, Nevada Lawmakers Consider Easing the State's Ban on Smoking

"The Nevada Senate voted 16 to 5 on Friday to advance a measure that would soften a statewide smoking ban..."

Quote:
Do you you remember what just recently happened here in Vegas?
You mean when you assaulted another craps player because he was smoking?

Actually, I shouldn't have said "another craps player" because you weren't really playing craps, you were just soaking up free drinks as cheaply as possible. BTW, you should check out the Keno lounge if getting sauced for as little money as possible is your goal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates