Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Give me a break. Let's just ban sugar, red meat, salt and stress while we're at it too. They're all just as dangerous to health.

Or we can just stay out of other people's business and say "do what you want in your own home, just don't bother me with it".

After all, there's plenty of things that you do that bother me, like your drinking. It's funny how someone who drinks could be saying that cigarettes should be banned. You are truly a hypocrite. I find drunks to be a lot more offensive than smelly smokers. Drunks thinking they can drive. Drunks thinking they can fight. Drunks thinking they can talk to women. Drunks thinking they can dance. Sorry, but we don't need to ban anything else. We already have enough arbitrary bans on things for hypocritical reasons.

LET'S JUST BAN CARS TOO. THEY PRODUCE SECOND-HAND SMOKE TOO...
The thing of it is, yes there are a lot of bad things and we cannot just go banning everything but cave man foods can we? We have to start somewhere and why not at the top with the most self destructive things? ie tobacco! Fast food is not even close to as bad for you than smoking dozens of cancer sticks each and every single day of your life....

Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
The thing of it is, yes there are a lot of bad things and we cannot just go banning everything but cave man foods can we? We have to start somewhere and why not at the top with the most self destructive things? ie tobacco! Fast food is not even close to as bad for you than smoking dozens of cancer sticks each and every single day of your life....

Why do we "Have to start somewhere?" Why start on the road directly away from everything the country stood for? Leave if you dont find freedom to your liking. Go to Singapore, they ban bubblegum, I'm pretty sure they ban alot of other things too. You cannot have it both ways so instead of bringing us back into the dark ages go someplace thats never got past them.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 AM

218 posts, read 799,236 times
This thread has been absurdly amusing. In response to the origial question, no I don't support banning cigarettes. I also don't support banning smoking in all public places. I could live with public buildings but private establishments should be given the choice on how to run their business. We allow places to decide if they will allow other legal activites, why should smoking not be among them? If you don't want to eat at a place that allows smoking you are free to go elsewhere. If you don't want to work in a smoking environment, you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

Honestly, I'd rather be around people smoking in public than those drinking in public. "Liquid courage" dulls the senses and common sense is usually the hardest hit. Smokers may not smell as nice but drunks stink too and are stupid to boot!

With regards to kids, I think it would be great if parents didn't smoke around their children, I also think it would be great if they didn't raise them to be Republicans Every parent I know has a different idea of how children should be raised and we allow them the freedom to make those choices. Lots of people raise their kids in environments I personally think are harmful but are perfectly legal. Is there the potential for harm from second hand smoke? I believe there is. But what about the harm from a poor diet? Or lack of exercise? That has a larger impact than smoking on a child's health but people don't talk about making happy meals illegal and requiring family gym memberships. The lungs will regenerate in time, diabetes doesn't go away.

For those struggling to quit, there are many programs out there and I strongly suggest you try using one. If the program you choose doesn't work, try another. Most people don't succeed their first attempt so prepare yourself for the idea that this is going to be a long and difficult process! Aside from that, please don't ask me to do for you what you are unable to do yourself. Quitting smoking is just one more in a long list of things that are not easy to do in life! It's not up to the rest of society to help you accomplish your personal goal of becoming a non-smoker. You put yourself in this position and if you want things to change it's up to you, not society, to change your situation.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You could have just said that you were making an assumption, since that would have been the appropriate answer to the question asked...

Regardless, it's been established that you're working off an assumption.
Your "assumption" is my statistical fact. I've worked with stuff like this for decades, it pays my bills. You'd be shocked at what types of "assumptions" I can make about all the guys buying their first motorcycle in 2009.

With so many old people coming into the place, enough to warrant and oxygen tank exchange and knowing the primary causes of lung problems in older people requiring such a treatment it's not an assumption as to what caused most of it. No, the answer is not global warming.

No different than if you read in the paper that 1000 people died in Texas from auto accidents in the year that you can state with certainty that many if not the majority of those accidents involved drugs\alchohol.

Now if I see one guy sitting there I wouldn't assume he was on oxygen due to smoking....could be he is just faking it to get good parking.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
Is there the potential for harm from second hand smoke? I believe there is. But what about the harm from a poor diet? Or lack of exercise? That has a larger impact than smoking on a child's health but people don't talk about making happy meals illegal and requiring family gym memberships. The lungs will regenerate in time, diabetes doesn't go away.
Actually I think you fail to see the impact SHS has. It can have dire results and even cause lung cancer decades after "lungs heal" They are now finding that some (heavy) smokers who quit 20-30 years ago are developing lung cancer. It is beleved that if they did not quit they would of developed it sooner or other medical issues. I'm sorry, I and a lot of other non smokers do not want to take the chance on getting lung cancer because a minority of people choose to destroy their own lungs and greatly increase their chances of cancer.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
I call BS on that. You'd die a lot faster eating McDonalds all day than smoking all day. Looking around this country, Obesity and Obesity-related issues are the main causes of health issues.

Plus, where do you stop? Your method of "getting rid of the most evil" isn't any different than the moronic idea of Alcohol Prohibition. Don't you understand the consequences of prohibition? It leads to organized crime, violence, puts normally law-abiding citizens into situations where they become law-breakers and it destroys the economy by taking clean money and putting it into the black market and giving it to crime lords. Really, you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that a ban on cigarettes would have ANY positive effect on society.

People would still smoke. Just like they still snort blow, shoot heroin and drank alcohol during prohibition. To think that making cigarettes illegal will suddenly just cause the country to give them up is incredibly foolish. But you're not just asking the people to give up their cigarettes, you're asking tens-of-thousands of people to give up their jobs, an entire state to say goodbye to its tax revenue and a nation to SAY GOODBYE TO ITS FREEDOM.

Honestly, as a veteran of the US Armed Forces, I am appalled by someone like you who would honestly sell out the American dream. Asking Americans to live in a tyrannical society that tells them what they can put in their body is asking us to betray the founding fathers. I am entitled to the rights of life, LIBERTY and property. Liberty is something people like you do not understand. Anyone who would support a bill to ban cigarettes (or something similar) is a traitor to the constitution.

I DON'T SMOKE CIGARETTES. I JUST DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN AN ORWELLIAN STATE.

After Cigarettes, what's next? Cheese? Candy? Seriously, it's not the job of the government to be your mommy.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
next thing we will be hearing is 4th and 5th hand smoke, thats the smoke that travels thru the computers
6th generation smoke travels through the imagination

Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why do we "Have to start somewhere?" Why start on the road directly away from everything the country stood for? Leave if you dont find freedom to your liking. Go to Singapore, they ban bubblegum, I'm pretty sure they ban alot of other things too. You cannot have it both ways so instead of bringing us back into the dark ages go someplace thats never got past them.
Gosh I love a good debate....

We should start with this because it kills 400,000 people a year. Sounds like a valid reason to many. It causes the cancer from 1 in 5 cases. It's the number 1 preventible disease in America. It shortens your life span (if you are lucky) ~15 years. I can go on and on about your precious smokes but I won't...

Gosh it's amazing how "people like you" have such a hard time with freedoms and liberties, but for the rest of us we can care less about this one freedom, because we don't smoke! Really, if this gets banned, why do some of you think this somehow gives the gov't the green light to not stop there? Why would they continue?!!? Tobacco is very bad for you and kills a lot of people! Sugar, coffee, big macs, soda pop do not kill nearly as many combined. It's not like everything else will start to get banned because poor tobacco got the axe first...

But this whole thread is a moot point, as Tobacco will never get banned as long as the cash cow is producing milk.

Though it's funny how the DoD is talking about banning it in the Military... Makes you go Hmmmmm..... .. ...
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/...9391246316533/

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
I am, I like to control weather my lungs are black or pink. I choose to stay pink. The smoker who does not ask weather it is ok to smoke in their car with a passenger is the selfish one and in the wrong, not me.

It's amazing how nicotine in their bloodstream (or plain stupidity on your part since you don't smoke) can make them selfish and not see things the correct way!

Is it fair to expose someone else to a hazard because you don't care for your own health? Just like parents who smoke in the car with their kids. How selfish of them. I hope the whole country makes it illegal to smoke in a car with kids.
ttz, I'm just curious-are you one to walk by someone when they are smoking, no matter how far away they are, and make it a point to start coughing and hacking really really loud?

(No, I'm not a smoker)

Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
I call BS on that. You'd die a lot faster eating McDonalds all day than smoking all day. Looking around this country, Obesity and Obesity-related issues are the main causes of health issues.
Just so you know, I am not sure which would be worse, but I do know this. A pack a day smoker is the same health wise as being roughly 90 lbs overweight. So do the math with a 2-3 pack a day addict.

Quote:
Honestly, as a veteran of the US Armed Forces, I am appalled by someone like you who would honestly sell out the American dream. Asking Americans to live in a tyrannical society that tells them what they can put in their body is asking us to betray the founding fathers. I am entitled to the rights of life, LIBERTY and property. Liberty is something people like you do not understand. Anyone who would support a bill to ban cigarettes (or something similar) is a traitor to the constitution.
Funny as our own military is talking about banning Tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates