Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Hehehe....... blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah, blah.....etc. Theories, theories, theories....I truly couldn't give a whit what you believe...truly. It has no bearing on my happiness, beliefs, or knowledge. Pretty much everything I learned while attending school, with the exception of math, music and English, has been revealed to be inaccurate. I prefer to go on what is logical and sensible thank you....and I certainly don't rely upon others to provide me with my sense of logic. You certainly have the right to believe whatever you choose to believe. If someday, I find out I was wrong.....well, I'm okay with that. You see, I find every experience in my life to be a learning experience. People who are desperate to be "right" all the time...I have found to be extremely insecure.....and lonely. You have a wonderful day now.... course, that's your choice, isn't it?
There is nothing insecure or lonely about my life thank you. If one of my own children isn't around, then the grandchild is.

And there certainly IS a "need to be right" however, in the face of purposeful ignorance. And ESPECIALLY where Equality is concerned.

BTW, "theories", which are absed on scientific method and principles, far outstrips biblical nonsence in any catagory and in any manner whatsoever.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM

78,371 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually there is substantial evdence that homosexuality is a trait people are born with, much like being born left handed, which used to scare all the RW religious fanatic too.
Yep. I went to school with a guy that was flaming gay as far back as I can remember. Heck, looking back he was so OBVIOUSLY gay but I'd known him since kindergarten and it was just the way I'd always known him to act.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Hehehe....... blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah, blah.....etc. Theories, theories, theories....I truly couldn't give a whit what you believe...truly. It has no bearing on my happiness, beliefs, or knowledge. Pretty much everything I learned while attending school, with the exception of math, music and English, has been revealed to be inaccurate. I prefer to go on what is logical and sensible thank you....and I certainly don't rely upon others to provide me with my sense of logic. You certainly have the right to believe whatever you choose to believe. If someday, I find out I was wrong.....well, I'm okay with that. You see, I find every experience in my life to be a learning experience. People who are desperate to be "right" all the time...I have found to be extremely insecure.....and lonely. You have a wonderful day now.... course, that's your choice, isn't it?
Math, English, and Music huh? No science at all?

Did they tell you the moon was made of cheese or something? What exactly was wrong with the theory of relativity? Is an atom still made of primarily of protons, neutrons, and electrons?

I'm willing to bet most of the science you learned in school still holds up today.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:11 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Did they tell you the moon was made of cheese or something? What exactly was wrong with the theory of relativity? Is an atom still made of primarily of protons, neutrons, and electrons?

I'm willing to bet most of the science you learned in school still holds up today.
A notion so illogical and laughable I wasn't going to adrress it, actually.

Other than new discoveries along the way, science had held up pretty darn OK since I started school in the 1960's.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM

49 posts, read 105,388 times
My gay friends are just as amazing people as my straight friends. I have had more fun just hanging out with gay friends than a lot of straight friends. One of my gay guy friends from college was the MOST hilarious, fun, outrageous, smart, talented, and organized person I have ever met.

People are people. They do what they do. Marriage was created by religion. Now its regulated by the government. Many many many moons ago people woulddo something along the lines of saying to one another "we are married" and it was so Simpler times I'd love to have gay neighbors, gay friends, gay married people. They do no harm. Why put so much focus on them and their "wrongdoings"? Shouldn't our society's energy be more focused on the harmful people out their like rapists, child molesters, etc etc etc?? Who cares where the root of homosexuality comes from? Does it really matter anyways? Is it REALLY harming you that the person sitting next to you is gay? No. So get over it. Think about it. That gay guy next to you could very well be your best friend if you'd open your mind a little bit.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeptJeep View Post
My gay friends are just as amazing people as my straight friends. I have had more fun just hanging out with gay friends than a lot of straight friends. One of my gay guy friends from college was the MOST hilarious, fun, outrageous, smart, talented, and organized person I have ever met.

People are people. They do what they do. Marriage was created by religion. Now its regulated by the government. Many many many moons ago people woulddo something along the lines of saying to one another "we are married" and it was so Simpler times I'd love to have gay neighbors, gay friends, gay married people. They do no harm. Why put so much focus on them and their "wrongdoings"? Shouldn't our society's energy be more focused on the harmful people out their like rapists, child molesters, etc etc etc?? Who cares where the root of homosexuality comes from? Does it really matter anyways? Is it REALLY harming you that the person sitting next to you is gay? No. So get over it. Think about it. That gay guy next to you could very well be your best friend if you'd open your mind a little bit.
Actually marriage was not created by religion. The church only became involved in marriage in the late Middle Ages. Historically marriage has been a political move to align the interests of powerful families.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Nice try, but I'm pretty sure Hindus have had marriage ceremonies since time immemorial. Marriage ceremonies occur in some hunter-gatherer societies. In Christendom Jesus's first miracle is traditionally said to have occurred at a wedding. Pope St. Leo in the fifth century has mentions of a service for weddings.

If marriage had only been about "powerful families" than serfs and peasants would have had no marriage ceremonies, but this is clearly not so.

Now the idea that marriage is for "romantic love" is largely a modern notion. Traditionally reproduction, companionship, etc mattered more.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Oh yeah.....LOL...... I guess the science hasn't change much since then. There have definitely been some new discoveries. Hey, I gotta be honest with you, I'm far more interested in science now than I was in elementary, junior high and high school. Honestly, I couldn't have cared LESS what the moon was made of. I had far more important things to think about back then...so I thought! LOL Actually, until I went back to college as an older adult, I didn't really appreciate science at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Nice try, but I'm pretty sure Hindus have had marriage ceremonies since time immemorial. Marriage ceremonies occur in some hunter-gatherer societies. In Christendom Jesus's first miracle is traditionally said to have occurred at a wedding. Pope St. Leo in the fifth century has mentions of a service for weddings.

If marriage had only been about "powerful families" than serfs and peasants would have had no marriage ceremonies, but this is clearly not so.

Now the idea that marriage is for "romantic love" is largely a modern notion. Traditionally reproduction, companionship, etc mattered more.
Serfs and peasants weren't married until the church pushed for it in the late Middle Ages.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Serfs and peasants weren't married until the church pushed for it in the late Middle Ages.
This might be rude, but I'm really not going to just take your word on that. Can you at least show me an academically or journalistically respectable source to support this theory?

From what I can tell serfs in ancient Crete had marriage ceremonies.

Aristocratic Society in Acienty Crete - Google Books

Roman slaves could not marry unless manumitted, but apparently manumitted slaves "freedman" could marry.

People as Property: Systems of Servitude in Traditional Africa and Ancient Rome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates