Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. That's called "anecdotal evidence". It's what my post was about.
I had to look up anecdotal evidence on google. I now see you were being sarcastic. I thought you were being serious as I did not know what anecdotal meant.

Anecdotal evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
No they can't---you're wearing a seat belt.
the only reason i wear my seat belt is it went from 25 dollar fine to a 100 dollar fine.. texting while driving should be at least 1000$ dollar fine!! it's just a mater of time before it becomes illegal across the board. to many inocent people are dying from other peoples stupidity..

i know you are only joking.. but texting while driving really teeees me off.. especially when i have to pay a hundred dollar fine for not wearing a seat belt.

Last edited by cruxan; 08-01-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You'll have millions of smokers addicted to a drug that has been compared to heroin that they will no longer be able to purchase legally. We all know what these heroin addicts will do to get their fix. You'll create an enormous black market and the cost of the cigarettes will sky rocket. Increased crime, increased cost for law enforcement, increased costs for courts, increased costs for jail, increased costs for.... Sounds like a plan to me.
Yeah, the "War on Drugs" is really working. The only reason it continues is because the DEA and Border Patrol is privately reaping enormous profits that most of us can't even begin to comprehend. And let's not dismiss the frightening surge of crime that's resulting from such outlaws - in Juarez, Mexico - just a hop, skip, and a jump from El Paso, TX - the murder rate amongst rival drug dealers so far this year tops the casualty rate for the entire country of Afghanistan during the current conflict going on. I'm nearby, and seeing news reports of 29 people being killed over the weekend is no longer news. The Mexican dealers are all jockeying for prime position to smuggle drugs into the US, their largest customer base. Supply & demand. Want to throw tobacco cigarettes into that mess? Get ready!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the only reason i wear my seat belt is it went from 25 dollar fine to a 100 dollar fine.. texting while driving should be at least 1000$ dollar fine!! it's just a mater of time before it becomes illegal across the board. to many inocent people are dying from other peoples stupidity..

i know you are only joking.. but texting while driving really teeees me off.. especially when i have to pay a hundred dollar fine for not wearing a seat belt.
If other drivers are texting, I can think of a lot better reason to use my seat belt than fear of a fine.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
If other drivers are texting, I can think of a lot better reason to use my seat belt than fear of a fine.
Honestly, its not the texting that worries me as much as those who can actually watch television on their phones -

I have the VCast service on my Verizon phone - and I can watch some of my favorite TV programs

Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
I did not read anything is this thread but I am going by the title and.....

Look what happened with the alcohol ban
Look what is happening with marijuana

Answer: No

Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Nothing's changed - you posted a link to an ad farm at costofsmoking.com, which is registered to "Jeffery Strain" whose email address is "savingadvice@gmail.com". Sorry, but I'm not getting that "this source is credible" feeling. Maybe I'll ask him about how to save money - after all, his e-mail address has "saving advice" in it, so he must know what he's talking about, right?

In the article he published, the author wrote about "a number of studies," but didn't cite a single one. I could write an article about "a number of studies" that prove that the sky has pink polka-dots - does that make it any more believable?

Kudos for trying to back up what you wrote, but you failed miserably. Was that the best you could do? I sincerely hope not.

Tell you what - why don't you scan and post your own policy? Remove any identifying information, of course, but you stated that your own insurance company asked you about this. If you're getting any sort of discount for being a non-smoker, it'll be right there in your policy.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I actually did and I clearly saw the benefits vs hazards really did warrant that it gets banned forever... sorry I'm just not addicted to it like you!
Not even willing to click the link provided and read for ten minutes... sad. It's demonstrative of your utter and absolute closed-mindedness, which I suspected before now. Thanks for removing all doubt.

For some reason you seem to believe that the only delivery method for nicotine is smoking tobacco, and that anyone exposed to any amount of nicotine - for any reason and delivered in any way - will become a tobacco addict. Could you possibly be more narrow minded in your thinking? I don't think so.

I'm glad that doctors and research scientists aren't as closed minded as you - we'd still be in the dark ages when it comes to medical science. Just imagine if Fleming decided that the substance he discovered couldn't have any medical use, since it came from mold...

Anti-smoking has become a new religion. People believe what they're told based on faith, pseudo science and "cigarettes are icky," and you're a true believer. A "thumper," if you will.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
yet these smokers are consuming our health care resources at ever increasing rates, then they still die.
They still die? You mean that if I stop smoking, I'll live forever?!?!?!

BTW, this is at least the second time you've cited the health care resources that smokers consume. Earlier, you quoted a figure of $5,000 per day. I believe this is the third time you've been asked to provide some sort of source for this information.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Boy that one got away, didn't it?... I inserted the roll-eyes and thumb in the appropriate spots above (not that it really needed it).
Quote:
I wonder if he ever sobers up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yeah, you are right. I am sorry I started this thread as I just found out I was greatly mistaken. To live a long life, you actually need to drink whiskey everyday, and also smoke everyday. I say this because the oldest living man (Henry Allingham), who just died at 113 years old, did exactly this. By the way, I am at work so I am dead sober.
That would be a resounding "no".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates