Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For the benefit of all the posters who like to use anecdotal evidence to prove their point, I'll contribute this one.

I knew a guy once who smoked a pack a day all his life, and when he was 93, he went upstairs to bed, and died peacefully in his sleep. That proves that smoking is not harmful to your health.

So, next time you are inclined to use anecdotal evidence to prove your point, come back here and read this one. And then hit the 'back' button instead of the 'send' button, and save us from your anecdotal evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I quit drinking and driving 3 years ago when I got my last DUI. But, lets use your logic to show you what an asinine remark you just made....

I got really drunk and drove all my life and never got in an accident. That means it is safe to drink and drive.

Here is another one, this is also true believe it or not....

My great aunt just turned 80 years old. She eats tons of junk food and is over 300 pounds. I guess I can draw the conclusion that obesity is not harmful since she is now 80 years old.
Boy that one got away, didn't it?... I inserted the roll-eyes and thumb in the appropriate spots above (not that it really needed it).

Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Boy that one got away, didn't it?... I inserted the roll-eyes and thumb in the appropriate spots above (not that it really needed it).
I wonder if he ever sobers up.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
I wonder if he ever sobers up.
Yeah, you are right. I am sorry I started this thread as I just found out I was greatly mistaken. To live a long life, you actually need to drink whiskey everyday, and also smoke everyday. I say this because the oldest living man (Henry Allingham), who just died at 113 years old, did exactly this. By the way, I am at work so I am dead sober.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
So many folks like to cherry pick on this topic.

There are so many things which are so much more of a risk in our daily lives--and never get addressed further than lip service. Each day I drive, I watch a good portion of drivers acting as if their IQ's are about 20. Every time one of them causes a crash, I pay for it through my car insurance rates. Yet, I have never been in a crash or even had any sort of ticket. And I still pay for it, right? Plus, my life is being endangered in a real sort of way every time I'm amongst the s**ty drivers. Nobody seems to want to do a thing about that. But man, somebody lights up a cigarette and the world is about to end.

You guys constantly play the 'medical insurance card,' while completely overlooking about a dozen other things that have the same effect on your wallet, only worse. If you are so worried about it, form an insurance group that only insures perfect people.
i did a thread on texting while driving. and to me thats one thing i fully beleave that should be outlawed in all stats!!!! it's being compaired to dui now>>>Texting while driving worse than DUI? - MSN Video 3 (http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-il&vid=1c65382a-4d54-4d15-a06f-aab198322ca0 - broken link)

i have to wear a seat belt here in the us vi or pay a one hundred dollar fine if caught not wearing it.. but someone can endanger my life while texting and driving.. where are the priorities

Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Quote:
For the benefit of all the posters who like to use anecdotal evidence to prove their point, I'll contribute this one.

I knew a guy once who smoked a pack a day all his life, and when he was 93, he went upstairs to bed, and died peacefully in his sleep. That proves that smoking is not harmful to your health.

So, next time you are inclined to use anecdotal evidence to prove your point, come back here and read this one. And then hit the 'back' button instead of the 'send' button, and save us from your anecdotal evidence.
uh excuse me, just because a very small minority make it to their 90s does NOT mean this does not kill millions of people and shorten their life! Your friend was the exception not the rule! You ever heard of that saying?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i did a thread on texting while driving. and to me thats one thing i fully beleave that should be outlawed in all stats!!!! it's being compaired to dui now>>>Texting while driving worse than DUI? - MSN Video 3 (http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-il&vid=1c65382a-4d54-4d15-a06f-aab198322ca0 - broken link)

i have to wear a seat belt here in the us vi or pay a one hundred dollar fine if caught not wearing it.. but someone can endanger my life while texting and driving.. where are the priorities
I think driving a vehicle and doing the following: texting, talking on a phone while holding it, putting on makeup, eating and smoking a cancer stick should be illegal. They all distract you while driving and you could kill an innocent person because you were not paying your full attention and holding the steering wheel with both hands! Your car is a very deadly weapon. Just my opinion though.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
ttz

Quote:
Each day I drive, I watch a good portion of drivers acting as if their IQ's are about 20. Every time one of them causes a crash, I pay for it through my car insurance rates.
Exactly! I wish some people would just put that damn cigarette out and just drive the damn car!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Well, there's two down!

I certainly agree that texting, reading, and generally goofing off while driving is not so smart. Texting while driving? That's absolutely stupid behavior. Russian roulette (worse, because you are also playing with other lives). Judging from what I've seen, I'd almost rather take my chances with a drunk driver than a texting driver.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i. but someone can endanger my life while texting and driving.. :
No they can't---you're wearing a seat belt.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Your friend was the exception not the rule! You ever heard of that saying? smack:
Yes. That's called "anecdotal evidence". It's what my post was about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates