Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No we're not - LVD is. I never brought it up in the thread and had no intention of doing so.
Yes, you did bring it up by putting it in your status update followed by my name. Did you really think I would not notice it? I personally do not need to resort to childish games so I will not do the same to you. I have heard other people use the word, but it my not be a real word...no biggie.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, you did bring it up by putting it in your status update followed by my name.
Hmm.. I think you're going to have to go back through the thread and re-read my posts, 'cuz I'm absolutely positive that I didn't bring it up. This will also be the last post in which I discuss it at all. My status is my status - not the topic of discussion.

Quote:
Did you really think I would not notice it?
I didn't think about it one way or the other. I set my status to neither amuse nor agitate you. I set it because I found it amusing myself. It's a funny sounding word, that's all. Kind of like "mayonnaise," which is, of course, a real word, but funny sounding none the less.

Just an FYI - the earth and heavens don't revolve around you, and neither does everything I do. Get over your sense of victimization. Perhaps if you let the fog clear once in a while, these things would be more obvious.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Automobiles serve a useful purpose, while cigarettes pose absolutely none.
OK, so what are you supposed to do after sex then...?
They can ban cigarettes for all I care, but it won't happen because the tobacco Industry is too big, and it would put millions out of work.
With the klutz we now have in the WH, we don't need anymore job loss.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
OK, so what are you supposed to do after sex then...?
They can ban cigarettes for all I care, but it won't happen because the tobacco Industry is too big, and it would put millions out of work.
With the klutz we now have in the WH, we don't need anymore job loss.
I don't believe the gentleman we have in the White House now would ban cigarettes. I was hoping he'd legalize marijuana, and in part he has, but not the complete legalization I was looking for.

Now, Christian conservatives who already believe they know whats best for your body on all other matters, I could see them trying to ban tobacco.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Default Obama smokes?!? (Oh, I mean 'ever' smoked?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't believe the gentleman we have in the White House now would ban cigarettes.
Maybe because he smokes? Bet he REALLY wanted one with that beer last Thursday!

Last edited by Zelva; 08-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2009, 01:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?
Cigarettes do one thing: Kill people.

That's it.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

That's it.
And the innocent bystanders who happen to be around them.

+1 for you.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

That's it.
So does skydiving. Other than military, firefighting, etc operations it serves absolutely no practical purpose. Should we ban that too?

The same applies to most all recreational activities (especially high-risk sports). They serve no practical purpose, yet many people die doing them every year. Ban them?

I'll bet you have no problem with a kayaker going over a waterfall and possibly killing himself in pursuit of his sport. But, you do have a problem with a guy sitting down at the bar smoking and drinking and possibly killing himself.

Bottom line is, people know the risks. Let them decide for themselves. Not you.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Not even willing to click the link provided and read for ten minutes... sad. It's demonstrative of your utter and absolute closed-mindedness, which I suspected before now. Thanks for removing all doubt.

For some reason you seem to believe that the only delivery method for nicotine is smoking tobacco, and that anyone exposed to any amount of nicotine - for any reason and delivered in any way - will become a tobacco addict. Could you possibly be more narrow minded in your thinking? I don't think so.

I'm glad that doctors and research scientists aren't as closed minded as you - we'd still be in the dark ages when it comes to medical science. Just imagine if Fleming decided that the substance he discovered couldn't have any medical use, since it came from mold...

Anti-smoking has become a new religion. People believe what they're told based on faith, pseudo science and "cigarettes are icky," and you're a true believer. A "thumper," if you will.
I don't care how beneficial YOU think it may be. The simple fact that it is a toxic poison, and if you get as little as a drop (40-60 mg) of it in your system will kill you is enough for me to believe it should be banned!

http://www.medicinenet.com/nicotine/article.htm

Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Exclamation BAN BBQs!!

I say BAN BBQs!! Imagine the DANGER TO CHILDREN AT BBQs!! Talk about 3rd hand smoke - and particulate matter!! Sheesh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates