Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times

Advertisements

I am a self hating smoker. I wish I didn't smoke. I hate it. I quit for two or three years at a time and then will start again.

The government has recognized smoking is an addiction in all the lawsuits against tobacco companies and yet they tax the hell out of it! Why because it is an addiction and they know most people will smoke anyway because they are addicted and will continue to pay the price.

Anything else deemed so harmful would be outlawed and regulated. Look at some states strict exhaust laws. The thing is, this country cannot do without the "sin" tax dollars. Especially right now.

Yes, I beleive Cigs in their over processed state should be outlawed and all other processed foods that are harmful to peoples health. Tobacco in its raw state? No. It doesn't contain all the crap that overprocessed cigs contain. Unfortunately for me, I am addicted to the processed tobacco, perhaps I should switch to some homegrown but, then, that is illegal because it is untaxable.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
WHats funny is smokers refuse to admit they do not CARE if smoking offends others. they make up excuses and deflect from the issue, but when it comes down to it, they KNOW smoking is harmful, but they do NOT CARE.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And most smokers (in my personal experience, including myself) will make every attempt NOT to be offensive.
every attempt but restricting their habit to their own homes away from others?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I am a self hating smoker. I wish I didn't smoke. I hate it. I quit for two or three years at a time and then will start again.

The government has recognized smoking is an addiction in all the lawsuits against tobacco companies and yet they tax the hell out of it! Why because it is an addiction and they know most people will smoke anyway because they are addicted and will continue to pay the price.

Anything else deemed so harmful would be outlawed and regulated. Look at some states strict exhaust laws. The thing is, this country cannot do without the "sin" tax dollars. Especially right now.

Yes, I beleive Cigs in their over processed state should be outlawed and all other processed foods that are harmful to peoples health. Tobacco in its raw state? No. It doesn't contain all the crap that overprocessed cigs contain. Unfortunately for me, I am addicted to the processed tobacco, perhaps I should switch to some homegrown but, then, that is illegal because it is untaxable.
Several 1st nations tribes offer natural blends they manufacture themselves. I smoke such a brand.

Most reservations are tax free as well (not in NYS anymore, unfortunatly. More treaties broken).

May I suggest you locate, and switch to, such a brand? Some reservation smoke shops have online ordering and shipping, though your local/state municipality may have laws limiting online purchases so it will be wise to check before hand.

It helped ease my addiction to the crap big tobacco puts in their smokes, and turned smoking into a mere physical habit for me. You might still experience the grumps tho, just so you know.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
every attempt but restricting their habit to their own homes away from others?
Yup. No reason to restrict one's habit to one's own home.

At the bus stop, I step away from other people.

I also do not smoke near the doorway to buildings/pubs.

I also don't think my butt will "magically disappear" when I toss it, so I pinch it out and pocket the butt, or use a butt recepticle.

Like I said, I'm excpected to put up with closed sinuses, or a nose attacked by BO. You can put up with the occasional smell of a cigaratte.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Still waiting on peer reviewed clinical reaserch and trials showing some ionherent danger of second hand smoke, BTW.

If we're going to outlaw or restrict something currently legal, let's at least do it for health concerns, and not because some people are merely offended.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Still waiting on peer reviewed clinical reaserch and trials showing some ionherent danger of second hand smoke, BTW.

If we're going to outlaw or restrict something currently legal, let's at least do it for health concerns, and not because some people are merely offended.
This is the best I could find. It is backed up with over a 130 sources too....

Passive smoking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the first 18 months after the town of Pueblo, Colorado enacted a smoking ban in 2003, hospital admissions for heart attacks dropped 27%. Admissions in neighboring towns without smoking bans showed no change. Raymond Gibbons, M.D., American Heart Association president said, "The decline in the number of heart attack hospitalizations within the first year and a half after the non-smoking ban that was observed in this study is most likely due to a decrease in the effect of secondhand smoke as a triggering factor for heart attacks."

Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is the best I could find. It is backed up with over a 130 sources too....

Passive smoking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the first 18 months after the town of Pueblo, Colorado enacted a smoking ban in 2003, hospital admissions for heart attacks dropped 27%. Admissions in neighboring towns without smoking bans showed no change. Raymond Gibbons, M.D., American Heart Association president said, "The decline in the number of heart attack hospitalizations within the first year and a half after the non-smoking ban that was observed in this study is most likely due to a decrease in the effect of secondhand smoke as a triggering factor for heart attacks."
Sorry, there are no peer reviewed clinical research or trials in your link.

Just more of the usual junk "science" we've come to expect.

Statistics are TOO easy to manipulate to be used as any form of concrete evidence.

This is why it is imperative, especially when discussing the elimination of an "Inherent Right" (activities currently not legislated against but do not appear in the US or State Constitutions), to have peer reviewed clinical research and testing under laboratory conditions.

Added-in-Edit - But thanks for the effort. It was a rather laoded question, as there is NO legitimate research done that I know of.

Last edited by AxisMundi; 08-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Forgot something...

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Sorry, there are no peer reviewed clinical research or trials in your link.

Just more of the usual junk "science" we've come to expect.

Statistics are TOO easy to manipulate to be used as any form of concrete evidence.

This is why it is imperative, especially when discussing the elimination of an "Inherent Right" (activities currently not legislated against but do not appear in the US or State Constitutions), to have peer reviewed clinical research and testing under laboratory conditions.

Added-in-Edit - But thanks for the effort. It was a rather laoded question, as there is NO legitimate research done that I know of.
Fair enough, but remember I do not want cigarettes banned. I only want a reasonable ban on public places like California or Arizona has. Nevada is lacking it.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,846 times
Quote:
I suggest you contact the American Lung Association and or American Cancer Society, that would be a good start!

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...Indoor_Air.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates