Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times

Advertisements

You tell em jtur88. Man some of you ppl are completely OFF. LVD and RV for one...crazies.
SMH here.
Decriminalize...not sure I was the "trusty" government regulating this medicine. Prescription drugs are already a joke. Wouldn't suprise me if they laced MJ with an addictive additive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Because they shouldn't be driving themselves, if they're drinking.

marijuana negatively affects depth perception though, another important consideration...

of course you're more likely to see a drunk person driving to get more alcohol than a stoned person driving to get more pot.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Believe it or not, the biggest opposition to Marijuana is from the tobacco and Alcohol companies. They have powerful lobbyists to prevent Marijuana from becoming legal as it would cut heavily into their sales.

I dont doubt it.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 AM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Because the government hasn't figured out how to package and tax it yet!
I beg to differ

http://www.times.ro/files/images/1weed.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
Maude I see your point, but it doesn't matter if they can make a nice marlboro package if their are thousands of lbs of it coming in cheaper from Mexico and growing in my backyard. Why would anyone buy their stuff if they can get it cheaper.

And no I don't grow weed in my backyard, I don't have a backyard to grow it in.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Maude I see your point, but it doesn't matter if they can make a nice marlboro package if their are thousands of lbs of it coming in cheaper from Mexico and growing in my backyard. Why would anyone buy their stuff if they can get it cheaper.

And no I don't grow weed in my backyard, I don't have a backyard to grow it in.
you're gonna make me actually debate? weeeee.

Your point is valid, but I'm going to do the popular thing and compare it to booze. You can make your own booze. You can make it pretty cheap once you get the hang of things and if you make it in big enough batches. However, its a matter of quality and convenience.

As a sporadic smoker, I can say its not always easy to get some weed when you want it. You might have to call a bunch of people to get some, and then the price depends on how much is in the area and the quality of what you're getting. Depending on who you get it from, you can be getting overcharged. There are a lot of unregulated factors when trying to get some pot. During a dry period it can become a chore to get some when you want it.

Then you can grow your own, but you have to take care of it seriously. Most outdoor growers end up with VERY mediocre stuff. Even if it was legal, to grow quality pot you need quality grow lights, soil, and a watering/humidity system. They're not marigolds for chrissake. They need a lot of TLC. Then you need to clean and dry the plant when its mature.

All of the above also applies to booze. During prohibition, people made their own secretly. You ever hear of "bathtub gin?" It apparently tasted how it sounds. Awful. A lot of mixed drinks were created to cover up the flavor of poor-quality booze. I know people who do roughly the same with pot: they mix pinches of decent stuff with their cheap stuff to make it better.

If it became legal, regulated, and taxed, growing would be a business. Better strains would be developed and you could buy pot anywhere cigarettes are sold. The price would be about the same, even with a very high tax, because the cost now isn't just the price to get it to you, but also by how easy it is to get in general. If you happened to be talented at making your own pot, you could possibly end up the equivalent to a microbrewer. And private making would be the same as private making your own beer/wine. You'd have it, but unless you're good at what you do, its never going to be a consistently good product. That's why anything you could make at home still sells well at stores. Quality and convenience.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 PM

284 posts, read 542,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I stand corrected, my apologies. Seems we are in agreement to a large degree. I wouldn't say legalize heroine, meth or cocaine because of their addictiveness & lack of any social value. People drink together, they smoke weed together, but they do not use coke, meth or heroine together much at all. Thats another thing altogether. The folks I knew who got involved with those drugs invariably shut the world out. Plus they often resort to crime to get their drugs. Never heard of anybody beating an old lady to get a joint.
"Hard" drugs were made to be evil by strict laws that were originally enacted due to ignorance. They were not "hard" prior to these laws being enacted.

The Case for Legalizing Heroin by Jeffrey Rogers Hummel

Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If a person thinks they are not impaired when they use marijuana, then it is more dangerous than alcohol. At least, drunks know they're drunk.
...and a casual drinker can have one beer and not be drunk, that does not hold true for smoking one joint. This is especially true when so many substances can be added to a joint to enhance its ability to cause it to be even more impairing.

The police can pull a driver over, and see if they are drunk with a breathalyzer, how can you tell if a smoker is high, or reached the point of being impaired, especially if he/she already flipped the joint out the window already?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and a casual drinker can have one beer and not be drunk, that does not hold true for smoking one joint. This is especially true when so many substances can be added to a joint to enhance its ability to cause it to be even more impairing.

The police can pull a driver over, and see if they are drunk with a breathalyzer, how can you tell if a smoker is high, or reached the point of being impaired, especially if he/she already flipped the joint out the window already?
Simple pin prick will tell you if they are high. Also, there wasn't always a breathalyzer, and I'm sure if one is needed for Marijuana, it would be invented really quickly.

Most people don't drink beer for the taste. I started drinking to get drunk, as do most people. I started drinking higher quality beer, because I realized it tasted better then the stuff I was drinking. Still, I drink it to catch a buzz.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
Maude "you're gonna make me actually debate? weeeee." LMAO

Well I'm glad it was good for you too!

I don't think I know many people who would want to grow it themselves even if they thought they could make money. I will have to ask around. Because it is hard to grow, and I think most weed smokers wouldn't want to put that much effort into it. That would kill the buzz!

I never had a problem getting weed. It was readily available where I am from. I don't smoke anymore so I'm really not sure how the supply/demand is now.

But I think the government would treat it just like cigarettes, they would tax it to death and it would be cheaper, if not the same price, to get it from the guy at the corner. And if it was legal, the guy at the corner could lower his prices because he could cut out more of the middle men that he wanted to take the fall if there was ever a problem. He would only need key distribution personnel. No more people getting paid to sit out front to make warning calls of the pigs coming.

And in stores, I would have to show proof of age. If I use the drug dealer I could get it delivered to my house at 4 in the morning when I need my fix! I don't think Rite Aid is down for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates