Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I don't care how beneficial YOU think it may be.
I didn't write the articles in the various medical journals.

Quote:
The simple fact that it is a toxic poison, and if you get as little as a drop (40-60 mg) of it in your system will kill you is enough for me to believe it should be banned!
Lots of things you intentionally ingest every day will kill you if you ingest enough of it. Heck, water will do it.

You must lead a very nervous life. I'm sorry.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Cigarettes do one thing: Kill people.

That's it.
Stop playing Jesus and let adults do what they want as long as it is within the law. I quit smoking and hate cigarettes, but it doesn't mean I preach to adults about their actions. Some people need to butt out of other people's business.

If cigarettes became illegal, how would the government make up the tax revenue they would lose? I'm thinking it would be by taxing alcohol and fatty foods heavily.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No some think it's medicine.
Yes, many doctors do.

Had you simply followed a link given to you earlier, you'd have seen that there are treatments for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's that use nicotine. But you're too smart for that. You're so educated on the subject that you don't need any further information to make an informed decision. Your opinion that a particular plant is absolutely useless is firmly based in fact, logic and reality.

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I can think of one thing. It's effective at keeping whiny people away from me.
I'd +100 you for that one, but apparently I have to "spread it around" a bit.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Default Guards need to be healthier than inmates - and stop smoking!

It's also about "busying ourselves" (spending tax dollars) with research, PR campaigns, new agencies, etc, etc.

I know of a professor/researcher who recently left his university position to go to work for Dept of Corrections - primarily to address prison guards' smoking - because now that the inmates cannot smoke, the inmates may be healthier (stronger?) than the guards, especially the guards who smoke!! I think he said he expects the effort will "save" California a half million dollars a year. (Wonder if that savings takes into account the cig tax reduction? And, or his salary!!)

You're right -- pretty soon they'll find a new effort to focus on (I HOPE!)

Old 08-02-2009, 03:24 PM

68 posts, read 170,859 times
Quote:
Go ahead and laugh and joke all you want. It's all a funny delusion to you eh? Go ahead and smoke your cigarettes and soak your lungs in black soot hundreds of times a day. We all don't really care. We just don't want to breath in your toxic second hand smoke! We also do not want to smell your ash tray cologne. Or hear you hackng up a lung in the next cubicle. Nor do we wish to pay higher medical premiums because you are going to be needing critical medical care when your body starts to fall apart. The problem is, sir, that if you so happen to be a family member or loved one, this is when we give a *****. Other than this, we don't care if others smoke!
You have got some issues, probably with someone you care about in your family. BUT this issue has been taken way too far. Cigarettes have recently been overly taxed like I have never heard of anything before. I can buy booze cheaper, get lit out of my mind and do whatever happens as a result. I BET MONEY you are in favor of making marijuana legal. Do you wear cologne or perfume because I am extremely allergic to some of it especially when someone who apparently bathed in it walks by my table and I'm eating the most heavenly meal and almost loose it and certainly loose my appetite followed by the worst headache. Are you over weight. Do you exercise. Do you drink. Are you a condominium commando. In VA. you can't even smoke in a bar as of the next couple months. You can't smoke outside in a football or baseball stadium or school zone. Why don't you leave smokers alone and stay in a safe zone, such as everywhere One thing this country was built on was tobacco. I'll bet most of the attitude would change if it was the primary crop of New England.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well i think we should all not smoke>> drink alcohole>> gamble>> kill>> steal>> use volger language>> and stop being a greedy species..ohhhh damit i thought i was back on planet octupulous what a nightmare!!!!
The world would sure be one better place without all these things, wouldn't it? But nothing is perfect. So lets all just go out and buy a pack of cigs and have a smoke... And boost the economy and help with the over population problem!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes, many doctors do.

Had you simply followed a link given to you earlier, you'd have seen that there are treatments for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's that use nicotine. But you're too smart for that. You're so educated on the subject that you don't need any further information to make an informed decision. Your opinion that a particular plant is absolutely useless is firmly based in fact, logic and reality.

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.
My focus is mostly on cigarettes. If small amounts of nicotine can help a pretty much helpless person with a few years left then that is fine. But someone who just chooses to have a smoke to relax is BS...

Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM

68 posts, read 170,859 times
excuse me for a few, i have to go smoke

Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I didn't write the articles in the various medical journals.

Lots of things you intentionally ingest every day will kill you if you ingest enough of it. Heck, water will do it.

You must lead a very nervous life. I'm sorry.
Don't be stupid. Nicotine is a toxic poison. It's the tobacco's natural defense mechanism. It us used as a pesticide and is poisonous. Like I said a drop can bring down a horse.

Other things that we ingest are less dangerous. I can eat fast food every day and it would be less dangerous than smoking a pack a day. Don't let your junkie thinking try to defend your addiction!

I live a good and healthy life. I try to eat as good as I can and exercise a couple of times a week. I do not take pills or abuse stimulants and I hope to live for as long as I can. Sure bus can kill me tomorrow but I am doing my best to stay alive for as long as I can for my loved ones. I am not selfish like smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates