Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I just knew someone would say what you did. You must smoke!
Exhibit A (above) is what I see as the root of the problem (it's demonstrated quite well): I don't do it, so nobody should have the right to do it.

That attitude (in general), in my opinion is a big part of what’s wrong with this nation. As for myself, I DO NOT SMOKE and never have. But you know what? I believe that whether others do or not is their personal choice, not mine.

You people grasp onto the most ridiculous risk statistics that you wouldn't even bat an eye over if it applied to a behavior that you were engaged in. In fact, I'll bet half of you fanatics would have a person impaled for smoking in the middle of a desert with nobody around for 150 miles. It's a matter of selfishness; that is the way of our world today. You just don't want people doing it. So you jump up and down and throw a tantrum just like a four year old.

The thing that you don't understand about your slippery slide is that it will only be a matter of time before something you do is banned. Then something else. Then something else. And pretty soon, you won't be able to do anything except sit and think about how you gave all your freedom away.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exhibit A (above) is what I see as the root of the problem (it's demonstrated quite well): I don't do it, so nobody should have the right to do it.

That attitude (in general), in my opinion is a big part of what’s wrong with this nation. As for myself, I DO NOT SMOKE and never have. But you know what? I believe that whether others do or not is their personal choice, not mine.

You people grasp onto the most ridiculous risk statistics that you wouldn't even bat an eye over if it applied to a behavior that you were engaged in. In fact, I'll bet half of you fanatics would have a person impaled for smoking in the middle of a desert with nobody around for 150 miles. It's a matter of selfishness; that is the way of our world today. You just don't want people doing it. So you jump up and down and throw a tantrum just like a four year old.

The thing that you don't understand about your slippery slide is that it will only be a matter of time before something you do is banned. Then something else. Then something else. And pretty soon, you won't be able to do anything except sit and think about how you gave all your freedom away.
I just could not disagree more with you. You have no idea. You try being with a loved one that is heavily addicted to something, that they cannot stop and seeing the heavy toll it has taken and will continue to take on their (and my) life. There is no slippery slope, it's all in your head. If I am doing something that kills 400,000 people, that is the #1 preventable disease in the world, that contributes to 1 in 5 cancers, that costs a fortune over a lifetime, that is killing me every single time I use it, that imprisons a person and does not allow them to be free, that grasps young kids by the throat and ensures they will be lifetime users to line pockets of big tobbaco then I believe I will be fine with the BAN thank you very much! No arguments from me I will stand right down! (but if I am an addict I will act like a Heroinie addict and steal your Blue Ray player to fund my now illegal addiction!

Now ban Fast food, Donuts, Chocolate and Pop? Are you insane? There is no reason to! People do not become compulsive addicts eating that stuff! They are just lazy and don't want to try to eat/live healthy lives. And that is fine, they are not hurting anyone but themselves. No excuses.

Last edited by ttz; 08-13-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Let's do it. Let's ban alcohol while we're at it. Then the problem will go away, and nobody will even think of trying to make a buck smuggling and selling it. Like Prohibition. That turned out really well.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Let's do it. Let's ban alcohol while we're at it. Then the problem will go away, and nobody will even think of trying to make a buck smuggling and selling it. Like Prohibition. That turned out really well.
It's never going to happen. Too much $$ involved. And the Nicotine ensures new victims every day... because used up victims die evey single day! Really sad huh?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?
Total bunk. There aren't even any clinical studies showing any inherent dangers in Secondhand smoke, let alone third hand smoke.

The entire War on Smokers is purely bandwagon politics at it's finest, the "Prohibition of the 2000's".

Any agenda that must artificially inflate it's "statistics" should never be supported.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
It's never going to happen. Too much $$ involved. And the Nicotine ensures new victims every day... because used up victims die evey single day! Really sad huh?
Nobody made them smoke. It's personal choice.

And they'll make that choice, whether or not they're illegal. Pot's illegal, but I still get it and smoke.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
I just could not disagree more with you. You have no idea. You try being with a loved one that is heavily addicted to something, that they cannot stop and seeing the heavy toll it has taken and will continue to take on their (and my) life. There is no slippery slope, it's all in your head. If I am doing something that kills 400,000 people, that is the #1 preventable disease in the world, that contributes to 1 in 5 cancers, that costs a fortune over a lifetime, that is killing me every single time I use it, that imprisons a person and does not allow them to be free, that grasps young kids by the throat and ensures they will be lifetime users to line pockets of big tobbaco then I believe I will be fine with the BAN thank you very much! No arguments from me I will stand right down!

Now ban Fast food, Donuts, Chocolate and Pop? Are you insane? There is no reason to! People do not become compulsive addicts eating that stuff! They are just lazy and don't want to try to eat/live healthy lives. And that is fine, they are not hurting anyone but themselves. No excuses.
WRONG.

Only 1/3 of cancers are ASSOCITAED with smoking. Environmental issues are enver examined either.

When you remove the fluff and artificially expanded statistics, one sees smoking move father and father down the line, until "Accidental Deaths" outstrip those deaths attributed to smoking.

And if you don't think people become addicted to fast food, pop, etc. got news for ya.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
WRONG.

Only 1/3 of cancers are ASSOCITAED with smoking. Environmental issues are enver examined either.
Woops I meant 1 in 5 deaths is attributed to smoking! My bad!!

ACS :: Cigarette Smoking

Quote:
When you remove the fluff and artificially expanded statistics, one sees smoking move father and father down the line, until "Accidental Deaths" outstrip those deaths attributed to smoking.
Um not sure what YOU are smoking but whatever!

Quote:
And if you don't think people become addicted to fast food, pop, etc. got news for ya.
Um I can get addicted to debating on City Data forum! Whats your point? The facts are Nicotine addiction is said to be more intense and harder to beat than Heroine and Cocaine addiction! Don't worry about someones fast food addiction! It's peanuts comparted to a hard core cigarette addict!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM

So if we ban tobacco, there will be no more nicotine addiction. Just like cocaine.

The moment I hit "send" on this post, somebody somewhere in this country is doing a line.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Nobody made them smoke. It's personal choice.

And they'll make that choice, whether or not they're illegal. Pot's illegal, but I still get it and smoke.
Yes true, nobody put that nasty cigarette in a 10 year olds mouth and lit it. But colored cigs, fruit flavours and cartoon characters (from the past) sure did lure those kids to try and "be cool" and "grown up" didn't it? 1 cigarette can hook a kid into this nasty and self destructive habit. Look it up, and I hope your child never tries one when you are not around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates