Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,454,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
If we legalize MJ then what is next? Crack, meth, heroine?

Prescription medication is regulated and I know of and I know personally people who have had to go to rehab, because of oxycotin (or whatever it is) addictions. I here of pharmacies being robbed all the time.
What a stupid argument.

Did we legalize everything after we ended the prohibition of alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Marijuana is addictive. When people smoke it like tobacco they will become just as addicted to MJ as they are to tobacco, but for know it's too hard to get and too expensive.
The reason I brought up the oxycotin is as an example of a regulated drug. It is legal by prescription, as will marijuana when they legalize it. Gangs will still sell it on the street, just like perscribed meds.
Study says marijuana no gateway drug | ScienceBlog.com (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/study-say-marijuana-no-gateway-drug-12116.html - broken link)

Its not a gateway drug, and

And its not addictive

Myth: Marijuana is Highly Addictive. Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

United States. Dept. of Health and Human Services. DASIS Report Series, Differences in Marijuana Admissions Based on Source of Referral. 2002. June 24 2005.
Johnson, L.D., et al. “National Survey Results on Drug Use from the Monitoring the Future Study, 1975-1994, Volume II: College Students and Young Adults.” Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1996.
Kandel, D.B., et al. “Prevalence and demographic correlates of symptoms of dependence on cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana and cocaine in the U.S. population.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 44 (1997):11-29.
Stephens, R.S., et al. “Adult marijuana users seeking treatment.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61 (1993): 1100-1104.

Notice the sources, the department of health

Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,032,990 times
Quote:
They don't beat them up until they are out of pot.
There is increasing evidence that marijuana is a viable treatment for the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Of course the jury is still out whether subjects are using because of an inherent clinical depression or if the depression stems from chronic usage.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM

85 posts, read 296,168 times
Quote:
Marijuana is addictive. When people smoke it like tobacco they will become just as addicted to MJ as they are to tobacco, but for know it's too hard to get and too expensive.
The reason I brought up the oxycotin is as an example of a regulated drug. It is legal by prescription, as will marijuana when they legalize it. Gangs will still sell it on the street, just like perscribed meds.

Not sure what you are trying to say/argue here.

1. You say it is just as addictive as nicotine? Fine, why don't you prove that for us.

2. Let say that it was, does that mean we should should have a tobacco prohibition too then?

3. Your oxycotin argument is totally flawed. Marijuana IS legal by prescription in many states already. The reason marijuana is surrounded by criminal activities is because it is illegal in many states and illegal without a physicians approval in others. Putting people in jail for selling marijuana does not change consumption since the jailed pot dealer will soon be replaced by another. Prohibition of pot CREATES crime, not the opposite.

Do you have any idea how much money we spend on law enforcement and jails in conncetion with a plant that we can grow in our backyard and that is far safer to smoke than ingesting alcohol? The whole thing is completely ludicrous.

You would think that people who are writing on internet forums would be technical enough to do some simple web research about pot and learn how to deal with facts.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 PM

114 posts, read 200,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
I agree marijuana should be legalized too.

If you legalize Marijuana people abuse it and **** gets outta hand fast, you have to decriminalize it.

I know how the government could make money off Marijuana but it would have to be decriminallized.

Drop out of politics if you can't undestand how to do it.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
There is increasing evidence that marijuana is a viable treatment for the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Of course the jury is still out whether subjects are using because of an inherent clinical depression or if the depression stems from chronic usage.

Not sure that the jury is out on that one. There are several studies that show that patients with either one of the two symptoms you mention enjoyed great improvements from marijuana--and they had never touched the stuff before the treatment.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post
If you legalize Marijuana people abuse it and **** gets outta hand fast, you have to decriminalize it.
That sounds just like the arguments alcohol prohibition supporters were making some 70 years ago. But I would love to hear some proof to your doomsday prophesy.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post

I know how the government could make money off Marijuana but it would have to be decriminallized.

Drop out of politics if you can't undestand how to do it.
Why would it get out of hand quickly?

Holland is a reasonably safe country, and they've had legal pot for years. Few, if any problems because of it.

If you ever go over there, you are much more likely to be involved in a bar fight, or traffic accident, with someone who has consumed alcohol, than someone who has just smoked a bowl.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,287,315 times
The issue isn't whether or not marijuana should be legal (it shouldn't be); its whether or not alcohol should be legal. If alcohol and nicotine were discovered today, they would be banned substances. Just like marijuana and other drugs. However, alcohol has such a hold on society, it will not be banned.

All these studies about drunk driving, domestic violence, etc regarding marijuana are VERY FLAWED. Most people are what are called "poly" drug users. Meaning, they use several different drugs, including alcohol. When you pull someone over and they have been drinking, that is easy to spot. The smell, the actions, etc. Its not so easy to spot someone who has also been smoking marijuana and/or using other drugs. A breath test, doesn't show drug use. And most people are smart enought to know, I don't want to go to court with alcohol, meth, and marijuana in my system. So, I'll just take a breath test.

Domestic violence and marijuana? I've been a police officer for 20 yrs. I am telling you, i've seen plenty of DV involving people who have used marijuana; both the victim and suspect. I've also seen much DV over the marijuana itself. Along with: murders, assaults, rapes, et al.

The simple fact of the matter is this: People who advocate the legalization of marijuana, do so, because they want to use the drug themselves, without a stigma attached too it. They want it to be legal, so they, themselves, aren't breaking the law. They could care less if it will cause higher taxes and increased crime. As long as they do not have to face a criminal prosecution.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 PM

114 posts, read 200,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why would it get out of hand quickly?

Holland is a reasonably safe country, and they've had legal pot for years. Few, if any problems because of it.

If you ever go over there, you are much more likely to be involved in a bar fight, or traffic accident, with someone who has consumed alcohol, than someone who has just smoked a bowl.

Holland is in Europe tho. If a place like the US or Canada legalized then the crime runs rampant and crime increases because of the Cartels. But if you decriminalize (Like it is in Amsterdam [Myth that's it's legalized]) then you make money off it and crime can't go very far because they'll get fined too much, but they won't go to jail and shoot up a rambo rampage.

By people abusing I mean that some people with abuse it decide that people will go 'I NEED weed now so im'ma steal some nad hope to be successful, one thing leads to another there's a fight and one of them is likely to get seriously injured or even die.

I'm not saying pot is bad by legalizing within a snap makes stuff get off of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates