Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
LOL you think people will buy expensive store pot over the cheap pot that they have been buying for years, ya right, those pot growers will still not pay a cent in taxes
People pay for quality product. Higher end stuff easily fetches over $200/oz even in the places where a lot of it is grown (e.g. California

Quote:
People die because cocain is addictive and in order to get a high you have to keep increasing the dosages until eventually your heart goes or you od.
Straw man. Create another topic about cocaine if you want to talk about it.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks drug dealers are not violet are idiots.
I've met white, black, Hispanic etc. drug dealers. But they were never violet. If your skin's purple, something's seriously wrong.

Quote:
The vast majority of murders in this country are drug related. Plus whose to say organized crime won't change as it always has.
Organized crime is in the picture because it's an illegal trade. Just like the Mafia made a mint selling bootleg liquor during Prohibition.

Quote:
Maybe they will start to extort local pharmacies and just rob them of all their weed to keep their little monopoly. Your more likelly to spark a drug war by legalizing pot.
"Spark a drug war?" That's like saying they'll sink the Titanic.

I want my time back after picking apart this ridiculous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
LOL you think people will buy expensive store pot over the cheap pot that they have been buying for years, ya right, those pot growers will still not pay a cent in taxes

People die because cocain is addictive and in order to get a high you have to keep increasing the dosages until eventually your heart goes or you od.

Anyone who thinks drug dealers are not violet are idiots. The vast majority of murders in this country are drug related. Plus whose to say organized crime won't change as it always has. Maybe they will start to extort local pharmacies and just rob them of all their weed to keep their little monopoly. Your more likelly to spark a drug war by legalizing pot.
More slippery slope fallacies.

How many people grow their own tobaco or buy from small growers? Not very many. And it's quite simply due to the convinience.

Also, you'll find no one who thinks drug dealers are not violent. The money they make from trafficing illegal drugs almost mandates violence to ensure they are the only dealers in certain areas. Another slippery slope fallacy on your part. Making pot as easy to get as smokes will leave those drug dealers with only meth and herione, and other big time drugs. There isn't much repeat customers for those drugs, now are there. The idea that pot dealers would break into stores to steal pot to sell is simply asanine.

Also, people die because of the crap that coke gets mixed with. Coke, like booze and pot, has it's casual users, and it has their own abusers as well.

Quote:
Now I know why, I won't even go there. Its quite logical actually, you can only be searched for marijuana by a cop now if someone rats on you, you are shaking like a leaf infront of a cop or sweating bullets. You can still be tested by government even if marijuana is legalized or decriminalized, which is what will happen, marijuana won't be legalized, it will be decriminalized if it does happen which means the government can still reject you for having marijuana in your system because they will claim it impeers your job function or ability to work. Surprisingly yes it is more free, when it becomes legally everyone over 50 will suspect everyone under 35 of being a pot head and start to discriminate on age in hiring, no one wants to hire a pot head.
And everyone I know of that advocates legalizing pot agree that it should come under the same auspices as other controlled substances, like booze.

Your last sentance should be mailed to a universety somewhere so they can use it as a quite obvious example of a slippery slope fallacy.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 AM

261 posts, read 668,491 times
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
People pay for quality product. Higher end stuff easily fetches over $200/oz even in the places where a lot of it is grown (e.g. California"
On what planet, weed has become like a commodity, good weed bad weed sells all for the same price. Try and offer someone expensive weed they just find another weed dealer. I know because I went to highschool were drugs were bigger than other schools I supposed and all everyone but me obsessed with was weed. The price of weed in alberta or bc is the same price as weed in florida or NYC.

"Straw man. Create another topic about cocaine if you want to talk about it."
Prove its a straw man.

"I've met white, black, Hispanic etc. drug dealers. But they were never violet. If your skin's purple, something's seriously wrong."
They were not violent to YOU YET. Sure they may have have done transactions with you, but all it takes is for one "weed dealer" to decide that he is going to rob you instead because he has a gun and you don't and your life can be gone in an instant. Your right, most weed deals involve no violence, you can buy weed 99 times but it only takes 1 bad deal for you to lose your life. Drug dealers are violent people, there is no shortage of undercover cops who are shot by drug dealers. If drug dealers aren't violent watch shows like dea, why do you need a grenade in downtown detroit and uranium depleted shells and missle launchers, thats not gun rights thats violent criminals who should have no rights, by the way most gun wield ing drug dealers have illegal guns too.

"Organized crime is in the picture because it's an illegal trade. Just like the Mafia made a mint selling bootleg liquor during Prohibition."
Right and the Mafia simply went a way when alcohol was made legal, right what planet do you live on. Was al capone big yeah, but he never killed as many cops and people as the mobsters of the 60,70, 80s- like the gambinos and gatti crime families. If anything leallizing alcohol mant that the mafia just had to find more violent ways like extortion and drug dealing to make money. Criminals do not disappear, they are people who are dedicated to making money through illegal acts, history seems to show that one you gives these guys an inch they take a foot. You legalize beer they sell weed, cocaine and heroin, you legalize strip clubs they run prostitution rings. These guys will always operate outside the law.

""Spark a drug war?" That's like saying they'll sink the Titanic.

I want my time back after picking apart this ridiculous post.
"
yES give me my tiem back for making senseless statement

Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 AM

261 posts, read 668,491 times
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

How many people grow their own tobaco or buy from small growers? Not very many. And it's quite simply due to the convinience.

Also, you'll find no one who thinks drug dealers are not violent. The money they make from trafficing illegal drugs almost mandates violence to ensure they are the only dealers in certain areas. Another slippery slope fallacy on your part. Making pot as easy to get as smokes will leave those drug dealers with only meth and herione, and other big time drugs. There isn't much repeat customers for those drugs, now are there. The idea that pot dealers would break into stores to steal pot to sell is simply asanine."

The idiot above you thinks that drug dealers are not violent, burn.
I do agree with your statement prinicpals though. You cannot just state that anything you disagree with is a slippery slope, your misusuing the word. There are not repeat customers for Cocaine,meth and heroin, and you think I'm on slippery slope. You must be using both to believe that there are no repeat users of heroin. Heroin is one of the most addictive substances. One hit leaves you addicted for MONTHS if not years. Lets see meth is more used than MJ in rural and western states. 12 million people use meth, 34 million have used cocaine and 3 million HEROIN USERS. Thats nearly 50 million people so don't tell me a market doesn't exist and these markets are growing way faster than weed because there among suburban and rural people who traditionnaly stayed away from drugs.
So drug dealers are violent, and not even you, seemingly intelligent believes that drug dealers are not violent. If drug dealers rob other armed drug dealers what makes you think they won't rob unarmed stores who are just sitting ducks, like how pharamcies are getting robbed of oxycotin? How can someone so smart believe something so dumb?

"Also, people die because of the crap that coke gets mixed with. Coke, like booze and pot, has it's casual users, and it has their own abusers as well."
No they die because they use it in the first place.

"And everyone I know of that advocates legalizing pot agree that it should come under the same auspices as other controlled substances, like booze."
Your employer can fire you in USA without reason, they can still force you to take mandatory drug testings and fire you as a result of testing positive. Go and try and sue a court if you test positive for weed consumption and the judge will laugh at you and say the law is that an employer can fire you without reason, they don't like your hat you wore. The courts hear cases all day about people who were high on drugs committing crimes so they have 0 sympathy for drug users believe it or not. after you hear how some mother killed her baby you start to lose your sympathy for some guy arguing he should be able to use pot. In the words of judge judy, american s don't need to be dumber they are dumb enough as it is.

"Your last sentance should be mailed to a universety somewhere so they can use it as a quite obvious example of a slippery slope fallacy.
"
You have yet to identitfy such, so I will just assume it is he only argument you resort to when you get proven wrong

Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

Anyone who thinks drug dealers are not violet are idiots. The vast majority of murders in this country are drug related. Plus whose to say organized crime won't change as it always has. Maybe they will start to extort local pharmacies and just rob them of all their weed to keep their little monopoly. Your more likelly to spark a drug war by legalizing pot.
This makes no sense.

The reason Marijuana is as expensive as it is, is because its ILLEGAL.

If it were legalized, or decriminalized (which is the same thing), the price at the store would be as cheap, if not cheaper than buying from a dealer.

Also, any company can reject you for any kind of drug use, this also means cigarettes, alcohol, and prescription drugs.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

Growing tobacco is extremely hard. The leaves are very insect prone, and they die off if you don't baby sit them. Marijuana isn't like that, its a weed. If it weren't illegal, it would probably be growing in your yard naturally right now, in fact it may be. It needs very little TLC to make THC.

Quote:
Also, you'll find no one who thinks drug dealers are not violent. The money they make from trafficing illegal drugs almost mandates violence to ensure they are the only dealers in certain areas. Another slippery slope fallacy on your part. Making pot as easy to get as smokes will leave those drug dealers with only meth and herione, and other big time drugs. There isn't much repeat customers for those drugs, now are there. The idea that pot dealers would break into stores to steal pot to sell is simply asanine.
WTF do you know? Do you know your neighborhood dealer? Most dealers are just normal guys, trying to make a little money on the side. Most of what someone buys comes from the United States, by United States growers, and United States sellers. Marijuana has a low rate of violent dealers. You don't see people selling off everything they own for pot. Generally, 95% of users will just not buy if they don't have the money right then. The reason you think dealers get violence is when someone doesn't pay up.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Now I know why, I won't even go there. Its quite logical actually, you can only be searched for marijuana by a cop now if someone rats on you, you are shaking like a leaf infront of a cop or sweating bullets. You can still be tested by government even if marijuana is legalized or decriminalized, which is what will happen, marijuana won't be legalized, it will be decriminalized if it does happen which means the government can still reject you for having marijuana in your system because they will claim it impeers your job function or ability to work. Surprisingly yes it is more free, when it becomes legally everyone over 50 will suspect everyone under 35 of being a pot head and start to discriminate on age in hiring, no one wants to hire a pot head.
Sorry, but your logic is highly flawed and not even accurate. Fist of all, if pulled over and suspected of driving under the influence of anything a cop can search your car and have you tested. They have sobriety checkpoints (which should be illegal, it's not constitutional, it's an illegal search), and many of those checkpoints are used to prosecute pot smokers in addition to drinkers.

Most people face consequences at their jobs if tested for drugs, and Marijuana stays in your system longer than most drugs. If it were not illegal, it would be treated the same way as alcohol in an employer's eyes. As long as it does not affect job performance, it wont be a problem.

The stigma reasoning is just as dumb. Most old people who don't like young people for BS reasons like that already don't like young people. And who cares what crotchety old people think anyways? And regardless, the people who are 55+ now all lived through the 60s. And the people younger than 50 have views on pot that aren't as influenced by the moronic propaganda the government tried to use to scare people away from the harmless herb.

Sorry, but your logic isn't even flawed...it's nonexistent.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Wow, you don't understand much of anything about economics. First of all, legal pot is far cheaper than black market pot. How many people do you know buy Moonshine when Jack Daniels is available at 7-11? Who would risk prosecution for buying pot from an illegal dealer when a perfectly safe and legal alternative is available? You must be smoking some pretty serious stuff to have your brain that clouded from logic.

Quote:
Cocaine can kill in one snort, the person's first snort can kill them. It's not always about "increasing the dosage" that leads to ODs. Plus, it's not always a pure drug and can be cut with things that are dangerous, like Laundry detergent. Marijuana has none of these problems because it's a naturally growing plant that does not go through a chemical process to make it into a drug.

Quote:
Well duh, drug dealers are violent because they fight to keep territory, fight to keep from being ripped off and fight to expand their black market empires. Your "logic' in this paragraph is pathetic. Did you ever learn anything about the history of Alcohol prohibition? How did the Mafia gain power? Through bootlegging liquor during prohibition...how did they get brought down? Through the legalization of alcohol that ate into their profits. How do the cartels finance themselves? Through the illegal sale and transportation of drugs. Police become corrupt because drug dealers throw cash at them.

Pfizer would have FBI and Police protection of their Poppy Fields and their manufacturing plants, they wouldn't need to murder for protection, they'd have the cops. Gangs exist mostly because there's a demand for something illegal and they provide it. When Gambling became more legalized, the Mafia lost a lot of their financing and they've been incredibly weakened as a result.

It's amazing that someone could be so blind to logic and facts as you are. It's sad really. You should really think about an education because you obviously know nothing about history, economics or even business.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
""
You have yet to identitfy such, so I will just assume it is he only argument you resort to when you get proven wrong
Tit for tat.

Support your slippery slope fallacies, and I will gladly provide you with some links out of my favorites folder.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Growing tobacco is extremely hard. The leaves are very insect prone, and they die off if you don't baby sit them. Marijuana isn't like that, its a weed. If it weren't illegal, it would probably be growing in your yard naturally right now, in fact it may be. It needs very little TLC to make THC.
Never heard of hydroponics, I take it? There are plenty of tobbaco hydroponics chat forums and websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
WTF do you know? Do you know your neighborhood dealer? Most dealers are just normal guys, trying to make a little money on the side. Most of what someone buys comes from the United States, by United States growers, and United States sellers. Marijuana has a low rate of violent dealers. You don't see people selling off everything they own for pot. Generally, 95% of users will just not buy if they don't have the money right then. The reason you think dealers get violence is when someone doesn't pay up.
My home town is currently seeing multiple homicies daily becasue of drug gang violence. We sit right on the Canadian border. Towns along the south border of the US are also seeing drtug gang related violence as well, from kidnappings to beheadings.

As for the rest of your reply, spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates