Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,863,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Just because no one has supposedly died from marijuana they really can't determine if that lung cancer was caused by tobacco or marijuana smoke. How many people do you know that died from a tobacco overdose?

Marijuana is an illegal drug so shouldn't it be put into that category?
first off no i've never heard of anyone dying of a tobacco overdose, but lets just go out on a limb here....can we say coroners (the people who do autopsies) know what they are doing and what to look for when cutting people open? that there could be some tests done on the organs to determine what the cause of death was...down to a particular smoke (if that particular smoke was a sole cause)? how do we know cigarettes cause lung cancer....smoking causing lung cancer is just a myth formulated by all those crazy health experts eh...

oh and dont forget this report was put out by the US government so we all know how much they want to defend and prove how safe (in terms of deaths) MJ...they kinda shot themselves in the foot with that one lol

As for your point that because Marijuana is an illegal drug it should be put in the "illegal drug" category...here is the problem with that sort of thinking...you see the 2 broad categories on the list, what happens if you take the tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and aspirin and clump them in the legal drug categories, would be very descriptive would it? i dont know about you but i'd say they made the right choice in being a bit descriptive in the facts that are presented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,687,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Recent studies suggest marijuana does not increase cancer risks and may actually help fight cancer.

But regardless of that, you don't have to smoke it to ingest it. Go ahead, try to find something harmful about eating marijuana. It's safer than refined sugar.

Alcohol is more dangerous so shouldn't it be put in that category FIRST?

The hypocrisy.

You must have to ingest an awful lot of marijuana to get a buzz. I have ingested it before and nothing. I have also smoked plenty and depending on the type (ditch weed vs kryptonite) and how much you smoke as someone else posted depends on what kind of buzz you get. I have smoked marijuana and it would have been dangerous for me to be out on the road.
Vitamin A is dangerous too, but I don't see it up there. Too much alcohol is dangerous if you consume too much, but it also has health benefits as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM

96 posts, read 265,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
WTF are DT's? I have be out for about 2 weeks and lost 4 lbs.
DTs = delirium tremens aka "the shakes", "delirium tremors", are caused when a person is detoxing / withdrawing from alcohol.

symptoms include: confusion, diarrhea, disorientation and agitation and fever, high blood pressure, delusions, vomiting, seeing things, picking up imaginary things like cigarettes. i worked in psych hospitals for ten years and i've never seen anyone go through withdrawals from marijuana.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,046,860 times
Quote:
You must have to ingest an awful lot of marijuana to get a buzz. I have ingested it before and nothing.
If you eat it straight, then yes you have to eat a lot. It works a lot better if you dissolve the THC in butter first.

Quote:
I have also smoked plenty and depending on the type (ditch weed vs kryptonite) and how much you smoke as someone else posted depends on what kind of buzz you get. I have smoked marijuana and it would have been dangerous for me to be out on the road.
Vitamin A is dangerous too, but I don't see it up there. Too much alcohol is dangerous if you consume too much, but it also has health benefits as well.
So you want to outlaw Vitamin A and alcohol? Or legalize pot? Which cure for hypocrisy do you choose?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM

www.marijuanaaddiction.info

www.addictionstudies.org/science_update-marijuana.html

www.drugscience.org/dl/dl_comparison.html

Dependency is not as strong, but there are health effect and withdrawl symptoms.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,238,441 times
Oh yay, this thread has been bumped again.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,784,151 times
If you use illegal marijuana then you are more to blame for the situation on our border than some migrant farm worker. Just last week Border Patrol caught 22 Tons of the stuff just down the road from where that rancher was killed

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Just to clarify I do not smoke anymore. Not that it matters.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,863,614 times
Quote:
www.marijuanaaddiction.info

www.addictionstudies.org/science_update-marijuana.html

www.drugscience.org/dl/dl_comparison.html

Dependency is not as strong, but there are health effect and withdrawl symptoms.
my question to you is who is denying the fact that there may be health effects...thats not the point thats being argued.

the point is we have plenty of other things that are much worse in society such as alcohol and cigarettes, and these things are perfectly legal, yet we have a drug war going on....gangs on the streets killing people, selling to minors, and possibly allowing for harder drugs to be exchanged (because lets be honest here drug dealers are gonna sell everything they have)...plus i have read somewhere (dont have the quote off hand but i could find it if you want) that MJ is one of the largest cash crops in the US right now...

...basically what i am saying is if you legalize it, you have regulation (to an extent but still regulation nonetheless), taxation of the possibly largest cash crop in the US, and eliminates the need for drug dealers on the streets (once again not completely but at least to an extent)...and the argument is it has SOME health effects yet people dont even bat an eye at the other LEGAL drugs? if you dont like MJ dont smoke it...i dont...but the pros out weight the cons greatly and the cons while i see them most of society could give a ****, its the social stigma that has been put on the "weed" by the government and popular media to keep it illegal for their own greedy and personal reasons...so much for looking out for all americans

/end rant

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM

229 posts, read 881,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Believe it or not, the biggest opposition to Marijuana is from the tobacco and Alcohol companies. They have powerful lobbyists to prevent Marijuana from becoming legal as it would cut heavily into their sales.

Alcohol I can see but I wonder if its still the case with the tobacco companies being against marijuana? Within the last year the goverment has gotten into big time restricting cigarettes such as the banning of flavored smokes like cloves, advertising and I believe there is still that future ban on "light" cigarettes. Plus it wasn't that long ago when the big cigarette companies HATED smokeless tobacco..today there is smokeless version of both Marlboro and Camel on the market and the other day I heard that a smokeless KOOL, Winston, Newport and Salem are coming out as well.

So far no word on a Skoal version of Virginia Slims.

If cigarette companies were so against marijuana, maybe their stance has since changed? If not I am sure it will soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates