Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM

537 posts, read 291,937 times

Advertisements

I was not referring to drinking & driving. I also know that excessive drinking can hurt individuals as well as their families.

Having said that, I was in Europe recently and came back sick from all the second hand smoking because I'm asthmatic. Anyone can drink a martini next to me and I won't make me sick.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Why is there even a discussion on this topic? There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, favorable or beneficial about cigarette smoking. My wife and I live in St. Louis, the most smoker-friendly city in the U.S. (we're always a bit behind the times here), and as active runner and athletes, we find cigarette smoke and the people that produce it absolutely repulsive. Not to mention the mountains of non-biodegradable butts accumulating at the end of expressway off-ramps. I am the only non-smoker in my office and, consequently, am the only one that never gets sick and has to call in.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 PM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Why is there even a discussion on this topic? There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, favorable or beneficial about cigarette smoking. My wife and I live in St. Louis, the most smoker-friendly city in the U.S. (we're always a bit behind the times here), and as active runner and athletes, we find cigarette smoke and the people that produce it absolutely repulsive. Not to mention the mountains of non-biodegradable butts accumulating at the end of expressway off-ramps. I am the only non-smoker in my office and, consequently, am the only one that never gets sick and has to call in.
The only thing more repulsive than cigarette smoke are legislators that want to summarily pass laws that further reduce the freedoms of people. I say this as a veteran who fought for my freedom and I say this even though I am NOT a cigarette smoker. By the way, why are you jogging on expressway ramps??? My guess is that some legislator has passed a law against this too.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
The only thing more repulsive than cigarette smoke are legislators that want to summarily pass laws that further reduce the freedoms of people. I say this as a veteran who fought for my freedom and I say this even though I am NOT a cigarette smoker. By the way, why are you jogging on expressway ramps??? My guess is that some legislator has passed a law against this too.
You also have probably not had to live with or see a loved one heavily addicted to this useless and self destructive drug. Believe you me, having this banned would not be missed. Go to a smoking cessation clinic or medical oncology ward sometime.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I love smoking a fine Cubano - does that count?

How about smoking a Pipe?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
I was not referring to drinking & driving. I also know that excessive drinking can hurt individuals as well as their families.

Having said that, I was in Europe recently and came back sick from all the second hand smoking because I'm asthmatic. Anyone can drink a martini next to me and I won't make me sick.
There you go right there, if there were any remotely real societal benefit from banning smoking Europe would have done it by now. They generally lead the way in restricting individuals for the greater good.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:
I am the only non-smoker in my office and, consequently, am the only one that never gets sick and has to call in.
Last time I (a smoker) called off work was over a year ago...and that was because my car wouldn't start. Now the young girl (non-smoker) who sits next to me has called off or left work early at least once a week since she's was hired about 4 months ago.

And someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about people hacking in the cubicle next to them...I can't speak for everyone but MY hacking (and wheezing and dizzy spells and headaches and double vision and nausea) starts when the "Perfume Brigade" comes in.

There are a lot of us out there that WILL have respect for you...if you respect us. I'm won't smoke in YOUR house or YOUR car but will in my own.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
I tried to rep ya on the pic, Swagger. The results of second-hand drinking certainly can be disasterous...

Last edited by annika08; 08-06-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Of course cigarettes are bad. Of course they're stinky and many smokers themselves are stinky, unpleasant people. I am also the only non-smoker where I work. I also can't stand my co-workers leaving their butts everywhere outside-I think it's gross and disrespectful (when I used to smoke I would throw mine away). Of course cigarettes have no useful benefit to society (okay, other than the benefits to the economy; they are a major cashflow to what, the Carolinas and Kentucky? Also a large employment sector then for a lot of people there).

But it's not about the cigarettes-it's the bigger picture. The OP is suggesting that since cigarettes are 'bad and stinky' they should be regulated and outlawed (even though they are legal). This could suggest a dangerous slope of a nanny government regulating all sorts of 'risky' behavior in order to 'better' it's citizens. Do you think it would stop with cigarettes?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post

There are a lot of us out there that WILL have respect for you...if you respect us. I'm won't smoke in YOUR house or YOUR car but will in my own.

And what do you do with the non-biodegradable butts when you've completed your long trip to cancer, emphysema and other fun stuff? If you keep them in your car or home, great. If not, you're not environmentally responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates