Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 02:41 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
uh excuse me, just because a very small minority make it to their 90s does NOT mean this does not kill millions of people and shorten their life! Your friend was the exception not the rule! You ever heard of that saying?
Hey jtur - I think this one's drunk, too.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I had to look up anecdotal evidence on google. I now see you were being sarcastic. I thought you were being serious as I did not know what anecdotal meant.
Quote:
I suggest you first get a GED, because your posts make you look intellectually inept. Then I will talk to you.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nothing's changed - you posted a link to an ad farm at costofsmoking.com, which is registered to "Jeffery Strain" whose email address is "savingadvice@gmail.com". Sorry, but I'm not getting that "this source is credible" feeling. Maybe I'll ask him about how to save money - after all, his e-mail address has "saving advice" in it, so he must know what he's talking about, right?

In the article he published, the author wrote about "a number of studies," but didn't cite a single one. I could write an article about "a number of studies" that prove that the sky has pink polka-dots - does that make it any more believable?

Kudos for trying to back up what you wrote, but you failed miserably. Was that the best you could do? I sincerely hope not.

Tell you what - why don't you scan and post your own policy? Remove any identifying information, of course, but you stated that your own insurance company asked you about this. If you're getting any sort of discount for being a non-smoker, it'll be right there in your policy.
Why don't you post a link as proof about how event security officer's are told to look the other way on pot smokers????? I showed my boss today the post you made, and he told me you are full of sh@$. By the way, my company does event security, I just have a permanent post in an office. I was the stupid one for even believing one word you said. I also know that I have been asked multiple times if I smoke when I have gotten auto insurance. I can post all the links I want, and you will just discredit them, so why bother?

Lowering car insurance premiums.

And before you talk sh$@ on this link, I am from Arizona...

Online Auto Insurance - Arizona

Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Why don't you post a link as proof about how event security officer's are told to look the other way on pot smokers????? I showed my boss today the post you made, and he told me you are full of sh@$.
I'm supposed to post a link to a verbal conversation that took place in the early '90s?

I realize that you'll defend your addiction to the death, but is it so hard to believe that drunks tend to start fights? Even you - in this very thread - admitted to resorting to violence after a day of soaking up booze at a craps table.

Pot smokers, on the other hand, tend to become vegetative. They don't get rowdy or pick fights over nothing. They lay back and watch the world pass by.

Both of these tendencies are so widely accepted that they've become stereotypes that nobody ever questions.

The job of event staff is to ensure that people are enjoying the event safely. They're not law enforcement officers. They're not going to waste resources on attempting an arrest (which could itself create a dangerous situation) of someone who's not putting others at any risk.

Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. It's not only common sense logic, but the conversation actually took place, too ...regardless of what some night watchman or his boss may think.

Quote:
I also know that I have been asked multiple times if I smoke when I have gotten auto insurance. I can post all the links I want, and you will just discredit them, so why bother?

Lowering car insurance premiums.

And before you talk sh$@ on this link, I am from Arizona...

Online Auto Insurance - Arizona
Much better. I was unaware of any such discounts, as I've never been asked by a car insurance company about smoking, nor have I heard about anyone that has. I did a lot of shopping around and got a lot of quotes when I moved from California, too.

I'd love to see a credible study done about the accident rates of smokers vs. non-smokers, or statistics about accidents caused directly by the act of smoking. With all the anti-smoking propaganda circulating, one would think that if there was any meat to that argument, it'd be much more prominent than it is in that propaganda. From what I've seen, it's pretty much non-existent, and if the anti-smokers aren't using it, there's probably not much to it. I think it's pretty likely that some insurance companies just use it as an excuse to charge 20% of their clients more for their premiums.

Edited to add: BTW, I can take a cigarette out of the pack and light it without once ever taking my eyes off the road. It's about as dangerous as adjusting the volume on the stereo. But if you honestly think that it's really that dangerous, then maybe we should start advocating bans on car radios, too. And air conditioners. And sun visors. And anything else a driver might take one hand off the wheel to touch.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm supposed to post a link to a verbal conversation that took place in the early '90s?

I realize that you'll defend your addiction to the death, but is it so hard to believe that drunks tend to start fights? Even you - in this very thread - admitted to resorting to violence after a day of soaking up booze at a craps table.

Pot smokers, on the other hand, tend to become vegetative. They don't get rowdy or pick fights over nothing. They lay back and watch the world pass by.

Both of these tendencies are so widely accepted that they've become stereotypes that nobody ever questions.

The job of event staff is to ensure that people are enjoying the event safely. They're not law enforcement officers. They're not going to waste resources on attempting an arrest (which could itself create a dangerous situation) of someone who's not putting others at any risk.

Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. It's not only common sense logic, but the conversation actually took place, too ...regardless of what some night watchman or his boss may think.

Much better. I was unaware of any such discounts, as I've never been asked by a car insurance company about smoking, nor have I heard about anyone that has. I did a lot of shopping around and got a lot of quotes when I moved from California, too.

I'd love to see a credible study done about the accident rates of smokers vs. non-smokers, or statistics about accidents caused directly by the act of smoking. With all the anti-smoking propaganda circulating, one would think that if there was any meat to that argument, it'd be much more prominent than it is in that propaganda. From what I've seen, it's pretty much non-existent, and if the anti-smokers aren't using it, there's probably not much to it. I think it's pretty likely that some insurance companies just use it as an excuse to charge 20% of their clients more for their premiums.

Edited to add: BTW, I can take a cigarette out of the pack and light it without once ever taking my eyes off the road. It's about as dangerous as adjusting the volume on the stereo. But if you honestly think that it's really that dangerous, then maybe we should start advocating bans on car radios, too. And air conditioners. And sun visors. And anything else a driver might take one hand off the wheel to touch.
OMG, I just looked at your status update. You are making fun of me because I made made one typo where I misspelled one letter in equivalate?? What is wrong with you, are you obsessed with me or something??

Merriam-Webster's Open Dictionary

Definition of equivalate

Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
OMG, I just looked at your status update. You are making fun of me because I made made one typo where I misspelled one letter in equivalate?? What is wrong with you, are you obsessed with me or something??

Merriam-Webster's Open Dictionary

Definition of equivalate
You quote my entire post and then say something completely unrelated?

How about addressing the content of the post...

And no, I'm not obsessed. Just very amused.

Last edited by swagger; 08-02-2009 at 04:32 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This cuts both ways, those that engage in stupid behavior are owed nothing either, yet these smokers are consuming our health care resources at ever increasing rates, then they still die.
I pay my own health INS. The ever increasing rates are not caused by something older than the insurance industry, anybody should be able to see that. Also as noted they will die sooner in most cases & save health costs.
People are owed what they pay for. When we stop providing care free of charge for millions that dont pay or even belong here we can start worrying about other ways to cut costs.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
You guys are arguing about a word that does not exist.

equivalate (verb) : to regard or depict as equal or comparable
"... many among the poor majority aspired to such jobs and did not equivalate their elimination with progress." —Robert E. White for Center for International Policy, ciponline.org, 05/2003
Submitted by: S. Blattler from Wisconsin Aug. 24, 2006 13:25

The definition entry acknowledges that it simply a back-formation meaning to hold something to be equivalent. Back-formations, although their meaning is always clear, are not recognized as words until they pass into common usage. It's like saying "My wife extravagates when she goes to the mall".

Your dictionary entry is from an "open" dictionary, in which any reader can place any word they want. dictionary.com does not list it as existing in any recognized, edited dictionary of the English language.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Yes drinking a lot of alcohol is worse than smoking a few packs of cigs as you can get behind the wheel and kill someone and yourself. BUT drinking in moderation, even like 4-5 drinks a day (please keep in mind I am 6'5" so 5 does not do much to me!) is not as bad as smoking even as few as 5 cigarettes. They even say drinking a few drinks a day is even good for you! Is smoking a few cigs a day good for you? Um NO....

Nicotine Benefits

Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You guys are arguing about a word that does not exist.
No we're not - LVD is. I never brought it up in the thread and had no intention of doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates