Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Its a choice the same as having sex with animals or children.

By condoning same-sex marriage it is saying this is normal behavior which it clearly isn't.
hillman
And that is the reason why they push so hard on this issue. They have long had the freedom to conduct their lives as they wish in the privacy of their home.

But that's not good enough. They are demanding written statutory approval from society at large for their lifestyle choice. That is what this is all about.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:22 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,222 times
Everybody that is gay will tell you THAT IT WAS NOT A CHOICE to be gay. The surrounding? Then everybody with a gay sister or brother would be gay,too.

Why actually is it normal that a man has to be with a woman???? For reproduction?
How many people dont want to have children? Hate children and never, ever want children. Are those people not "normal"?
What about asexual people? Not "normal"?
What about husbands that cheat on their wife? What about married couples that dont want to start a family?
What about Hugh Hefner? Is he "normal"? What about singles that are tired of dating and relationships? Not "normal"?

My point is, who are you to tell me what NORMAL is? You are not a scientist, you are not GOD, you are not more educated than I am and you definitely do not have the right to tell people, who do not hurt anybody, that they are not normal.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Marriage is a legal contract moderated by the state. Nothing about nature or natural or whatever about it.
I am a childfree by choice middle-aged woman. Is any marriage I enter into unnatural because there are no children?
The state confers certain rights and responsibilities to those who marry. There is nothing there about children (unless there are children and they constitute responsibilites) and nothing about sexual practices or the lack thereof. It's a legal contract about legalities and financials and so forth.
So why wouldn't gay couples want the same rights and responsibilities conferred by the state? It's not about "lifestyle" (as if who one loves is a "lifestyle" like, say, living in the country or driving to work) but the legalities should be open to all couples, period.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Everybody that is gay will tell you THAT IT WAS NOT A CHOICE to be gay. The surrounding? Then everybody with a gay sister or brother would be gay,too.

Why actually is it normal that a man has to be with a woman???? For reproduction?
How many people dont want to have children? Hate children and never, ever want children. Are those people not "normal"?
What about asexual people? Not "normal"?
What about husbands that cheat on their wife? What about married couples that dont want to start a family?
What about Hugh Hefner? Is he "normal"? What about singles that are tired of dating and relationships? Not "normal"?

My point is, who are you to tell me what NORMAL is? You are not a scientist, you are not GOD, you are not more educated than I am and you definitely do not have the right to tell people, who do not hurt anybody, that they are not normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Marriage is a legal contract moderated by the state. Nothing about nature or natural or whatever about it.
I am a childfree by choice middle-aged woman. Is any marriage I enter into unnatural because there are no children?
The state confers certain rights and responsibilities to those who marry. There is nothing there about children (unless there are children and they constitute responsibilites) and nothing about sexual practices or the lack thereof. It's a legal contract about legalities and financials and so forth.
So why wouldn't gay couples want the same rights and responsibilities conferred by the state? It's not about "lifestyle" (as if who one loves is a "lifestyle" like, say, living in the country or driving to work) but the legalities should be open to all couples, period.
You both are free to throw common sense to the four winds, and it is very trendy now to do so. So by all means - do not let an hour go by without re-affirming your allegiance to the PC powers that be.

But sensible people know what normal is despite your shouting from the rooftops about "singles that are tired of dating".

Please............

Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And that is the reason why they push so hard on this issue. They have long had the freedom to conduct their lives as they wish in the privacy of their home.

But that's not good enough. They are demanding written statutory approval from society at large for their lifestyle choice. That is what this is all about.
Is heterosexuality a "lifestyle choice"?

Every homsoexual I know, couples and singles, their "lifestyle" consists of going to work every day, maybe out to te pub on Friday nights, catch a movie now and then or go tot he amusment park...

Yup, radically different "lifestyle".

Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You both are free to throw common sense to the four winds, and it is very trendy now to do so. So by all means - do not let an hour go by without re-affirming your allegiance to the PC powers that be.

But sensible people know what normal is despite your shouting from the rooftops about "singles that are tired of dating".

Please............
Love the hypocracy.

You claim everyone who supports Equality is buying into some prog-leftist agenda or "bowing to the PC police", while all the time YOU spout the right-wing Christian conservative mantra of discrimination based totally on fantasies.

So yes...

Please.........

Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well said.

A state recognized marriage is purely about confering kinship to the married couple for legal purposed such as power of attorny, visitation rights, property ownership, etc.

The US g'ment has never been in the business of "bloodlines" or encouraging offspring.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default If children were a requirement to marriage by the State

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Well said.

A state recognized marriage is purely about confering kinship to the married couple for legal purposed such as power of attorny, visitation rights, property ownership, etc.

The US g'ment has never been in the business of "bloodlines" or encouraging offspring.
They would ban marriage for all menopausal women, require a fertility test, and ban BC/Sterilization for all straight couples. They might also be snooping on all these married couples to make sure they were not have "unnatural" sex. But of course, "straight" MARRIED couples would never do that. They all want to be the Duggers.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,222 times
Quote:

Please............
You didnt address anything I wrote, you were only being cynical. What is common sense? What was common sense 200 years ago, or even 50 years. 50 years ago it was common sense that black people shouldnt have the same rights as white people.

Btw, I dont follow trends. I had and have my own opinion. There have always been gay people, its nothing new to me.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
You didnt address anything I wrote, you were only being cynical. What is common sense? What was common sense 200 years ago, or even 50 years. 50 years ago it was common sense that black people shouldnt have the same rights as white people.

Btw, I dont follow trends. I had and have my own opinion. There have always been gay people, its nothing new to me.
It is insulting to the struggles that black people endured to gain equality to attempt to equate race with homosexual behavior. There is no equivalency or comparison. They are not the same.

And with that, I am through with this thread as there will be no end to these trifles from the progressive handbook.

Good Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates