Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 AM

537 posts, read 292,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
There you go right there, if there were any remotely real societal benefit from banning smoking Europe would have done it by now. They generally lead the way in restricting individuals for the greater good.
Like reckless driving, right? Have you ever been to Madrid or Naples?

Have you ever been in a restaurant in Paris?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Of course cigarettes are bad. Of course they're stinky and many smokers themselves are stinky, unpleasant people. I am also the only non-smoker where I work. I also can't stand my co-workers leaving their butts everywhere outside-I think it's gross and disrespectful (when I used to smoke I would throw mine away). Of course cigarettes have no useful benefit to society (okay, other than the benefits to the economy; they are a major cashflow to what, the Carolinas and Kentucky? Also a large employment sector then for a lot of people there).

But it's not about the cigarettes-it's the bigger picture. The OP is suggesting that since cigarettes are 'bad and stinky' they should be regulated and outlawed (even though they are legal). This could suggest a dangerous slope of a nanny government regulating all sorts of 'risky' behavior in order to 'better' it's citizens. Do you think it would stop with cigarettes?
A rep for you! That is my exact point too!!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
[/i]

And what do you do with the non-biodegradable butts when you've completed your long trip to cancer, emphysema and other fun stuff? If you keep them in your car or home, great. If not, you're not environmentally responsible.

We all place a strain on the environment. Do you drive, use electricity, or consume any type of non-renewable resource in any way? If so, you're also being environmentally irresponsible.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
I'm won't smoke in YOUR house or YOUR car but will in my own.
So if you had to give a co-worker or friend a ride in your car and they did not smoke you would be rude and smoke?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08
But it's not about the cigarettes-it's the bigger picture. The OP is suggesting that since cigarettes are 'bad and stinky' they should be regulated and outlawed (even though they are legal). This could suggest a dangerous slope of a nanny government regulating all sorts of 'risky' behavior in order to 'better' it's citizens. Do you think it would stop with cigarettes?!
That's not why they should be banned. It's everything but this. Pun intented.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
I am the only non-smoker in my office and, consequently, am the only one that never gets sick and has to call in.
You also probably take a lot less "breaks" too I bet! That's how it works, if you smoke you magically get several breaks a day!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM

68 posts, read 170,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
We all place a strain on the environment. Do you drive, use electricity, or consume any type of non-renewable resource in any way? If so, you're also being environmentally irresponsible.
I love your point about perfume. I have a terrible problem with some of the perfumes that are very rich and sweet and smell like someone bathed in them but I am polite about it and have never, ever said a word. I have literally tried to consciously prevent gagging and HAVE had nausia and headaches. I also try to not breath the fumes from gas for the same reason. There are many places that are non-smoke environments but that i snot enough. This is about power by control freaks!!!!!! I went to a dinner/movie place that was non-smoking (I think) and after the show a few of us were outside beside the building, not even near the front door and a woman came out and immediately started her nasty attack over smoking. By the way, I am dead serious, I WANT PEOPLE FINED FOR SPITTING IN PUBLIC, ( on the sidewalk entrance to Food Lion) this poses a very serious health hazard. I don't want to hear any more filthy language & volume (damaging my hearing & elevating my heart rate and blood pressure) see any more butt cracks, or underwear 10" above shorts, men with hands down the front of their shorts, and I want people permanently restricted from stores for leaving the bathroom worse than a bunch of filthy rats, not to mention having sex in there. So if the government is going to just keep taking away all our rights, then start enforcing some of the laws that already exist and start making some more that most of us DO agree with!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
LOL.....

Teacher Forces Student to Smoke 42 Cigarettes

Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
Like reckless driving, right? Have you ever been to Madrid or Naples?

Have you ever been in a restaurant in Paris?

What are you talking about?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Yes. And all sorts of people have all sorts of conditions that impinge on my life. Some affect my health and some affect my quality of life.
I'm not out there with a superior attitude about myself and what I have to endure from the stupid masses trying to legislate their choices. And yes I'm a liberal and a Democrat.

When it comes to adults its their choice. Doesn't matter if I've been in a cancer ward watching someone die - that doesn't make me want to go out and ban their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates